29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 05:55 AM

img7.jpg

Synopsis

A charismatic bandit must outsmart the sheriff trying to catch him and a double-dealing Mexican beauty in this Western that was nominated for 5 Academy Awards®, including Best Picture. Featuring an Oscar®-Winning performance by Warner Baxter as The Cisco Kid, IN OLD ARIZONA is a must-own cinematic treasure for any classic film fan.

In Old Arizona Blu-ray

Street Date:

June 4, 2013

Prebook Date:

May 8, 2013

Screen Format:

Widescreen 4:3 (1.20:1)

Audio:

English 1.0 Mono DTS-HD-MA

Subtitles:

English, Spanish

U.S. Rating:

NR

Total Run Time:

139 minutes

Closed Captioned:

Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,744 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 25 2013 - 06:45 AM

Well this is a surprise.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 07:35 AM

IN OLD ARIZONA (1928) is only 99 minutes. So there must be a supplement or something to account for the additional time listed.

The southwestern locations are what I enjoy the most about this early talkie. The location photography is quite spectacular and conveys a real feel for the west. One of the locations is the Sujuaro cactus park that later became Old Tucson Studio. To see that landscape in 1928 is no different than how the pioneers saw it in the 1870s.

I wish Fox had included the follow-up THE CISCO KID (1931). Although unknown today, it is an important early talkie and one of the principle westerns of the 1930s. The last installment in the trilogy, RETURN OF THE CISCO KID (1939) is a mod:

http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,930 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 25 2013 - 12:20 PM

Neat, I might upgrade the DVD if this is cheap enough at some point. I mostly remember it for a short sequence where there is a panning shot from a stagecoach to a boardwalk, or vice versa, and it just about the most perfectly framed thing you will ever see. If the DVD wasn't buried in a box in my basement, I'd give you a running time to check it out!

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,310 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 25 2013 - 12:29 PM

I could not be happier that Fox is dipping into its early sound films. How about Sunny Side Up?

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted April 25 2013 - 12:54 PM

I'll be getting this one.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 01:44 PM

This is a most interesting release for Fox. They opt to license Leave Her to Heaven, but release an early talkie which has less potential market value. I'll be interested to see what kind of numbers this one turns.

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,930 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 25 2013 - 01:50 PM

This is a most interesting release for Fox. They opt to license Leave Her to Heaven, but release an early talkie which has less potential market value. I'll be interested to see what kind of numbers this one turns.

I was thinking that too. An early talking western with no current star power/name recognition is getting a retail bluray release? I'd think that Cisco Kid would get one before this since people actually know the name "Cisco Kid".

I will continue to be completely baffled by the major studios decisions on catalogue titles.

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,530 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 26 2013 - 12:35 AM

This reminds me of STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER getting a Blu release while much more popular titles are consigned to limited editions or to languish in the vaults forever. Does anyone else think Fox uses a Ouija board to plan their releases?

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,326 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 26 2013 - 12:44 AM

Though I am a big Western buff, I had never heard of this "first major talkie Western." I definitely have to see it.

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 01:08 AM

I preprdered this on Amazon, its currently $14.99. I def want to support Fox continueing to issue films like this on Blu. Hopefully Sunrise will come soon.

#12 of 30 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 26 2013 - 02:03 AM

This reminds me of STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER getting a Blu release while much more popular titles are consigned to limited editions or to languish in the vaults forever. Does anyone else think Fox uses a Ouija board to plan their releases?

No, but we shouldn't underestimate the importance of this film.  Hopefully, other significant films to film history will be released too.

It's not only the first western to use sound, but the first talkie that was filmed outdoors.  Also, it introduced to film audiences The Cisco Kid character.  Raoul Walsh one of my favorite directors was scheduled to direct this film and also star as The Cisco Kid until an auto accident caused him to drop out of the production.   Eventually that accident caused him to lose sight in one eye, thus the famous eye patch he wore for years.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted April 26 2013 - 10:25 AM

Warner Baxter won the best actor Academy Award for his performance in this movie.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,530 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 26 2013 - 02:03 PM

No, but we shouldn't underestimate the importance of this film.  Hopefully, other significant films to film history will be released too.

