What's new

Superman Returns - Original BD Release (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Went to watch Superman Returns for the first time in 2 years or so, and none of my Blu-ray players could play the disc.

My PS3 gave a rude warning that the video content could not be played, and both my new Sony BDP-S5100 and older Panasonic BD60 would play the disc, but it would stick and studder every minute or so (even during the opening disc logos and warnings).

This is the original Blu-ray release (with a lossy Dolby Digital track), and not the newer release with the Dolby TrueHD track.

Anyone know if Warner is offering a replacement program for what appears to be a defective disc?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It probably has disc rot of some sort, i have read about this on blu ray, indeed it has affected all disc formats including laserdisc and dvd, i think if you get in touch with Warner they will replace your disc, just explain it to them, they will probably send you the new one with the TrueHD track.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Rot

and its a worrying thing for people who've invested lots of money on 100's of their favourite movies, myself included

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
@willy

I agree, i had some DVD's affected by it, i haven't checked all my BD's but its a worry that some might not play in the future, it's one reason why i support the idea that we should all be allowed to make one backup copy to a hard drive for any disc purchase we make, now this was easy to do with the right software, at least in the past, now it's much harder since the introduction of Cinavia, of course hard drives can fail too but disc rot is such an annoying problem as you don't realise it's happened until you play the disc in question.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
In ten years, I've only had two discs become affected (that I know of). One was PRINCESS MONONOKE, which looks spotless and just doesn't play at all, and one is a season of THE WEST WING (I believe season two) where one of the discs skips like mad despite a decided lack of any scratches or obvious physical deformities.

It's terrifying, and I try not to think about it, ha.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow I hadn't heard of rot affecting BDs yet. I thought they were supposed to be doing things to combat/prevent that on BD. Great now I'm starting to fear for my collection's integrity. Time to check out that disc in particular...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Carlo Medina said:
Wow I hadn't heard of rot affecting BDs yet. I thought they were supposed to be doing things to combat/prevent that on BD. Great now I'm starting to fear for my collection's integrity. Time to check out that disc in particular...
It will only affect the BD-50 dual layer ones, your BD-25 single layer discs will be unaffected by rot, it won't be a huge problem and i'm sure 99.9% of all discs released will be fine, i wouldn't worry about it.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
FoxyMulder said:
@willy

I agree, i had some DVD's affected by it, i haven't checked all my BD's but its a worry that some might not play in the future, it's one reason why i support the idea that we should all be allowed to make one backup copy to a hard drive for any disc purchase we make, now this was easy to do with the right software, at least in the past, now it's much harder since the introduction of Cinavia, of course hard drives can fail too but disc rot is such an annoying problem as you don't realise it's happened until you play the disc in question.
Foxy, I back up all of my discs (am I allowed to say that?) FOR THIS VERY REASON and have never had a problem backing up a Blu-ray.

A keep one copy on my HDDs at home and another safety copy on HDDs in my store cupboard at work.

Steve W

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yorkshire said:
Foxy, I back up all of my discs (am I allowed to say that?) FOR THIS VERY REASON and have never had a problem backing up a Blu-ray.

A keep one copy on my HDDs at home and another safety copy on HDDs in my store cupboard at work.

Steve W
The problem with that is Cinavia, it's fine if the equipment is pre-2012 but after that a lot of equipment is coming out with Cinavia protection in it which mutes the audio after fifteen to twenty minutes of playback.

I'm considering buying a media player, the one i have in mind is the Mede8er MED600X3D because there is no Cinavia in it and it plays 3D BD ISO's from an HDD backup, i am all in favour of backing up our BD collections.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
FoxyMulder said:
The problem with that is Cinavia, it's fine if the equipment is pre-2012 but after that a lot of equipment is coming out with Cinavia protection in it which mutes the audio after fifteen to twenty minutes of playback.

I'm considering buying a media player, the one i have in mind is the Mede8er MED600X3D because there is no Cinavia in it and it plays 3D BD ISO's from an HDD backup, i am all in favour of backing up our BD collections.
Cheers Foxy.

MY WDTV Live SMP doesn't have Cinavia. Even if it were to be included in a future firmware upgrade (unlikely, as they've had plenty of time to do so but haven't) it's pretty easy to find & apply old firmware versions.

Unlike Blu-ray Players theese media players have no moving parts and are about as likely to break down as a tranny.

Steve W

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Warner Customer Service contacted me back and is sending me a prepaid mailer to ship the disc and case to them for inspection and likely replacement.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Todd Erwin said:
Warner Customer Service contacted me back and is sending me a prepaid mailer to ship the disc and case to them for inspection and likely replacement.
That's what i call great customer service, happy it worked out for you.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yep, if they do the right thing, they will replace it no-muss, no-fuss.

My hope is that all studios adopt a policy moving forward that if a disc is unplayable due to disc manufacturing defect (i.e. no visible scratches, extreme wear and tear, sun/heat exposure, etc.) that they will replace free of charge (or mailing costs at most).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
I wonder how this would apply to an OOP title?Or a Disney 'vault' or TT title?
Ugh, an answer I don't think we want to hear (but deep down inside we already know what that answer likely is)...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think for out of print titles they may have a small amount of stock held back for emergencies such as disc replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks