What's new

New to Reciever w/HDMI. Looking for one, help me choose (1 Viewer)

dgrams2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Hi everyone.
First time here at HomeThreatreForum.

We are constructing a media room in our basement.
I picked up an Epson 5020U 3D projector, have an XBox 360, WesternDigital Media box, Panasonic 3d blu ray player, all hooking up thru HDMI.
Have a Bose speaker set (5.1) that I plan to use in the room

Looking for a receiver that wont break the bank. $300 range, perhaps.. (could go higher, but dont want to if I dont need to)

I dont care about networking and usb inputs all that much. If the receiver has them, great.. but its not a necessity.

I guess the only other thing I really care about is playing my video games through the receiver.. .and possibly getting lag in the sound. Are receivers now a days able to 'calibrate' lag in sound for specific inputs?
Not sure if that is something that is available either.. but that would be a nice to have.. almost a requirement.
I know I can do it on my 3D Blu Ray player (through the player) but not for video games.

So, here are a couple that I was looking at, but not finding much on reviews on the Sony.
Sony STR-DH540
or
Yamaha RX-V673/573 or 473

Looking for opinions on not just these.. but other items that may have what I need in my price range.

Like I said.. not looking for cream of the crop of far as features, but HDMI/3D, at LEAST 4 HDMI inputs, 5.1, $300-$360 and some kind of respectible brand name. If audio lag calibration is normal now a days in receivers - I would really like that as well.

Nice to haves: auto sound calibration for sound levels, audio calibration mic, network availablility, usb

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have bunches of choices. This Bose system...

Is it really 5.1, or 5.0 with a bass module?

Bose also makes auto room correct software(that would be YPAO, MCACC, Aud etc) a moot point. As Bose has its own proprietary BS going on.

Since you own Bose. Buy cheap.

RX-V463/7
Denon AVR1513
Onkyo 414/515

And so forth.

dgrams2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
The bose speakers are of the accustimass 6 series. Not sure what the differnce is between 5.0 and 5.1. There is a subwoofer... I would think we are talking 5.1

Anyhoo...
So, what does 'since you own Bose.. Buy cheap' mean?

I'll peek at the suggestions you made, but am curious to that last comment.
Are we saying the bose are crap.. so buy a cheap reciever..?

Of that the speakers are good, so I dont need a high end receiver... not sure how to take that, I guess.

Thanks.

Any other suggestions for receivers?

dgrams2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Okay.. I guess it is time for me to go google bass module vs subwoofer....
Can't do the Onkyo.. not enough hdmi inputs...

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
The Bose speakers have horrible frequency response which is why they use a bass module. The bass module doesn't go low on enough to be considered a sub woofer and simply inflates the mid range bass to give (you) the listener the perception of bass. We hear mid range bass very well but deep bass below 30hz -- not so much. Below 30 hz is the bass you feel more than you hear. A good subwwofer will extend into these lower frequencies and provide you with real bass that you can hear (above 30hz) and feel (below 30hz) The .1 refers to the low end bass found in all DD formats. This is the bass you will never get with your Bose bass module. Sorry if this seems blunt and I'm not mocking or picking at your Bose speakers.I agree with the recommendation to buy a very inexpensive receiver for your Bose speakers. Why spend extra money on power and frequency rsponse if you'll never be able to hear it?My advice to you would be to ditch the the Bose and buy speakers capable of taking advatnage of the full frequency range then buy a new AVR.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I just wanted to add one more thing. In our last house I did a finished basement and built a very nice sound proofed theater room. I also had a nice HD projector and a very large screen. I say this because building a room like this right cost a bit of money and if you are willing to take the time and go through the expense of building a nice HT room then why not have quality electronics and speakers? Spend some time here on the forum searching speakers and HT rooms before you buy anymore electronics.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Personally of the choices given above i would go for the Yamaha RX-673, i myself own a Yamaha ( A-1010 ) and like the sound quality, i agree that Bose are not ideal but i also look upon it long term and sometimes due to finances you need to upgrade a bit at a time, get the amp first and then when you can afford it you can upgrade your speaker system and also get a proper subwoofer as well.

As others have said, do lots of research, don't take my opinion or anyone else's opinion as gospel, do the research yourself and make your own mind up on what constitutes as quality AV gear, lots of great information at this site and all over the internet.

:EDITED: I did a typo and put look twice, i still have no option in the control panel to remove the edit notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks