Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Lord of the Flies (Blu-ray)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,830 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 01:29 PM

lordfront.png

lordback.png

LORD OF THE FLIES – Blu-ray & DVD Editions

In the hands of the renowned experimental theater director Peter Brook, William Golding’s legendary novel on the primitivism lurking beneath civilization becomes a film as raw and ragged as the lost boys at its center. Taking an innovative documentary-like approach, Brook shot Lord of the Flies with an off-the-cuff naturalism, seeming to record a spontaneous eruption of its characters’ ids. The result is a rattling masterpiece, as provocative as its source material.

1963 • 90 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.37:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES 

• New, restored 4K digital film transfer, supervised by cameraman and editor Gerald Feil, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

• Audio commentary featuring director Peter Brook, producer Lewis Allen, director of photography Tom Hollyman, and Feil

• Audio recordings of William Golding reading from his novel Lord of the Flies, accompanied by the corresponding scenes from the film

• Deleted scene, with optional commentary and reading by Golding

• Interview with Brook from 2008

• Collection of behind-the-scenes material, featuring home movies, screen tests, outtakes, and stills

• New interview with Feil

• Excerpt from Feil’s 1972 documentary The Empty Space, showcasing Brook’s theater methods

• Something Queer in the Warehouse, a piece composed of never-before-seen footage shot by the boy actors during production, with new voice-over by Tom Gaman, who played Simon

• Trailer

• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Geoffrey Macnab and an excerpt from Brook’s book The Shifting Point

TITLE: Lord of the Flies (BLU-RAY EDITION)                                     

CAT. NO: CC2290BD

UPC: 7-15515-10821-8

ISBN: 978-1-60465-753-1

SRP: $39.95                                                      

PREBOOK: 6/18/13

STREET: 7/16/13

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 55 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 03:26 PM

I recall actually speaking to a spokesperson by phone at Criterion , in the days when you acould actually do such a thing, regarding the aspect ratio of the then-forthcoming laser disc release. I was told Criterion juggled releasing this at 1.33 vs. 1.66. Apparently this was filmed at 1.33 and for the eventual laser release (and this Blu-ray), the decision was made not to crop it. But Criterion (if I am not mistaken) provides their Blu-rays with snsmorphic transfers even for 1.33:1, maximizing the PQ. Thanks for this release!

Edited by Dick, April 16 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#3 of 55 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,019 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 15 2013 - 04:09 PM

Well, it certainly wasn't SHOWN in Academy ratio anywhere that I know of.  I saw it many times on its initial release - always 1.85 here in the US.  Probably shown in 1.66 maybe in the UK?  

#4 of 55 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,133 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted April 15 2013 - 05:35 PM

There's also a non CC DVD of this in 1.66
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#5 of 55 theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 283 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted April 15 2013 - 06:49 PM

Interesting that the pics on the press release should look so well-framed and composed in a non-1.33 ratio...... Just saying.

#6 of 55 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 07:09 PM

There's no such thing as "anamorphic transfer for Blu-ray".  The native aspect ratio for HD/Blu-ray is 1.78:1 with square pixels.

Vincent

I recall actually speaking to a spokesperson by phone at Criterion , in the days when you acould actually do such a thing, regarding the aspect ratio of the then-forthcoming laser disc release. I was told Criterion juggled releasing this at 1.33 vs. 1.66. Apparently this was filmed at 1.33 and for the eventual laser release (and this Blu-ray), the decision was made not to crop it. But Criterion (if I am not mistaken) provides their Blu-rays with snsmorphic transfers even for 1.33:1, maximizing the PQ. Thanks for this release!

Edited by Vincent_P, April 15 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#7 of 55 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 07:10 PM

Well, it certainly wasn't SHOWN in Academy ratio anywhere that I know of.  I saw it many times on its initial release - always 1.85 here in the US.  Probably shown in 1.66 maybe in the UK?  

"• New, restored 4K digital film transfer, supervised by cameraman and editor Gerald Feil..."

I'll take the cameraman/editor's word on what the proper aspect ratio is.

Vincent

Edited by Vincent_P, April 15 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#8 of 55 Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 466 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 16 2013 - 06:25 AM

Looking forward to this release. I've seen it broadcast on TV in (I think) 1.78:1, and don't recall any obvious vertical cropping.

Having said that, if Gerald Feil approves the transfer at 1.33:1, that's good enough for me. (Unless he's been taking lessons from Storaro).

Off topic, but interesting to see that one of Feil's other few films he DP'd was Friday the 13th Part III. A slightly different take on the "the primitivism lurking beneath civilization"!

Edited by Will*B, April 16 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#9 of 55 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 16 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'm in for this one. I ight have to track down the remake as well, I recall it being pretty good to.

• Moe Dickstein likes this
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#10 of 55 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,019 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 16 2013 - 08:35 AM

"• New, restored 4K digital film transfer, supervised by cameraman and editor Gerald Feil..."

I'll take the cameraman/editor's word on what the proper aspect ratio is.

Vincent

As someone already mentioned - two words - Vitttorio Storaro.  While it's entirely possible for the cameraman and director to have shot the film in Academy knowing it would not be shown that way in any cinema in the United States (and only a handful in England and elsewhere), I'd find it compellingly odd.

#11 of 55 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 16 2013 - 08:45 AM

Seeing as the film, as stated in the press release was shot with a natural documentary-like approach by an experimental theater director, I'm not surprised that the 1:37 was chosen. there's lots of low budget films from the 60's that were shot 1:37, and most documentaries were too.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#12 of 55 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 08:49 AM

Bringing up Storaro is like comparing apples and oranges. This film was shot in 1.37:1 (whether it was projected that way is anyone's guess). Storaro's Univisium conversions are cropped from 2.40. There's a difference between a loss and a possible gain.

#13 of 55 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,507 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 16 2013 - 09:02 AM

Not that this will settle any discussion but the Aug 26, 1963 Boxoffice Magazine lists the aspect ratio as 1.85:1 for the US release.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 55 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,229 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 01:27 AM

As someone already mentioned - two words - Vitttorio Storaro.  While it's entirely possible for the cameraman and director to have shot the film in Academy knowing it would not be shown that way in any cinema in the United States (and only a handful in England and elsewhere), I'd find it compellingly odd.

I've said this elsewhere, but we're talking about two different things.

VS says "Apocalpse Now was shot for 2.40:1, but I'm cropping it to 2.00:1 because I don't think it loses too much, and will look better on 16:9 TVs".

That's quite different to a cameraman saying a film was shot in 1.37:1 so it should get a home video release in 1.37:1.

VS admits he's changing things - he's not trying to pretend Apocalypse Now was always intended for 2.00:1.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#15 of 55 Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 466 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 17 2013 - 03:55 AM

I should clarify that I wasn't making a direct comparison to the 'Storaro-scope' debacle. Rather, I was suggesting that a DP's approval does not necessarily mean the transfer is presented as it was in cinemas.

The most likely conclusion seems to be that Lord of the Flies was shot full-aperture, then matted to 1.66:1 or 1.85:1 for cinemas. If Feil has signed-off on a 1.37:1 transfer, I'll be perfectly happy, knowing that we're not losing any picture information.

#16 of 55 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,861 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 20 2013 - 02:44 PM

If anyone's interested, it's currently playing on TCM in 1.37:1. Curiously, some scenes appear to be composed favouring the lower half of the screen, and zooming to 1.78:1 appears to do no damage initially, but overall, 1.37:1 appears to be the best choice, as many scenes put action into the extreme corners of the frame. I believe Criterion have made the right call here.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#17 of 55 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 20 2013 - 02:50 PM

It is also playing on Hulu Plus.

#18 of 55 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,019 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 20 2013 - 06:12 PM

If anyone's interested, it's currently playing on TCM in 1.37:1. Curiously, some scenes appear to be composed favouring the lower half of the screen, and zooming to 1.78:1 appears to do no damage initially, but overall, 1.37:1 appears to be the best choice, as many scenes put action into the extreme corners of the frame. I believe Criterion have made the right call here.

All these posts are well and good except for one small thing: This film was NEVER EVER shown in Academy anywhere.  So, sorry, I don't care who is signing off on what, the film should be 1.66 - these weren't amateurs making a film - they knew how it would be projected.

#19 of 55 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,167 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 09:55 PM

The UK standard by the time of principal photography was 1.75:1.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

From Daily Variety, four days before the start of principal photography. This listing would remain

for over two months until the film wrapped production in late November 1954.

f75e4e81-ad94-4afd-8b61-5ad8ca634c18_zps

#20 of 55 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts

Posted April 20 2013 - 10:43 PM

All these posts are well and good except for one small thing: This film was NEVER EVER shown in Academy anywhere.  So, sorry, I don't care who is signing off on what, the film should be 1.66 - these weren't amateurs making a film - they knew how it would be projected.

You could say that about EVERY independent film ever made, but guess what?  They (the independent filmmakers) didn't always have access to the same equipment with the same ground-glass markings as the studio productions.  These guys were often "winging it", doing the best they could with the resources at hand, regardless of "standards".

Vincent

Edited by Vincent_P, April 20 2013 - 10:44 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users