Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Variable Audio Output?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Doug Hess

Doug Hess

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 06:01 PM

Okay, videophiles, I could use your help. The tube TV in my bedroom appears to finally be ready to ride off into the big trash heap in the sky, and I guess that means it's going to be time for a new flat panel.

I've always been a plasma guy, but for the bedroom I think I'd prefer LED-lit LCD. I'd like one with a matte screen, but that's not what I'd call a deal-breaker.

But the hardest part is going to be finding a TV with variable analog audio outs. This used to be found on nearly any TV, and now it's nearly impossible to find. I've found a Vizio with that elusive feature, but I have a reflexive (and maybe irrational) aversion to Vizio.

So here's the question: Is there a decent but not-too-expensive TV, 47-50", that has variable outs? What would you recommend?

-Doug

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,355 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 20 2013 - 07:42 AM

Variable output(especially analog) has practically died.

Toshiba, last I checked, still had it...both ways.

That isn't a feature I look for anymore in TV. As long as it has a toslink(or coax) I'm good to go. I haven't listened to a TV in ages and when I design a theater, the only thing I check for is an audio output on the TV. 95% of people buy soundbars(of those w/o full blown theaters. The concept of "amp and a pair of speakers" is difficult for Joe Blow to grasp.. :rolleyes: ).

I assume you want an external amp and a pair of speakers. If Vizio makes you cringe(which it should)...try Toshiba. Even theirs w/o analog are still variable on the digital and you can run a optical/RCA converter to achieve the same result.

Edited by schan1269, April 20 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,355 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 20 2013 - 07:48 AM

By the way as well...stay away from LCD/DVD-BD combos. All of them have audio outputs.

But, the audio output on them is just for the DVD-BD part.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Doug Hess

Doug Hess

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks, Schan. You're right about why I want it. I have a bedroom system and want to use the TV to control the volume. I'll take a look at Toshiba!

-Doug

P.S. Did you know that the "tos" in "toslink" actually comes from Toshiba? It's true. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users