What's new

In wall speaker help (1 Viewer)

Contra Proferentem

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
The house I bought came with 5 speakers in the ceiling for the home theater room. This is obviously less than ideal for the front L/R and the Center channel. I have heard for the rears it is O.K.

I was wondering if I could install an in wall centre channel above the tv in the drywall, and then install in wall front L/R's into the cabinet doors on either side if the tv? I could router out the holes for the in walls into the cabinet face and secure the cabinet door. Would I need to build a box around the back of the speaker?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My bigest factor is keeping the entertainment unit because they built it in, and I don't want to take the time or spend the money to rip it out ( I have replaced it with white doors so at least it is not red and black!). Also, it is a small room so I want to keep speakers off the floor (which is the main walkthrough in the basement).

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/lWz99un

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I imagine you could do that but you will have to angle it towards your listening position which may sound odd. I imagine you would enjoy it more if the center were below the TV. Another consideration would the weight of the center. Don't want something too heavy which may cause potential damage to the TV if it were to fall.

One thing to remember about built-in cabinet speakers is you will be limited on size options should you ever wish to replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks