Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Flat screen TV vs. Monitor

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Kotz

Kotz

Auditioning

• 3 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 11 2013 - 10:39 AM

I'm looking for a 46" to 55" TV for my home theater system, however, as the sound will be coming thru my system I don't think I need to have an amplifier and speakers in the TV. Are flat screen monitirs available for this type of application? I've seen high end units for commercial use but haven't seen any for home theaters on a budget. Why aren't they available at the box stores? 

Thanks

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,263 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 11 2013 - 01:46 PM

Cause "Joe Consumer" is a moron.

Hitachi was the last company that tried monitors(their Ultra line from 4-6 years ago).

It failed...leading to their demise and to lesser extent...Pioneer/Elite folding up shop(basically the Ultra line was Hitachi's attempt to feast from the same wallets as Kuro consumers...all it did was lead both companies to decide they couldn't make any money).

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB

Second Unit

• 469 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted April 11 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'm looking for a 46" to 55" TV for my home theater system, however, as the sound will be coming thru my system I don't think I need to have an amplifier and speakers in the TV. Are flat screen monitirs available for this type of application? I've seen high end units for commercial use but haven't seen any for home theaters on a budget. Why aren't they available at the box stores? 

Thanks

Large format professional monitors are built better and, therefore, cost more.  They have circuitry and features tailored for video professional applications that demand more durability, stability, and versatility.  Such applications typically include the ability to run continuously for longer periods of time without stress or failure.  Examples include: digital signage, broadcast monitoring, program post production, medical, industrial, educational, military, security, etc.  An extreme example would be Dolby's Reference Monitor- a 42" LCD/LED which is 13" thick, weighs 150 lb, and costs $30,000.00.

Edited by GeorgeAB, April 12 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted April 12 2013 - 09:19 AM

the Panasonic 300 series plasma is very nice and doesnt have speakers (but very pricey)

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted April 12 2013 - 06:41 PM

Theyre not available at the box stores because all the tvs have a volume control that can be turned down all the way and left there for the life of the display.  

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users