Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Who Framed Roger Rabbit -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 01:49 PM

Wow!

That's the first word that comes to mind when I think of Robert Zemekis' Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  (I've always wondered what became of the question mark.)

I saw this opening day at Radio City, and every bit of it has stayed with me.

Lovers of animated features, Hollywood history, and our subject at hand, Mr. Rabbit, having been waiting for this one.  With a few questionable releases coming from Disney, WFRR could have gone either way.

Fortunately, the Blu-ray is brilliant on all accounts.

Reproducing the original look and textures of the film, and now with DTS-HD MA, this Amblin production from Touchstone (Disney), is perfect, and an absolute must own for anyone who loves film.

Cooperation from the various studios, who own the multitude of animated characters was essential, and Disney received it.

This is a very shot "few words," as more simply aren't necessary.

Brilliant film.

Perfect Blu-ray presentation.

Image - 5 *

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Two quick notes:  I've not checked to see if any of the single frame artwork discussed for years was left intact.  Interest is there, but time is not.

Three Roger Rabbit shorts are included, along with a ton of extras.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 24 2013 - 03:19 PM

And yet, there have been complaints about the transfer, from people who either willfully or obstinately refuse to understand what film really looks like or what multiple opticals are.  As you say - a perfect transfer.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted April 24 2013 - 03:23 PM

I saw this film theatrically in 1988 and every video incarnation of it has been noticably inferior to it...until now!!! Happy to have this film-like rendition of one of my favorite live-action/animation hybrid features...now, if we can ever get "Song Of The South" to look and sound this good in HD at our homes, I'll REALLY be a happy camper!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,653 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 25 2013 - 04:24 AM

Great movie. Great transfer. 'Nuff said.

"I'm not bad... I'm just drawn that way."

• Adam Gregorich likes this

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 05:31 AM

Yeah I think it says a lot when lousy critics (of which there are many) straining for something to gripe about just complain about visual effects.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Oblivion138

Oblivion138

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 12:03 AM

Great to hear you chime in on this one.  I've seen the most absurd complaints regarding this transfer.  When I watched it, it looked more or less perfect to me.  Considering all the opticals, this is as good as we're gonna get.  And it's fantastic.  Loved revisiting this classic, and the presentation is spot-on!

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted April 26 2013 - 09:44 AM

Yep. Was baffled by some bad reviews for this one, usually from the screenshot scientists. The Blu-ray looks wonderful and film-like.

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 09:23 AM

I watched this blu-ray this past weekend and it is one of the few (if only) Disney blu-rays that make me feel like I am actually projecting film. I hope their live action films continue to look like this on blu-ray. Can't wait to see what Mary Poppins looks like; I have my fingers crossed.
  • lukejosephchung likes this

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted April 29 2013 - 04:37 PM

I watched this blu-ray this past weekend and it is one of the few (if only) Disney blu-rays that make me feel like I am actually projecting film. I hope their live action films continue to look like this on blu-ray. Can't wait to see what Mary Poppins looks like; I have my fingers crossed.

Considering that next year is "Mary Poppins" 50th Anniversary and it's never seen an HD release, I'm sure Disney is busy tweaking their presentation and putting all the bells and whistles commensurate with this milestone release for blu-ray!!!

Edited by lukejosephchung, April 29 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 29 2013 - 10:30 PM

The Academy of Motion Pictures had a 25th Anniversary screening with the cast and crew present last month and they ran a new 4k DCP that had one of the most "film-like" presentations I'd ever seen.  Perfect brightness and clarity, plenty of grain, perfect.  The new Blu-ray supposedly comes from the same master and it looks it.

I wish they all looked this good. 

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   zoetmb

zoetmb

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted May 13 2013 - 07:45 PM

Yep. Was baffled by some bad reviews for this one, usually from the screenshot scientists. The Blu-ray looks wonderful and film-like.

"scientists" is not the word I would use.    There's a different word I would use and it describes something you would usually do when by yourself.   Many people who post on the web have no idea what film is supposed to look like.   They want everything to look like a videogame or soap opera.   The fear going forward is that "film" studio execs will think that those people are the market. 

• Stephen_J_H likes this

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 10:26 AM

I've not checked to see if any of the single frame artwork discussed for years was left intact.  Interest is there, but time is not.

Sadly, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I'm sure the transfer (of what they did transfer) looks great, but I'd never be able to feel comfortable calling it a "perfect presentation" until they give us the movie intact. However minor the changes are in functional terms and however few people may even notice them, I have a hard time supporting and reinforcing them with my money.

Edited by Doctorossi, May 14 2013 - 10:27 AM.

• cafink likes this

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,384 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 14 2013 - 04:37 PM

Sadly, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I'm sure the transfer (of what they did transfer) looks great, but I'd never be able to feel comfortable calling it a "perfect presentation" until they give us the movie intact. However minor the changes are in functional terms and however few people may even notice them, I have a hard time supporting and reinforcing them with my money.

Are we talking about the naughty bits snuck in by animators on the sly? If so, do you think it was the intent of the filmmakers to have Jessica's privates exposed? Surely the film makers have the right to release the film minus what is really vandalism on the part of some animators.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted May 15 2013 - 07:08 AM

Are we talking about the naughty bits snuck in by animators on the sly? If so, do you think it was the intent of the filmmakers to have Jessica's privates exposed? Surely the film makers have the right to release the film minus what is really vandalism on the part of some animators.

The animators are also the "filmmakers." Film is a collaborative medium.

Further, the movie is intended as an homage to classic animation, and those old cartoons were chock full of in-jokes like these. I doubt that Robert Zemeckis was unaware of them, or objected to them. The decision to censor them was the studio's doing.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted June 01 2013 - 11:33 AM

Didn't they also digitally erase Baby Herman's finger at one point?

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted June 01 2013 - 03:06 PM

Baby Herman's finger is still not there as far as I can tell.

The only one of these hidden jokes that made no sense to me was 

the suposed  pantyless shot after the car wreck.

if she wasnt wearing anything shouldnt there be something to see besides a flat spot

facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted June 03 2013 - 07:53 AM

The only one of these hidden jokes that made no sense to me was 

the suposed  pantyless shot after the car wreck.

if she wasnt wearing anything shouldnt there be something to see besides a flat spot

Depends on whether toon anatomy corresponds to human anatomy. She may be like a Barbie doll under that dress. :)

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted June 24 2013 - 03:36 PM

Just got done watching it on my 110" screen and it does look pretty good. It is a step up from the last DVD, but the dark scenes where the rich black is in the DVD, is now converted to (blue/purple) in many scenes, makes me think I wasted my money.

It really made me feel I was watching one of those cheap PD color films that showed all blacks as blue/purple or blown out blacks. It really took me out of the picture enjoyment feeling.

The same thing happened in The Wolfman, with the blown out blacks all thru the movie. In the reviews I read, they give that a passing remark, but it really ruins the film for people with PJs and large screens.

Maybe the people that make these BDs should watch this films on large screens to see if they screwed up in any way before they let them go to authoring...and to me, they sure did this time!

Edited by John Sparks, June 24 2013 - 06:39 PM.

...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted June 25 2013 - 07:32 AM

Blue/purple blacks sounds more like a color temperature issue with your projector than something in the video transfer. Have you had yours calibrated recently?

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted June 25 2013 - 05:52 PM

JoshZ

That black issue has been brought up by other reviewers, mainly Blu-ray.com and HDDigest for The Wolfman. Some people can deal with it but I can't. My PJ (Epson 9500 UB) was ISFed by Avical a few years ago, so it's not the PJ, or I would have seen it more often. It's only been those two BDs. It's the crappy authoring I tell ya and I'm stickin' to that story!  :o)

http://www.blu-ray.c...t-Blu-ray/7849/

http://bluray.highde...lfman_2010.html

Edited by John Sparks, June 25 2013 - 06:20 PM.

...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users