Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Oblivion - quick review (no major spoilers)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 of 57 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,599 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 21 2013 - 07:34 AM

Fairly disappointing actually.   Not bad, not good.. just kind of "eh".

Agreed.  I was just bored by Oblivion and I know that's not what the production was going for.  There are a lot of questions the movie brings up I don't have good answers for which it clearly didn't think of... 

Spoiler

#22 of 57 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,428 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 21 2013 - 09:33 AM

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+. (mainly for production values)

Yeah, I thought the production design was AMAZING, the score was really good (and I don't even like electronic-y music) and the rest of the movie was OK. Overall, I think it's worth checking out but it's nothing spectacular either. I didn't see it in IMAX but I have to imagine that it's pretty impressive.

#23 of 57 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted April 21 2013 - 03:39 PM

I hate to say this , but some of the scenes felt like Tron Legacy, but in the desert.  :D

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#24 of 57 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 21 2013 - 04:15 PM

Travis-

Your #3 was a big problem for me.  The other two not so much; but that third one I thought was bad.  Actually

Spoiler

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#25 of 57 Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,304 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted April 22 2013 - 04:55 AM

Travis-

Your #3 was a big problem for me.  The other two not so much; but that third one I thought was bad.  Actually

Spoiler

Spoiler

I loved the movie and really enjoyed the sense of mystery and wonder that the film evoked. 

• Tino likes this
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#26 of 57 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 04:09 PM

POPULAR

I wasn't particularly enthused about this one but liked it - liked it a lot.  Didn't find it to be as predictable as others - thought it nodded to earlier films but didn't rip them off, and I thought it unspooled at a good pace.  Not too fast, not too slow - just quick enough to give us an interesting story and let us follow its path.

Yes, Cruise does "play Cruise", but he's still fine in the part, and he grounds the film.

Much more involving than I expected, and it had a lot more heart than the average sci-fi/action flick - I got a bit choked up at the end and found it to be emotional.

Probably the most enjoyable 2013 film I've seen so far...

• Tim Glover, Tino and Brett_M like this
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#27 of 57 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,854 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 07:29 AM

Saw it last night....  A few things...

Spoiler

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#28 of 57 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 23 2013 - 08:47 AM

Since it's been in commercials I'm not spoilering this.. the thing with the moon also bothered me; fractured into pieces like that, you would think that it would not maintain a similar orbit, and the odds of an earth impact with the moon (or large pieces of it) would be very high.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#29 of 57 Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted April 24 2013 - 06:47 AM

I loved it. Beginning to end and didn't mind the derivative nature of it at all. Great visuals score and action scenes. One of Tom's best and a great throwback to the classic 70's sci-fi films.

And yes, see it in IMAX.

9 out of 10

+1

#30 of 57 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted April 24 2013 - 01:28 PM

** out of 4.  It was better than THE LORDS OF SALEM but that's not saying too much.  :)

I thought the performances were good and the visuals in the film were terrific.  I really don't care for CGI because it just makes everything look too fake but I thought it was fantastic here.  The look of the broken down Earth was fantastic and I thought the later scenes in space were great. 

With that said, this story was downright stupid, boring and drawn out.  It doesn't help that the direction was lacking because not once did I feel any drama in the story nor did I really care about what was going on.  I even didn't care about any of the characters.  It's really too bad that there wasn't anything connecting me to the story and the big twists throughout the film were rather easy to figure out. 

I've never seen a film in IMAX and I didn't start here.  After the movie was over I snuck into the IMAX screenings just to see what the hype was all about and I must say I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the extra cash.

#31 of 57 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,428 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 01:42 PM

It was better than THE LORDS OF SALEM but that's not saying too much.  :)

Can't argue with that.

#32 of 57 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,052 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 24 2013 - 03:03 PM

Michael

What didn't you like about the IMAX screening?

I ask because I for one have never regretted paying the extra $5 or so for an IMAX screening as it has always enhanced the film (when its good of course) immeasurably. Size, sound, clarity, 3D always better in IMAX.

But as always, your mileage may vary......
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#33 of 57 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 03:47 PM

I can't figure out which surprises me more: how many people liked "Olympus Has Fallen" or how many people DISliked "Oblivion"!

Colin Jacobson

#34 of 57 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,428 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 04:53 PM

Michael

I ask because I for one have never regretted paying the extra $5 or so for an IMAX screening as it has always enhanced the film (when its good of course) immeasurably. Size, sound, clarity, 3D always better in IMAX.

I can't speak for Michael but I have two different IMAX screens in my area. One is a HUGE screen and the other is just a larger than normal screen (or LieMAX as its been dubbed) so I can see how someone wouldn't be that impressed if they're seeing LieMAX.

#35 of 57 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,962 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 05:08 PM

Since it's been in commercials I'm not spoilering this.. the thing with the moon also bothered me; fractured into pieces like that, you would think that it would not maintain a similar orbit, and the odds of an earth impact with the moon (or large pieces of it) would be very high.

You haven't seen Thundarr the Barbarian?!?!? Reliable science in cartoon form.

Truthfully, yes. The moon controls the tides, and that could mess the planet up. To what extent...I don't know.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#36 of 57 Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,304 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 03:18 AM

One would think that if they didn't understand Physics.  The broken pieces would continue to maintain an orbit around Earth.  Perhaps the moon debris was pushed away from the earth during its breaking or, better yet, pushed in the direction of the orbit.  Given a rotational velocity, the pieces would continue to orbit our planet, rather than crash into it.  Some pieces would crash earthward but most would be drawn together due to gravity.  Eventually, the moon pieces would coalesce into a sphere again.  Although not mentioned, I'm sure part of the destruction that occured on Earth was due in part to deep imapcts of lunar material.

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#37 of 57 Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,304 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 03:21 AM

You haven't seen Thundarr the Barbarian?!?!? Reliable science in cartoon form.

Truthfully, yes. The moon controls the tides, and that could mess the planet up. To what extent...I don't know.

The sun also controls the tides of the earth and if we had no moon, there would still be a tidal pull on the planet.  Since the moon is closer, it causes higher tides.  There must have been something else to cause the earthquakes and tsunamis.

#38 of 57 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted April 25 2013 - 07:43 PM

Michael

To be fair, I just watched about three minutes of the movie but I guess I just thought it would be bigger like those real Imax screens that I went to as a kid.  Perhaps my expectations were just something unrealistic but I just didn't think the size or image was worth the extra money.  I watch way too many movies so I usually try to go cheap with the $5 (or $6 AMC shows) so paying an almost extra $10 just didn't seem worth it for me. 

I will probably try a complete movie at some point but I'm not sure which one I'll pick to do so.

#39 of 57 Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted April 25 2013 - 08:45 PM

I saw this last week while on vacation in Orlando. Enjoy the movie, nothing great but had a good time. What impressed me the most was seeing it in Dolby Atmos! Holy cow, was that an amazing experience. Makes me wish I could drive to Orlando for every movie because I bet it will be a long time before the theater here in Montgomery adds Atmos.

Edited by Chris Will, April 26 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#40 of 57 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 05:05 AM

I saw this last week while on vacation in Orlando. Enjoy the movie, nothing great but inhale a good time. What impressed me the most was seeing it in Dolby Atmos! Holy cow, was that an amazing experience. Makes me wish I could drive to Orlando for every movie because I bet it will be a long time before the theater here in Montgomery adds Atmos.

I saw "Good Day to Die Hard" Atmos and wasn't impressed - I thought it sounded good but not "game-changing good".

However, it was so effin' LOUD that it became more difficult to rate.  I had to put in earplugs to stand it!

Colin Jacobson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users