Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Oliver (1968)

Sony Pictures Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#201 of 213 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 27 2013 - 12:06 AM

Very nice!  Thanks for the link. :)

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#202 of 213 rybev

rybev

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 01:45 AM

You're welcome

#203 of 213 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,117 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 27 2013 - 12:48 PM

Uh oh!  Looking at those shots I may not be able to wait for the TT release.  I may have to get myself the German disc.

#204 of 213 Techman707

Techman707

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 01:32 PM

Aren't most Twilight Time titles $29.95 at Screen Archives Entertainment?

They have two price points for Twilight Time movies.  They're $29.95 and for most of the ones that I want, $34.95.  I can't understand ANY of their reasoning for the price differences. :blink:

I recently ordered "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" $29.95, "Love is a Many Splendored Thing", $29.95, "Pal Joey", $34.95, and "Picnic", $34.95.  The total order shipped was $137.00.  They even charge extra shipping for EACH DISC in the SAME MOVIE!  I wish Sony/Columbia would release their own pictures, priced the same as ALL THE OTHER COMPANIES.  It's especially annoying when I think about the fact that I already have ALL THESE FILMS on DVD already....and in many cases film too. :angry:

Endlessly replacing a few hundred films can get pretty expensive after a while.  They should offer a special "trade up program" for people they have screwed more than twice on the same film. :wacko:

#205 of 213 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 27 2013 - 02:24 PM

Seems to be, in your instance, that the Fox titles retail for $29.95 and the Sony/Columbia ones are $34.95.  Perhaps the studios advise TT on the various price-points.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#206 of 213 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,051 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 27 2013 - 03:28 PM

They haven't charged 34.95 for anything in quite a while.

#207 of 213 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,051 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 27 2013 - 03:30 PM

Oh.  I see.  David is including shipping costs into the total cost for each title ($34.30).

Yes, wonder why?  It's not really kosher - the list price is 29.98 save for a handful of older titles.  I wonder if he adds postage when talking about the list price or any price from other companies?  

#208 of 213 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,499 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 04:07 PM

Yes, wonder why?  It's not really kosher - the list price is 29.98 save for a handful of older titles.  I wonder if he adds postage when talking about the list price or any price from other companies?  

I added shipping because Twilight Time and Screen Archives have an exclusive forced shipping.    All the other online retailers have 'free' shipping options - based on dollar amount, or being some type of member.

As I stated in my original post, the fact that Twilight time gets $29.95, and Screen Archives get $4.35 doesn't matter to the consumer.  The cheapest they can buy it for is still $34.30.   Nobody can purchase a Twilight Time item for that 'list' price.

So yes, I consider that a kosher argument.

#209 of 213 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 27 2013 - 04:29 PM

The shipping cost isn't really a profit for anybody.   Good quality shipping materials don't materialize out of thin air and it's a more than reasonable fee in my opinion.

• ROclockCK likes this

#210 of 213 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,117 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 27 2013 - 05:25 PM

And I certainly didn't get free shipping from Amazon.de (Germany), which was the original comparison.

Edited by JohnMor, July 27 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#211 of 213 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted July 27 2013 - 05:50 PM

The shipping cost isn't really a profit for anybody.   Good quality shipping materials don't materialize out of thin air and it's a more than reasonable fee in my opinion.

Absolutely agree. Folks need to keep the relative scale of operations in perspective...just as Twilight Time isn't one of the majors moving hundreds of thousands of units, neither is SAE an Amazonia-reach vendor with huge carrier discounts based on volume.

For a small, specialty company, SAE has never failed to impress me with their pro handling of my CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. Never a mistake, never a loss, and never any damage in transit*. And FTR, I haven't seen one postage meter lower than what I paid...usually a couple of bucks more. So I think SAE does a fine job. Total peace of mind, at least for this collector...

* Since my shipments have to survive a border crossing, I typically combine at least 3 items to ensure they get boxed.

• Robin9 likes this

#212 of 213 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,051 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 27 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thank you for stating the painfully obvious.  No one ever takes into account the envelopes or boxes things are shipped in, nor the manpower that has to do the shipping - those people aren't doing it for their health, you know.  When we ship a CD we charge 3.75 shipping for up to two CDs and anyone who thinks we're making a PENNY profit on that is a lunatic, a simpleton, or a fool, not necessarily in that order.  No matter that we buy tens of thousands of shipping boxes a year - there is NO price break EVER on the cost of them.  Mr. Weicker has such a very clear bias against Twilight Time and it gets stronger in each post.

#213 of 213 warnerbro

warnerbro

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted July 29 2013 - 08:11 AM

Here's the link to buy the German bluray.  It's only 22 bucks including shipping. It's region free and superb.

http://www.amazon.de...keywords=oliver!+bluray

Edited by warnerbro, July 29 2013 - 08:23 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures, Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users