Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Shout Factory Press Release: The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis: The Complete Series

Shout! Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 of 61 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,276 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 11:06 AM

81g1CHFIEDL._SL1500_.jpg

BRING HOME ONE OF THE BEST-LOVED SITCOMS

FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF TELEVISION!

THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS

THE COMPLETE SERIES

Starring Dwayne Hickman, Bob Denver, Frank Faylen, Florida Friebus,

Tuesday Weld, Warren Beatty, and Sheila James

OWN THIS COLLECTIBLE 20-DVD BOX SET FEATURING ALL 147 EPISODES, ORIGINAL RARE PILOT FOOTAGE AND SPECIAL BONUS CONTENT  

DEBUTS FOR THE FIRST TIME ON HOME ENTERTAINMENT SHELVES EVERYWHERE JULY 2, 2013 FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis ignited one of the many loves of American television: stories about teenagers.  Dobie Gillis was a typically indecisive young man who continually set out on hopeless quests for popularity, money, and the attention of beautiful girls, all while trying to make his parents happy. Created and written by humorist Max Shulman and adapted from Shulman’s celebrated collection of short stories, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis premiered on CBS in 1959 and was a counter-culture hit throughout all four years of its network run. Starring Dwayne Hickman, Bob Denver, Frank Faylen, Florida Friebus, Tuesday Weld, Warren Beatty and Sheila James, this timeless show triggered a sea change in sitcoms and dramas, which would focus on the hopes, dreams and angst of teenagers for decades to come.

On July 2, 2013, Shout! Factory, in collaboration with The Max Shulman Trust, will bring the long-awaited THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS: THE COMPLETE SERIES in a collectible 20-DVD box set to home entertainment shelves for the first time. This highly anticipated complete series DVD box set features all 147 episodes from 1959-1963, plus special bonus features including original rare pilot footage, bonus episodes from Love That Bob! (The Bob Cummings Show) and The Stu Erwin Show and more! Whether reliving the rosy memory from the 1950s or discovering this classic sitcom for the first time, loyal fans, collectors and viewers will be enamored by Dobie Gillis all over again as THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS: THE COMPLETE SERIES is priced to own at $139.99 SRP. 

Created by Max Shulman, THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS starred Dwayne Hickman as Dobie, a middle-class 17-year-old whose main goal in life was to find the girl of his dreams, Bob Denver (Gilligan’s Island) co-stars as Dobie’s beatnik friend Maynard G. Krebs, whose passion was to avoid work at any cost popularized the idea of the proto-hippie, and Frank Faylen and Florida Friebus, as Dobie’s parents, who were never too far away to worry about Dobie’s future.  

Throughout its 147 episodes, the series ran the gamut from the hilarious (Dobie and Maynard sharing a tuxedo in order to attend a society party together), to the ridiculous (Maynard drinking a student chemist’s formula and turning into a monster) to the touching (Dobie convincing a poor but brilliant student to stay in school).

Guest stars include Rose Marie, Bill Bixby, Yvonne Craig, Richard Deacon, Norman Fell, Ronny Howard, Sherry Jackson, Sally Kellerman, Michael J. Pollard, Michele Lee, Steve Franken, Jo Anne Worley, among other notables. 

THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS: THE COMPLETE SERIES 20-DVD BOX SET

BONUS CONTENT:

·         Original rare pilot footage

·         Bonus Episodes from “Love That Bob!” and “The Stu Erwin Show”

And More!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 61 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 17 2013 - 07:32 PM

I've already preordered this show.Doesn't seem like there's much in the way of special features. I was hoping for the two revivals . Still it's great that this is coming out ,and I can't wait to watch it.

#3 of 61 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,101 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted April 22 2013 - 06:43 PM

I've already preordered this show.Doesn't seem like there's much in the way of special features. I was hoping for the two revivals . Still it's great that this is coming out ,and I can't wait to watch it.

I thought about you when I heard this was coming!

Rich Gallagher

#4 of 61 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 23 2013 - 11:29 PM

I thought about you when I heard this was coming!

Hey Rich,

We should meet for lunch!

Lou A.

#5 of 61 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,101 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted April 24 2013 - 04:47 PM

Hey Rich,

We should meet for lunch!

Lou A.

Are you working in Manhattan? I don't get into the city as often as I used to, but we can work something out.

Rich Gallagher

#6 of 61 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 24 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hi Rich,

No I'm retired , but I can get into Mahattan to meet you.

Lou

#7 of 61 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,101 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted April 24 2013 - 06:48 PM

Lou,

I sent you a private message.

Rich

Rich Gallagher

#8 of 61 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,263 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 07:18 PM

I'm waiting until the Holidays before I purchase this set and The Lone Ranger. With a little bit of luck maybe one (or possibly both) will become "doorbusters" on the National Day of Insanity (November 29 this year). :biggrin:

• Gary OS likes this

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#9 of 61 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,571 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 08:14 PM

You read my mind, Regulus.  I'm doing the exact same thing - waiting to see if either, or both, get heavily discounted on Black Friday.  I'd like both sets, but not at the prices they are charging right now.  Both need to drop substantially before I'll bite.

Gary "just don't have the funds to pay the current prices for either set" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#10 of 61 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hell, I'm still waiting for Father Dowling Season 3 to go down from their outrageous pricing before buying it, so i know what you guys mean.

#11 of 61 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,176 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 26 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'm waiting to make sure they aren't edited episodes and are decent quality before I take the plunge. I remember watching it on CBN back in the day and I'm sure those were edited but if I'm paying that much money, I want the whole enchilada!!!  ;)

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#12 of 61 OFFLINE   Gary16

Gary16

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 03:53 AM

When I preordered it on April 6 it was $97.99.

#13 of 61 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 06:23 AM

I'm waiting to make sure they aren't edited episodes and are decent quality before I take the plunge. I remember watching it on CBN back in the day and I'm sure those were edited but if I'm paying that much money, I want the whole enchilada!!!  ;)

Well, on the plus side, we know that there are beautiful quality, uncut masters on the show. On the minus side, it is Shout Factory and they have screwed up many times in the past. I would say that a wait and see attitude is quite prudent.

#14 of 61 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 11:38 AM

i have vague memories of the show.  but i do recall liking it.

but i also recall it being somewhat different, for the times.

i suspect that i would enjoy it again.

i seem to recall a real cute girl in at, some of the times ?

in fact, i seem to recall me tuning in each week, just to see if she was in it ?

#15 of 61 OFFLINE   Gary16

Gary16

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 11:42 AM

Well that had to be Tuesday Weld. And of course this is the series that Warren Beatty always denied having done once he became a major star ("I don't do television"). Actually I thought he was quite funny in that first season.
  • Gary OS likes this

#16 of 61 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 11:51 AM

a cute youtube clip

isnt that thin man with the glasses the dad in dennis the menace ?  i recall him from somewhere else ?

#17 of 61 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 11:52 AM

yea, tuesday weld.  boy to a 10-year old boy, she was a real eye-popper !!

#18 of 61 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted May 01 2013 - 12:09 PM

a cute youtube clip

isnt that thin man with the glasses the dad in dennis the menace ?  i recall him from somewhere else ?  

Yes.  Dennis The Menace's dad, plus Ron Ely as Dobie's "brother"?

Edited by John Hermes, May 01 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#19 of 61 OFFLINE   Statskeeper

Statskeeper

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 05:25 PM

"Bring Me the Head of Dobie Gillis" was released on VHS. It pops up from time to time on Ebay (where I bought and resold my copy, after making a DVD copy). As a reunion movie it's not great, but it's always good to see Dobie and Maynard back together again. I'm looking forward to this release as I've been watching it almost every morning on Me-TV.

#20 of 61 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted May 01 2013 - 06:48 PM

"Bring Me the Head of Dobie Gillis" was released on VHS. It pops up from time to time on Ebay (where I bought and resold my copy, after making a DVD copy). As a reunion movie it's not great, but it's always good to see Dobie and Maynard back together again. I'm looking forward to this release as I've been watching it almost every morning on Me-TV.

But it looks like Bring Me The Head Of Dobie Gillis won't be part of this set. The 1977 revival pilot won't be there either . Still I can't wait to get this! I preordered a while back at $98.00.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users