What's new

5.1 over HDMI (1 Viewer)

Utsav Sabharwal

Auditioning
I want to send 5.1 via HDMI from my PC to my HT.

I tried everything but failed.

Please help.

Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4250
HT: Yamaha HTR-2064
Test Used:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The HDMI on the 4250 (inbuilt) will not send bitstream audio over HDMI, only 2-Channel Stereo OR Dolby Digital (non-HD) and DTS (non-HD). To do bitstream audio (DTSHD/DD-HD), you must have an ATI 5xxx series or higher, same with multi-channel LPCM.

To do standard AC3 (non-HD), you must make sure that your speaker setup inside of Windows7 is set at TWO CHANNELS, otherwise Windows will decode the soundstream for you, and not pass it digitally, only the decoded analog.
This will just not function.

Good luck!

Utsav Sabharwal

Auditioning
mattCR said:
The HDMI on the 4250 (inbuilt) will not send bitstream audio over HDMI, only 2-Channel Stereo OR Dolby Digital (non-HD) and DTS (non-HD). To do bitstream audio (DTSHD/DD-HD), you must have an ATI 5xxx series or higher, same with multi-channel LPCM.

To do standard AC3 (non-HD), you must make sure that your speaker setup inside of Windows7 is set at TWO CHANNELS, otherwise Windows will decode the soundstream for you, and not pass it digitally, only the decoded analog.
This will just not function.

Good luck!

Is there any other way I can get 5.1? Like SPDIF or something?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Only if the content is Dolby DIgital. Otherwise, SPDIF is also 2 channel stereo.

You can use the analog outputs to use windows inbult decoder, but the 4250, which is inbuilt into the board, simply doesn't support multi-channel LPCM, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks