What's new

Celebrate The Legendary Career of Jane Withers and more with the Latest Releases from the Fox Cinema (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
fn5.jpg

THE LEGENDARY JANE WITHERS AND SOME
RARE FILM FAVORITES HIGHLIGHT
TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMNENT’S
MANUFACTURE-ON-DEMAND SLATE FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL

FOX CINEMA ARCHIVES

Seven Celebrated Films from the Prolific Child Actor are Available for the
First Time Ever April 12 in Honor of Her Birthday

Additional Collection of 25 Classic Films to Follow on April 16

LOS ANGELES (April 12, 2013) – In celebration of her 87th birthday, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment announced today the release of seven classic films to the manufacture-on-demand (MOD) series, Fox Cinema Archives, from the 1930s and 1940s featuring legendary child star Jane Withers. Watch the exciting adventures and mysteries unfold in these classic films from the comfort of your home available on DVD for the very first time April 12.

Born on April 12, 1926 in Atlanta Georgia, Jane Withers began acting and singing at only 3 years old. Her big break came at the age of 8 when she landed a role alongside Shirley Temple in Bright Eyes. An honoree of the Former Child Star “Lifetime Achievement” Award from the Young Artist Foundation, Jane Withers is known for being one of the most popular child film stars of the 1930s and early 1940s becoming one of the top 10 box-office stars of the time.

The seven films available include such notable classics as Little Miss Nobody, Rascals, Chicken-Wagon Family, High School, The Farmer Takes a Wife, Paddy O’Day, and Golden Hoofs.

Beginning April 16, Fox will follow with 25 classic films from the Fox Cinema Archives series featuring an impressive lineup of screen legends including Betty Grable, Debbie Reynolds, Tony Curtis, Buddy Hackett, Shirley Jones, Cesar Romero, Jack Benny, Eddie Albert, Zero Mostel, Maureen O’Hara, Ginger Rogers, Soupy Sales, Milton Berle and many many more.

Launched in 2012, Fox Cinema Archives has seen the release of more than 140 films from the Studio’s library. Movie lovers can purchase previously released and new films from the Fox Cinema Archives series at Amazon and other online retailers including www.foxconnect.com.

JANE WITHERS FILMS (available Friday, April 12)

Little Miss Nobody (1936)
A supposedly orphaned prankster trapped in a terrible orphanage discovers she is actually the daughter of a prominent lawyer. She helps her best friend get adopted before being reunited with her father who has been searching for her.

Rascals (1938)
An amnesiac socialite works as a fortune teller to raise enough money for an operation to regain her memory. With the help of a traveling troupe, she regains her memory only to discover she is engaged to a man she doesn’t love.

Chicken-Wagon Family (1939)
Based on a novel by Barry Benefield, Addie Fippany along with her family travel the country-side in a mule-drawn wagon trading trinkets to farmers for chickens. Addie and her father love the care-free life, but Mrs. Fippany and Addie’s sister want to settle down in New York City. Once the family reaches New York, Addie ends up in a whole bunch of mischief.

High School (1940)
A rambunctious Texas ranch teenage girl is sent to a fancy school in San Antonio where she learns to behave in proper fashion and get along with others after making a series of mistakes.

The Farmer Takes a Wife (1935)
A farmer works on a canal boat in an effort to save money to buy a farm. He meets his wife on the canal who is a cook on the boat. Conflict arises when she can’t imagine leaving the carefree life on the canal for a banal life on a farm.

Paddy O’Day (1935)
Paddy, a young girl, travels to the United States from Ireland to meet her mother who is already living in the country. Shortly after arriving in New York, she learns her mother has recently died. Paddy takes refuge to avoid being deported and survives by working as an entertainer.

Golden Hoofs (1941)
A horse trainer finds romance with the millionaire man who bought her grandfather's farm after he was forced to sell the land.

CLASSIC COMEDIES (available Tuesday, April 16)

All Hands on Deck (1961)
Zany goings-on aboard a Navy ship fly when a girl reporter stows away and an Indian crew member brings a live turkey aboard, throwing the entire Navy into confusion. This hilarious musical stars Pat Boone, Buddy Hackett and Barbara Eden.

Berlin Correspondent (1942)
Starring Virginia Gilmore, Dana Andrews, Martin Kosleck, and Erwin Kalser, Berlin Correspondent focuses on an American radio commentator in Berlin risks his life sending out coded messages to his listeners, warning of impending Nazi attacks.

Bobbikins (1959)
Shirley Jones and Max Bygraves star as the parents of the title character, an infant who talks like an adult. Bygraves is the only one who hears the infant speaking, leading others to believe he is losing his mind.

Call Me Mister (1951)
A song-and-dance man stationed in Japan in World War II goes AWOL to follow his wife, a member of an entertainment unit who has rejected him because of his many affairs. This World War II comedy features Betty Grable, Dan Dailey, Danny Thomas, and Dale Robertson.

Carnival in Costa Rica (1947)
A musical romance and intrigue in Central America occur when a boy and girl are betrothed by their families but are in love with others. The musical stars Dick Haymes, Vera Ellen, Cesar Romero, Celeste Holm, and Ernesto Lecuona.

Goodbye Charlie (1964)
Shot by a jealous husband and lost at sea, Charles finds himself returned to the world as a woman named Charlie in the zany comedy starring Tony Curtis, Debbie Reynolds, Pat Boone, Joanna Barnes, and Ellen Burstyn.

I Don’t Care Girl (1953)
The life of vaudeville performer Eva Tanguay, and the people with whom she lived and loved, is given lavish treatment. I Don’t Care Girl stars Mitzi Gaynor, David Wayne, Oscar Levant, Bob Graham, and George Jessel.

Irish Eyes are Smiling (1944)
Following the life of Ernest R. Ball, who composed many popular Irish songs. Sing along with Monty Woolley, June Haver, Dick Haymes, Anthony Quinn, Beverly Whitney, Maxie Rosenbloom, Veda Ann Borg, Clarence Kolb, Leonard Warren, and Blanche Thebom.

The Loves of Edgar Allan Poe (1942)
A glimpse into the life of writer and poet Edgar Allan Poe, his unhappy childhood, the women who loved him, and his driving ambition to write. This intense biography stars Shepperd Strudwick as the beloved author, Linda Darnell, Harry Morgan and Virginia Gilmore.

The Meanest Man in the World (1943)
After adopting a ruthless persona for himself, a kindly small town lawyer finds big city success, but loses himself and his girl in the comedy starring Jack Benny as the “meanest man” and his girl, Priscilla Lane.

Meet Me After the Show (1951)
When the marriage of a Broadway musical star and her producer husband breaks up, he feels she is only in love with money and she sets out to win back his love. This comedy stars Betty Grable, Macdonald Carey, and Rory Calhoun.

The Model and the Marriage Broker (1951)
Things just can’t go right when a model/client turns the tables on her cynical, meddling marriage broker. This classic romantic comedy features Jeanne Crain, Scott Brady Thelma Ritter and Zero Mostel.

The Moon is Down (1943)
Based on a novel by John Steinbeck, the film is the story of a small town in Norway that resists German occupation during World War II. The Moon is Down provides excellent action-packed performances by Cedric Hardwicke, Henry Travers and Lee J. Cobb.

The Remarkable Mr. Pennypacker (1959)
A successful businessman, Mr. Pennypacker, has two wives and two sets of children in two different cities - what will he do when one wife finds out about the other one? This love triangle stars Clifton Webb, Dorothy McGuire, Charles Coburn, Jill St. John, and Ron Ely.

A Royal Scandal (1945)
Russia’s Catherine the Great falls in love with a handsome young army officer who is really a revolutionary plotting her downfall that stars Tallulah Bankhead as the Empress, Charles Coburn, Anne Baxter, William Eythe, and Vincent Price.

Sally, Irene and Mary (1938)
Three manicurists get their shot at fame when one inherits a ferryboat, which they turn it into a successful floating nightclub. This hysterical musical stars Alice Faye, Tony Martin, Joan Davis, and Marjorie Weaver.

Sitting Pretty (1948)
As part of his research for a book on suburban life, self-described genius Mr. Belvedere takes a job as a babysitter for three hard-to-handle children. Sitting Pretty features Robert Young in an Oscar nominated performance, Maureen O'Hara, and Clifton Webb.