I;m not disputing its significance to film history, just its inclusion as a mass market entry for a format which is still struggling to establish its identity. Casual Blu buyers won't even give this one a first glance, much less a second one, but you can't tell me that many of the Twilight Time titles wouldn't sell better than this. Even amongst cinephiles this isn't as qualified as many titles in the Fox library. I personally love the film and am glad it's coming out, but some of the choices Fox makes at least SEEM bewildering on the surface.

I do know, however, that westerns have their fans and maybe Fox can prove that the DVD of IN OLD ARIZONA was a best seller for them, which would help explain it.

#15 of 30 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 26 2013 - 03:52 PM

I;m not disputing its significance to film history, just its inclusion as a mass market entry for a format which is still struggling to establish its identity. Casual Blu buyers won't even give this one a first glance, much less a second one, but you can't tell me that many of the Twilight Time titles wouldn't sell better than this. Even amongst cinephiles this isn't as qualified as many titles in the Fox library. I personally love the film and am glad it's coming out, but some of the choices Fox makes at least SEEM bewildering on the surface.

I do know, however, that westerns have their fans and maybe Fox can prove that the DVD of IN OLD ARIZONA was a best seller for them, which would help explain it.

I don't agree that the format is still struggling to establish its identity.  As to why this title is being released, only Fox can answer that question with whatever marketing data they have to support its release.

Crawdaddy

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,530 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 26 2013 - 05:21 PM

I don't agree that the format is still struggling to establish its identity. 

Robert, I don't think you have ever agreed with anything I've posted, but the year is still young! ;)

I would have bet that the first Warner Baxter title to hit Blu would be 42nd STREET. But as I posted, westerns, even those not featuring John Wayne, seem to do very well on DVD and Blu so my guess is that's why it's slated. If we start seeing more vintage westerns coming out it would probably lend more credence to the notion that came out this week regarding catalog titles and Blu possibly skewing toward older consumers. Most of the young people I know and talk to on a daily basis are not western fans, which strikes me as being very sad.

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 07:00 PM

InOldArizona-1928-Fox-half_zpsfeb5c537.j

InOldArizona-1929-Fox-insert_zps248c5400

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,310 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 27 2013 - 04:56 AM

Great posters! Thanks.

#19 of 30 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,703 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 27 2013 - 11:46 AM

Robert, I don't think you have ever agreed with anything I've posted, but the year is still young! ;)

I would have bet that the first Warner Baxter title to hit Blu would be 42nd STREET. But as I posted, westerns, even those not featuring John Wayne, seem to do very well on DVD and Blu so my guess is that's why it's slated. If we start seeing more vintage westerns coming out it would probably lend more credence to the notion that came out this week regarding catalog titles and Blu possibly skewing toward older consumers. Most of the young people I know and talk to on a daily basis are not western fans, which strikes me as being very sad.

Actually, I agree with you more than you think, but I do disagree with your assertion about Blu-ray's acceptance with the general public.

As to In Old Arizona, IMO, I think Fox wanted to release a western in June as far as their marketing strategy.  Why this particular title, only Fox can answer for sure, but I have some speculation on my part.  First off, it's probably about timing more than anything else and what's ready right now for BD.  Jesse James is upcoming later this year and I wouldn't want the sequel The Return of Frank James to come out beforehand.  Secondly, other westerns like Brigham Young, Western Union, My Darling Clementine, The Ox-Bow Incident, Garden of Evil, The Gunfighter, Broken Arrow and etc. might be targeted for later releases or being farmed out to Twilight Time or Criterion.

Last Fall, I did have a conversation with Fox's main restoration guy Schawn Belston about My Darling Clementine.  He gave me an impression that some more work needs to be done on My Darling Clementine before it's ready for BD.  I did express to him that both versions need to be included in any further BD release.  I think Fox is well aware of their "A" western classics that need to be released on BD.

• lukejosephchung likes this

Crawdaddy

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,530 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 27 2013 - 02:58 PM

They do release a lot of westerns and war pictures in advance of Father's Day. In any case and for whatever reason it's being released, I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but I am definitely going to pick this one up once the reviews are in. I wonder if it might be a Walmart exclusive?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users