Fox

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 of 30 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,493 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 27 2013 - 03:48 PM

They do release a lot of westerns and war pictures in advance of Father's Day. In any case and for whatever reason it's being released, I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but I am definitely going to pick this one up once the reviews are in. I wonder if it might be a Walmart exclusive?

No, it's available for preorder from Amazon, Foxconnect and other retailers.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#22 of 30 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 27 2013 - 04:24 PM

No, it's available for preorder from Amazon, Foxconnect and other retailers.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the Father's Day exclusives like we saw at Walmart and Target just a couple of years ago are done. Between MGM and Fox there were some great deals, but I don't remember if there were any last year. I hope we hear about more vintage westerns and war movie Blus coming out for the holiday in June.

#23 of 30 Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted April 27 2013 - 04:57 PM

I don't get the Twilight Time limited eidtion farm out. This isn't to impugn Twilight Time's product which by all accounts is first rate. But their discs are more expensive than Criterion and there's yet to be one to justify $65 for a single film... Maybe I'm bitter I can't afford some of the titles BUT it really does cut off a lot of great films from a good many audiences. Certainly aren't going to be getting many blind purchases.

:(

Just say Walsh's "The Big Trail" in Fox grandeur, amazing. Highly recommend.

#24 of 30 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,003 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 27 2013 - 06:36 PM

They do release a lot of westerns and war pictures in advance of Father's Day. In any case and for whatever reason it's being released, I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but I am definitely going to pick this one up once the reviews are in. I wonder if it might be a Walmart exclusive?

It was not mentioned as a Walmart exclusive in the press information I received.

#25 of 30 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 01:51 PM

Actually, I agree with you more than you think, but I do disagree with your assertion about Blu-ray's acceptance with the general public.

As to In Old Arizona, IMO, I think Fox wanted to release a western in June as far as their marketing strategy.  Why this particular title, only Fox can answer for sure, but I have some speculation on my part.  First off, it's probably about timing more than anything else and what's ready right now for BD.  Jesse James is upcoming later this year and I wouldn't want the sequel The Return of Frank James to come out beforehand.  Secondly, other westerns like Brigham Young, Western Union, My Darling Clementine, The Ox-Bow Incident, Garden of Evil, The Gunfighter, Broken Arrow and etc. might be targeted for later releases or being farmed out to Twilight Time or Criterion.

Last Fall, I did have a conversation with Fox's main restoration guy Schawn Belston about My Darling Clementine.  He gave me an impression that some more work needs to be done on My Darling Clementine before it's ready for BD.  I did express to him that both versions need to be included in any further BD release.  I think Fox is well aware of their "A" western classics that need to be released on BD.

First off, Fox had better not farm out its A westerns to Twilight time, but The Ox-Bow Incident, My Darling Clementine, and The Gunfighter I could see Criterion being interested in. Also, considering the very poor state of The DVD of MDC, I'm happy that Fox is doing more work on that title.

#26 of 30 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,493 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 28 2013 - 03:10 PM

First off, Fox had better not farm out its A westerns to Twilight time, but The Ox-Bow Incident, My Darling Clementine, and The Gunfighter I could see Criterion being interested in. Also, considering the very poor state of The DVD of MDC, I'm happy that Fox is doing more work on that title.

Why shouldn't they?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#27 of 30 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 04:09 PM

I wouldn't mind if Fox followed up with

CiscoKid-1931.jpg

#28 of 30 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 12:00 PM

It's too bad Fox never put out a Cisco Kid box set with the Romero films too.

#29 of 30 Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 11:34 PM

The first film available on DVD and blu-ray should have been "The Jazz Singer" , and the ony title available the first 30 days.

#30 of 30 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted May 15 2013 - 09:34 AM

Why shouldn't they?

Westerns I feel are more marketable than some other genres and also could move more units and generate more sales for Fox than say, soap operas. I personally have nothing against Twilight Time, but Fox really should consider films like TOBI, MDC, Bravados, and Gunfighter marketable due to the prescence of Gregory Peck and Henry Fonda in those films. They are two of the more bankable classic actors IMO. If Fox or Criterion released these, they would also reach a wider audience which is important as these four films I have mentioned really hold up well today.

Edit: I have nothing against classic soap operas, but something tells me that a classic western would sell more BDs than something like Peyton Place or The Best of Everything (neither of which have been announced, by the way).

Edited by Lromero1396, May 15 2013 - 09:38 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users