Sons and Lovers (1960)
A young man's life is adversely affected by the emotional manipulation of his domineering mother in this lush adaptation of D.H. Lawrence's classic novel. Winner of the Oscar for Best Cinematography and nominated for six more including Best Picture, the star-studded cast includes Trevor Howard, Mary Ure, Dean Stockwell and Donald Pleasance.

Surf Party (1964)
Starring Bobby Vinton, Patricia Morrow, and Jack DeShannon, Surf Party features a young girl heads to the beach with her friends to go see her brother, and finds romance, music... and trouble.

Teenage Rebel (1956)
A woman tries to mend her relationship with her teenage daughter after the end of her marriage. This emotional Oscar nominated drama stars Ginger Rogers, Michael Rennie, and Mildred Natwick.

Thanks A Million (1935)
When a political candidate is too inebriated to give his campaign speech, the singer from his entertainment troupe gives it for him and ends up voted in as Governor. Starring Dick Powell, Ann Dvorak, and Fred Allen.

Two Little Bears (1961)
Two little children discover how to turn themselves into bears. Two Little Bears features Eddie Albert, Jane Wyatt, Butch Patrick, and Brenda Lee.

Wake Up and Live (1937)
As Walter Winchell feuds with bandleader Ben Bernie, a young singer in Ben's band falls in love in this radio satire that stars Winchell and Bernie as themselves.

Whispering Ghosts (1942)
An actor who plays a detective on the radio tries to solve a real-life murder. This mystery-comedy stars Milton Berle, and Brenda Joyce.

The Young Swingers (1963)
A young woman is saddled with the task of evicting an entertainment company from a building her aunt owns. When she meets the rag-tag band of musicians, she decides to help them keep their lease. Starring Rod Lauren, Molly Bee, Jo Helton, and Gene McDaniels.

ABOUT TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTANMENT
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm so down on Fox's MOD program that I won't buy another title until I get some confidence that they have addressed such issues as OAR on their MOD releases. Furthermore, their PQ needs to improve just like Warner has done over the years.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Sons and Lovers deserves a BD release for many reasons. Are the elements in such poor shape that Fox could not have licensed it to Twilight Time for release, if not willing to do it themselves? It does have an excellent score, a requirement for most TT releases.
Mr. Redman, was this title offered to you?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Is anyone familiar with the Jane Withers vehicles? I'd be interested in hearing views as to which is best.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Whilst I am familiar with Jane's work, the titles are unfamiliar to me. Two I do remember from early TV Fox packages are Ginger & Pepper. Bright Eyes was a good example of a spoilt brat in a movie. Gave Shirley a good run for her money. I have waited a longtime for Fox to get Jane's titles out and will be buying these titles.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'd be excited about the 30s and 40s rarities if I wasn't concurrently worried half of them will look like NTA sourced video transfers made for 1970s broadcast television.

Strangely, Fox seems unwilling to release much of anything pre-1935 through this MOD line (two from 1934, one 1933), yet we've been getting plenty of films from 1935-1939. Seems like there's still a stigma against the pre-Zanuck material lingering at 20th Century.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Robert Crawford said:
I'm so down on Fox's MOD program that I won't buy another title until I get some confidence that they have addressed such issues as OAR on their MOD releases. Furthermore, their PQ needs to improve just like Warner has done over the years.
All I can say is that I'm glad I rented Message to Garcia (1936) and This is My Affair (1937) instead of buying them. Not even the early Warner Archive titles were this bad.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Sadly Jane Withers died on August 7, 2021 at age 95. Today she is known as Josephine The Plumber and the films "Bright Eyes" with Shirley Temple and "Giant" The majority of her films are unknown. I hope TCM repeats the Child Stars episode of Intimate Portraits

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sadly Jane Withers died on August 7, 2021 at age 95. Today she is known as Josephine The Plumber and the films "Bright Eyes" with Shirley Temple and "Giant" The majority of her films are unknown. I hope TCM repeats the Child Stars episode of Intimate Portraits
That was one of the most fascinating interviews I've ever seen on TCM. Four wonderful child stars: two box-office titans and two strong utility players, all sharing stories of their experiences working during the studio era. It's a shame they (not just TCM but enterprising producers at AMC or other film historians) didn't get the idea earlier and allow more child stars to tell their stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks