What's new

IMAX (1 Viewer)

fuzz092888

Agent
Real Name
Alex
Welcome to the future of no holds barred home theater rooms. IMAX is releasing a package where you provide a room (of their specifications) and they provide all the hardware and software. 5.1 surround, can be upgraded to 7.1, but no word yet as to whether or not the package will be upgrade-able from there. It also has dual 4K projectors capable of 2D or 3D and the screen is a nearly full wall curved screen. The system also automatically provides daily correction and analysis so that every time you use the theater it sound and looks as good as possible.

I'm probably leaving out a lot of features, but that's what links are for :D

http://www.imaxprivatetheatre.com/

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Looks interesting. I certainly don't mind the idea at least - but it seems like a very expensive 100+K sort of offering. When Dolby atmos downmixes are played back on appropriate hardware, cinema sound is not hard to replicate or even beat - I think many people just don't want to go through the trouble or come up with the budget.

fuzz092888

Agent
Real Name
Alex
I don't disagree at all. All three of the movie theaters around me don't sound as good as my home system, at least to my ears. Then again, I don't think any of them have been upgraded in 10+ years and if they have it sure doesn't sound like it.

What I'm most excited about, not being millionaire and all :P, is the trickle down of the technology. The 4K projectors are cool, but what I like the most is the auto room cal on steroids. That's what I'd most like to see come down the line, since I'm not a big fan of most commercial RC products. However, I'm still trying to carve out some time to try dirac which I've heard is very good.

I also agree about the time and budget. It's taken a lot longer than I thought it would to get things to where they are now, and a heck of a lot more effort than the average Joe would ever want to put in, but it is definitely possible.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
It has potential, but not to duplicate the present IMAX theater experience. My wife and I saw "Skyfall" at an IMAX, and she said "the sound isn't as good, and while the picture is larger, the color isn't as good. The seats aren't as comfortable, and popcorn isn't nearly as good as at home." My system is sort of mid level-a 7.1 relatively new set (current model Monitor 11) of Paradigms, a pair of subwoofers, a Panasonic 7000U projector on a DIY screen with good light control and attention to acoustics. And I don't find I have to "force the speakers to try to duplicate the cinema experience".

In a home environment, with some attention, they should be able to exceed the IMAX theater experience that is currently available in public theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks