Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
My office is on Boylston street 2 blocks east of the finish line. As usual I took the day off to avoid the crowds but called one of my friends to see what he knew. They heard 'thunder' but otherwise didn't know what was going on until they started getting phone calls. The people who are in the office are staying off the streets to avoid adding to the chaos.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I just heard that there was another explosion near another building (three incidents total). The third occurred at JFK about thirty minutes ago. They don't know if all of the incidents are related.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Very sad.

Like everyone, very interested to find out whom is responsible.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
As Ron said, very sad.

It's horrible that people could do this to others, probably just sitting back, watching the news, enjoying the death and injuries they've caused.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Still trying to figure out how many people died. I thought I heard only
two while many others remain in critical condition.

This could have been much, much worse (not trying to take anything
away from this tragedy, of course).

Yeah, it's horrible that those responsible are sitting back admiring their efforts.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
More scary than sad to me. They have shut down the airport and turned off the cell towers.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Knowing more than a few marathon runners and having many of my extended family in Boston, my heart goes out to the athletes who competed today and the city of Boston.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hate to even acknowledge this type of thing because it's exactly what the animal that did it wanted and promotes other losers to do similar sick things to get attention but my thoughts are certainly with the people there.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Unfortunately abc aired a video of a man being taken away in a wheel chair of a man who lost both legs below the knees.The picture is actually more graphic and is on one of the Boston web sites.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
London Marathon is Sunday.Reports that they are already stepping up their security.37,500 people are to be there.Copycats are going to be a problem.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
I just heard that there was another explosion near another building (three incidents total). The third occurred at JFK about thirty minutes ago. They don't know if all of the incidents are related.
The third explosion was a controlled one by the bomb squad. There was a suspicious package so they blew it up. The JFK incident is now being reported as an unrelated fire issue and not part of this.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My condolences to everyone in the area, and to those who have friends, loved ones, who have been affected. I've only been to the city once for a four-day conference, but I knew exactly where the event happened because the hotel I stayed at was nearby. Horrible day. And as Sam said, not to take anything away from the tragedy but it could have been much worse given the number of people that run and watch this marathon. As Ron mentioned I wonder at who the responsible people will end up being. Before we all jump to the conclusion that this is a foreign group, remember they thought the same thing for the OKC tragedy.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jim_C said:
The third explosion was a controlled one by the bomb squad. There was a suspicious package so they blew it up. The JFK incident is now being reported as an unrelated fire issue and not part of this.
Jim,Thanks. That's good to hear.As one whom has been in those crowds at the finish line several times, I can say that it is incredibly congested during the several hours before and after the race. One year I was in the middle of the crowd and as it moved across the street en masse, the sheer throng of people began to crush me and others making it very difficult to breathe. It's quite frightening if you've never experienced that. I can't imagine what occurred as those two explosions went off today.I'm also thankful that (as Ron and Carlo noted above) the tragedy wasn't greater. The Red Sox game had finished by this time, but I shudder to think that this could have occurred inside of Fenway Park.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
AT&T is reporting that cell towers were not shut down but over loaded which is often the case when something like this occurs.

Users who are viewing this thread