-

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Which Aspect Ratio(s) is your preference for "Shane" on Blu-ray?

Paramount

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Aspect Ratio(s) is your preference for "Shane" on Blu-ray? (144 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the three options below would you choose to purchase "Shane" on Bluray?

1. Shane with 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio Only (10 votes [6.94%])

Percentage of vote: 6.94%

2. Shane with 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Only (28 votes [19.44%])

Percentage of vote: 19.44%

3. Shane with both, 1.66:1 and 1.37:1 Aspect Ratios (106 votes [73.61%])

Percentage of vote: 73.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 of 317 OFFLINE   ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 02:35 PM

Another film not available in its theatrical version now is Topaz - and no one knows the film apparently, since no one EVER talks about it.  That thing on the Blu-ray (and previously on DVD) is some early preview version, and while it's fun to have the extra footage, that version was never EVER seen in theaters and the theatrical version, whatever one may think of the film itself, plays much tighter and more tautly than the bloated preview version - which is most likely why Mr. Hitchcock made the cuts he did.

Sorry for going off topic again, but "Topaz" is available in a shorter Version in Germany on DVD and Blu-ray. It uses the "suicide ending" and not the "airport ending" from the longer version.

#302 of 317 ONLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 971 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted August 07 2013 - 02:17 AM

I see that Shane is now listed in iTunes in widescreen. Not sure if it is a typo or if the widescreen master just appeared there.

https://itunes.apple...ane/id215632626

If anyone have this rented or bought: could you re-download it to check the format? The trailer is in widescreen, but it doesn't mean anything. Just curious if they will release the other master on VOD.

#303 of 317 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,643 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 07 2013 - 02:28 AM

I see that Shane is now listed in iTunes in widescreen. Not sure if it is a typo or if the widescreen master just appeared there.

https://itunes.apple...ane/id215632626

If anyone have this rented or bought: could you re-download it to check the format? The trailer is in widescreen, but it doesn't mean anything. Just curious if they will release the other master on VOD.

If they rented or bought it, hopefully, they watched it so re-dowloading isn't necessary to answer your question.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#304 of 317 ONLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 971 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted August 07 2013 - 07:56 AM

Hi Robert,

Previously bought films can be deleted from your hard-drive, and re-downloaded from the "cloud". If a film is a upgraded, usually when you delete the old download and get it again, you get the remastered version. That's one of the advantages of the platform. 

#305 of 317 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 07 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi Robert,

Previously bought films can be deleted from your hard-drive, and re-downloaded from the "cloud". If a film is a upgraded, usually when you delete the old download and get it again, you get the remastered version. That's one of the advantages of the platform. 

Or disadvantages if you get a re-mastered worse version which can happen, check out The Sword In The Stone for proof of that.

• cafink likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#306 of 317 ONLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 971 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted August 07 2013 - 10:23 AM

Absolutely, that's why I don't use iTunes match. It's the nightmare of CD mastering purists.

#307 of 317 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,643 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 10 2013 - 02:06 AM

My BD has shipped and I will view it immediately once I get my hands on it.  One of the more anticipated releases for me in 2013.

Crawdaddy

#308 of 317 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,643 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 12 2013 - 02:13 PM

POPULAR

My BD has shipped and I will view it immediately once I get my hands on it.  One of the more anticipated releases for me in 2013.

After watching the BD today, I can report how extremely happy I was with the entire video presentation of this great film.  It was like viewing it for the first time.  An absolutely fine job by Paramount.  I will watch the BD again before the week is out in order to listen to the commentary by George Jr. and Ivan Moffat.  Man, I was smiling throughout the playing of the entire disc. 

• John Hodson, ahollis and Cremildo like this

Crawdaddy

#309 of 317 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,738 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 12 2013 - 04:29 PM

After watching the BD today, I can report how extremely happy I was with the entire video presentation of this great film. It was like viewing it for the first time. An absolutely fine job by Paramount. I will watch the BD again before the week is out in order to listen to the commentary by George Jr. and Ivan Moffat. Man, I was smiling throughout the playing of the entire disc.

Mine shipped today. After reading this I can not be happier. Thank you.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#310 of 317 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,643 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 13 2013 - 06:04 AM

I started watching it again this morning with the audio commentary.  Some interesting tidbits there.

Crawdaddy

#311 of 317 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 919 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted August 13 2013 - 06:41 PM

My 'Shane' is on the way; should be here from Amazon in about 10 days.

I'm happy about the final choice of aspect ratio but I do remember fondly the days when DVDs were issued with 'standard' on one side of the disc and 'widescreen' on the other, which makes sense for those 1952-53 borderline titles.

Another flipper I have with dual ratios is 'The Pyjama Game' (or is that 'Pajama' in the States?) and I do prefer the 4:3 for that one.

#312 of 317 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,643 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 13 2013 - 06:44 PM

The last line of dialogue has been restored on the BD from Joey.

• moviebuff75 likes this

Crawdaddy

#313 of 317 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 758 posts
  • LocationDC area

Posted August 14 2013 - 06:39 AM

My favorite western - it looked great on my 120 inch screen.

#314 of 317 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted August 14 2013 - 07:49 AM

My favorite western as well, although close between Shane and Unforgiven. 

Shane on Blu-ray is a revelation. Colors, contrast, everything are spot on. From the snow on the Tetons, to the muddy streets in the town, everything looks fantastic and like film. Watch for the changing light when Tory goes to town and see how magnificently the disc handles even the slightest change in shade. Incredible. I noted the bit rate floating at near 30 Mbps whenever I checked it, and while I realize that isn't the only measure for a good transfer, wow!

I think what I particularly like about Shane is the depth of character. The bad guys aren't all bad (well, maybe except for Wilson), and the good guys have their faults as well. It makes the viewer think a lot more and gives the film staying power. Are guns simply tools? Major debate on that one 60 years later. 

It's definitely a thinking persons western and the fact that George Stevens was a WW2 vet who had seen a lot of killing and death undoubtedly had a lot to do with the tone of Shane. 

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#315 of 317 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,643 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 14 2013 - 07:57 AM

I can't name a favorite western, but it's in my top ten of them.

Crawdaddy

#316 of 317 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,738 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 23 2013 - 08:09 PM

While Shane is in the top five, my number one is THE SEARCHERS. The SHANE Blu-ray is outstanding.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#317 of 317 OFFLINE   Cremildo

Cremildo

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted August 27 2013 - 03:12 PM

my number one is THE SEARCHERS.

Mine, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users