What's new

Help Getting Sounds from All Speakers (1 Viewer)

sean1981

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
Got a Pioneer VSX-1022-K receiver (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1022-K_OperatingInstructions062612.pdf) on deep discount, and I'm having trouble getting sound out of all of my speakers on any input. Inputs all connected via HDMI: Cable Box (Motorola RNG-200); Apple TV (3d gen); and PS3/Bluray. My speakers aren't that great, but I have: JBL Control Ones on the front; Polk CS10 center; and Polk PSW10 sub. Samsung HDTV connected through HDMI. I can't seem to pick the right setting to get sound out of all speakers. I tried running the MCCAC, but I've had no luck.

I'm hardly an audiophile, but I'm somewhat tech savvy. Any help would be much appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. Are they all hooked up with speaker wire?
2. Are your sources(that would be your cable/ATV/PS3) set up for 5.1?
3. Is the content you are watching via these sources 5.1 or 2.0?
4. What sound modes have you tried?
5. Have you done any set-up in the Pioneer to actually tell it there are 5 speakers and not 2?
6. Does MCACC create noise from all the speakers?

sean1981

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
schan1269 said:
1. Are they all hooked up with speaker wire?
2. Are your sources(that would be your cable/ATV/PS3) set up for 5.1?
3. Is the content you are watching via these sources 5.1 or 2.0?
4. What sound modes have you tried?
5. Have you done any set-up in the Pioneer to actually tell it there are 5 speakers and not 2?
6. Does MCACC create noise from all the speakers?
1. No, the sub is hooked up with subwoofer cable to the receiver. Otherwise, yes.
2. Not sure what you mean by this, but the settings in the ATV and PS3 both permit 5.1
3. I've tested each source with a movie that I know has 5.1 (streamed something on the ATV, bluray on the PS3 and something from the DVR)
4. Watching ATV:
Using the auto/direct button: auto surround (but I only get stereo -- no center and no sub); direct (same) and pure direct (same)
Using the alc/standard button: dolby PL, PLII, and NE06cinema (center only), NE06music (stereo, no sub), stereo and stereo alc (stereo, no sub)
Watching BluRay on PS3:
Using auto/direct is same
Using alc/standard button: PLII is fronts and center but no sub
Watching DVR:
Using auto/direct: (front and center, no sub)
Using alc/standard(stereo no sub)
I had been getting sound of the sub on one of the settings earlier today, but I couldn't replicate it just now.
5. I have been through the set up for speakers (set to surround back), which was selected after I ran the auto MCACC
6. Yes

If there's anything more specific I can tell you, or supply pictures or video, I'd be happy to. Thanks for your help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have your surround speakers connected to the wrong terminals. "Surround Back" is 6/7, which don't do anything without 4/5.

sean1981

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
schan1269 said:
You have your surround speakers connected to the wrong terminals. "Surround Back" is 6/7, which don't do anything without 4/5.
I don't have any surround speakers. Just fronts, center and sub. All are recognized by the MCACC

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Then I'm confused. Why are you mentioning "surround back" at all with No. 5?How are your speakers connected to the 1022?If they aren't connected main right/left and center, that would completely explain the problem. 3 speakers(not counting sub yet) does not even come close to "surround"...at all.

sean1981

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
schan1269 said:
Then I'm confused. Why are you mentioning "surround back" at all with No. 5?How are your speakers connected to the 1022?If they aren't connected main right/left and center, that would completely explain the problem. 3 speakers(not counting sub yet) does not even come close to "surround"...at all.
The fronts are connected to the front via speaker cable and the center is connected to the center via speaker cable. Would it be helpful if I took a picture?

When I run the speaker setup through the receiver's MCACC, it recognized the fronts, the center, no 4 or 5 and a sub. In the speaker setup menu, it auto selected "surround rear" as the speaker setup. The only other option I can toggle based upon its findings is: "high front."

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I suggest you forget the MCACC. If it is "too stupid" to realize you don't have "front high" or "surround" hooked up...forget it.

The only "sound modes" you should have access to are DPL based. Not sure what "music modes"(concert hall/all-channel stereo/club mix) Pioneer offers, but those are all based on DPL.

So, the only thing you should be able to choose are...

Dolby Digital
Straight(or through...whatever Pioneer calls it)
DTS
DPL(to create center speaker from 2.0)
Stereo(which could include a Pure Mode)
Dolby True HD
DTS HD-MA(or whatever version of lossless DTS there is)

That is it. Provided in "Set Up" you show main, center and subwoofer. If MCACC isn't coming back with that, do it manually.

If you see DTS NEO, DPL IIx, DPL IIz...your AVR is not setup correctly.

sean1981

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
schan1269 said:
I suggest you forget the MCACC. If it is "too stupid" to realize you don't have "front high" or "surround" hooked up...forget it.

The only "sound modes" you should have access to are DPL based. Not sure what "music modes"(concert hall/all-channel stereo/club mix) Pioneer offers, but those are all based on DPL.

So, the only thing you should be able to choose are...

Dolby Digital
Straight(or through...whatever Pioneer calls it)
DTS
DPL(to create center speaker from 2.0)
Stereo(which could include a Pure Mode)
Dolby True HD
DTS HD-MA(or whatever version of lossless DTS there is)

That is it. Provided in "Set Up" you show main, center and subwoofer. If MCACC isn't coming back with that, do it manually.

If you see DTS NEO, DPL IIx, DPL IIz...your AVR is not setup correctly.
Here are the listening modes:
Two channel sources:
Stereo ALC
Dolby PL IIx Movie
Dolby PL II Movie
Dolby PLIIx Music
Dolby PLII Music
Dolby PLIIx Game
Dolby PLII Game
Dolby PLIIz Height
NEO:6 Cinema
NEO:6 Music
Dolby Pro Logic
Straight Decode
Stereo

Multichannel Sources:
Stereo ALC
Dolby PLIIx Movie
Dolby PLIIc Music
Dolby Digital EX
DTS-ES
DTS NEO:6
Dolby PLIIz Height
Straight Decode
Stereo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks