What's new

Sony Mastered in 4K Blu-rays Available For Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
totalrecall.jpg
battle.jpg
other.jpg
karate.jpg
angels.jpg
amazing.jpg
spider.jpg
ghost.jpg
taxi.jpg
glory.jpg

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The old release of Ghostbusters was mastered in 4K, this is just marketing hyperbole.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
These are made for 4k players and/or tv's aren't they? So the old bluray wouldn't be the same thing.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
TonyD said:
These are made for 4k players and/or tv's aren't they? So the old bluray wouldn't be the same thing.
Nope, standard 1080p, only with a slightly higher bit rate. As mentioned previously this is Superbit all over again.

There isn't enough room on current Blu-ray discs to hold an entire feature in 4k.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The packaging says optimised for 4k TVs, which obviously means these are just normal 1080p Blu-rays with a fanciful bit of advertising blurb.

Agreed, Superbit all over again.

It would still be interesting though to see how they look, obviously upscaled, on one of the new 4k TVs.

Doug.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'll grab one, but I don't see how it would make some difference. I've been trying to throw the highest bitrate content at my projector, but it's still a mix.

This does seem like superbit all over. There might be some advantages; I am not a fan of the earlier Glory release, but I don't know how this will really help say, Ghost Busters which just came from a 4k master.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Eastmancolor said:
Nope, standard 1080p, only with a slightly higher bit rate. As mentioned previously this is Superbit all over again.

There isn't enough room on current Blu-ray discs to hold an entire feature in 4k.
Exactly. It's just Sony's way of (a) Pretending that they're releasing "4K content" to support their new 4K hardware; and (b) cashing in on 4K hype by re-releasing the same material on blu-ray to provide a marginal, most likely imperceptible, improvement in image quality.

You'd probably notice more of an improvement in image quality just by switching from regular to Monster brand HDMI cables. Just kidding :)

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Eastmancolor said:

has that been confirmed , just curious

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
I'm guessing these will not have special features. If they do, I might get The Other Guys or double-dip on Battle: Los Angeles.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Just as Blu Ray is becoming more understood and accepted by Joe Walmart, along comes more pitch and spit to further confuse him. Is it any wonder why people are streaming?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Eastmancolor said:

I don't even think they have a higher bitrate, my opinion is they are identical to the last releases, higher bitrate would not do a thing either, blu ray is different to DVD, a quality master and a reasonable bitrate is all you need, look at the first release of Gladiator, high bitrate, poor release, the master is what counts and increasing bitrate adds nothing but is good for advertising blurbs, not that i think these have a higher bitrate. ( from the original )

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Persianimmortal said:
Exactly. It's just Sony's way of (a) Pretending that they're releasing "4K content" to support their new 4K hardware; and (b) cashing in on 4K hype by re-releasing the same material on blu-ray to provide a marginal, most likely imperceptible, improvement in image quality.

You'd probably notice more of an improvement in image quality just by switching from regular to Monster brand HDMI cables. Just kidding :)
I think the greater improvement in the first place is to not use a Sony to view your content...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Do my eyes deceive me, or are a couple of those discs priced at $34.99? Pass.

I don't have Glory, so I ordered it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Peter Neski said:
gee whiz you need a 4k master for a piece of crap like The Other Guys ?
I liked it and thought it was really funny.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
schan1269 said:
I think the greater improvement in the first place is to not use a Sony to view your content...
I have no problem with my Sony bluray player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks