Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any chance "The New Leave It to Beaver" will be released?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 of 52 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted October 06 2013 - 11:22 PM

Yeah, but this is the tv-on-DVD forum, not the tv-on-vhs forum. So your point isn't being helpful. I don't know, Neil, I thought you had worked past this kind of thing, but here you go again--rubbing people's noses in it, if they didn't have the foresight to record something off-air thirty years ago.

Yes, and DVD will never be the cure-all solution for having had foresight thirty years ago. Because as we've seen time and time again, some shows will never come out and many that do will be tinkered with (Northern Exposure, all of the Cannell shows, My Three Sons, etc.) Unfortunately, getting on board thirty years later carries with it many disappointments. Sorry that bringing up lack of foresight is such a sore point but I suppose I would be angry as well if it was me that was in that situation. One can't go back in time and correct those choices. But, hey, you can also feel better about all of the time and money that you didn't spend on recording shows that DID come out in much better quality than those old 16mm off-air records. Two sides to every coin and look how much you saved by not recording things like Man From UNCLE, The Fugitive and hundreds of others series that eventually made it to DVD.

#42 of 52 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,090 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 09:19 AM

what did they do to my three sons ?

#43 of 52 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 615 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 11:08 AM

They hired two of the biggest talentless hacks in Roy Braverman and Mark Heyes to rescore ALL of the background music.

#44 of 52 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 473 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted October 07 2013 - 11:25 AM

They hired two of the biggest talentless hacks in Roy Braverman and Mark Heyes to rescore ALL of the background music.

It sounds to me like the issuers of MY THREE SONS ran into legal issues regarding the show's original score. What a shame!

CHEERS!

#45 of 52 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted October 08 2013 - 04:09 PM

It sounds to me like the issuers of MY THREE SONS ran into legal issues regarding the show's original score. What a shame!

CHEERS!

You mean the Capitol Hi-Q Music Library, but I know Naked City: The Complete Series will be released next month and the first season of half-hour episodes have the background music from the same library before they went to the Billy May and Nelson Riddle scores for the hour-long seasons.

#46 of 52 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted October 08 2013 - 05:11 PM

That is really depressing news about the "My Three Sons" rescoring -- that ultra-simplistic score was a great part of that show's charm -- I would love the fact that they used the same music cue, everytime for years, just after the main title sequence (and would often repeat the same cue through most episodes at least once).

Also, "The Danny Thomas Show" -- I have to admit that the show turned into a different entity once Marjorie Lord joined the cast -- I think perhaps Danny thought along these lines, rather than some feud with Lena Lamont (she'll always be Lena to me!) -- I'd put the show, especially the later seasons, on par with "The Dick Van Dyke Show", quality wise -- also I think Marjorie Lord herself owns the rights to certain seasons of the show -- this was something I'd heard over the years -- any truth to it?

Regarding Qintex, founded by Christopher Skase, who is a legend (of the worst kind) down here in Australia (read his Wikipedia page for the full story) -- pretty sure he was behind the colorized versions of both "McHale's Navy" and "The Munsters", and they could be still appearing through Universal (McHale ran on digital channels down here 3-4 years ago) -- "The New Leave it to Beaver" ran down here in the mid-80s, and hasn't been seen down here since (nor the original series for that matter)

#47 of 52 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted October 08 2013 - 05:35 PM

I always got a kick out of Lumpy too.  Lumpy and Eddie Haskell was always a good team up. But the whole cast was perfect.

#48 of 52 OFFLINE   John Karras

John Karras

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 05:54 PM

I don't think anyone has ever claimed that the master elements to The New Leave it to Beaver are lost. The only issue is the rights which are in legal limbo.

The problem is the TNLITB was completely assembled, edited etc. on videotape from bits and pieces of raw film elements. No assembled film print exists for any episode.

#49 of 52 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 09:55 PM

- also I think Marjorie Lord herself owns the rights to certain seasons of the show -- this was something I'd heard over the years -- any truth to it?

Not that I'm aware of.

#50 of 52 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 09:56 PM

CHEERS!

Well, thankfully they ran on Nick and Nite complete and uncut and ... oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

#51 of 52 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,090 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 09:55 AM

we are all different, but i am not envious of anyone owning something they taped 20 years ago.

i have viewed lately what our over the air broadcasts looked like back then.

there is simply too much available on dvd and blu-ray, that i dont think there is anything that i want to watch with the old clarity.

to me, it is like asking me to swim in the bathtub after i have been in the ocean !!!

and as i said, i think most stuff will eventually come out.  i will simply wait and allow the tv world to stop by.

i have already had so many visitors that i may not be able to talk to all of them !!!

• Tony Bensley likes this

#52 of 52 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 473 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted October 14 2013 - 04:05 PM

In response to jimmyjet's above post, I do largely agree with his statements, with a few caveats:

In the last few years,I have disposed of about 75% of my VHS Tapes (Pre-Recorded and otherwise!), and have noticed that over the air broadcasts often look (And Sound!) rather shabby, especially when compared to newer technology (DVD/BluRay & HD Video in general!).  Personally, I often find poor audio to be even more off putting than issues with VHS Video.  Unlike any DVD and BluRay Player/Recorder, most VCR'S (Especially Pre 1990's!) lacked even Stereo Audio Reproductive Capability, and Sound quality generally ranged from decent to very poor, often reproducing muffled, hard to decipher dialogue even at maximum volume levels!

With that said, there are examples of VHS Video that are of very decent quality, in terms of audio and visual.  In such cases as these, for which there is no disc equivalent for a certain title and for whatever reason, likely won't be anytime soon, transferring VHS Titles to DVD can be a viable alternative that can produce surprisingly pleasant results (One caveat: Some Pre-Recorded Tapes do have guards that prevent transfer!).  My advice to Neil Brock, and anyone else that may wish to preserve their Video Taped programs would be to purchase a DVD Recorder for that purpose, as I've done with a number of my Videos that will otherwise, very likely NEVER appear on disc (Especially of the Homemade Variety!)! 

CHEERS!

Edited by Tony Bensley, October 14 2013 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users