What's new

Which Aspect Ratio(s) is your preference for "Shane" on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Which of the three options below would you choose to purchase "Shane" on Bluray?

• Shane with 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Shane with 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • Shane with both, 1.66:1 and 1.37:1 Aspect Ratios

Votes: 114 71.7%

• Total voters

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here you go as I thought I would poll the membership about their preferences regarding this great film.

I voted for both ratios on the Blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I voted for both because I think each ratio has a valid argument for inclusion. I am certainly looking forward to having the film as I'm very dissatisfied with the DVD.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The poll is a good idea.

I voted for 1.37-1 because that is the ratio in which the director and photographer composed their shots. They did not foresee the widescreen projection and did not provide additional space for it. There is only one correct aspect ratio for SHANE.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I live in a kind of Utopian dream world where anything in possible, so I'd still like to see the film so beautifully composed in 1.37:1, and, as a historical document, the film that won an Oscar (the locked 1.66:1 recomposition). If they want to chuck in the reframed widescreen version as an extra I wouldn't object.

Meanwhile, on planet Earth, the absolute best we can hope for is for Warner / Paramount to relent and give us the 1.37:1 presentation alongside the reframed widescreen version; so that got my vote...

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I voted for 1.37:1 as it's the only ratio that I am interested in purchasing. I couldn't care less what aspect ratio it played in its premiere engagements. The only thing that interests me is the fact that the film was composed for the academy ratio.

However, I certainly wouldn't mind picking up a BluRay with both versions. Just give me the 1.37:1 version and I'm happy.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I voted for both aspect ratios as I would like to see the 1:66 version once as a historical curiosity -- noting that it's actually a new 1:66 version, not what really was seen back in 1953. After that one viewing -- I'll be watching it in 1:37.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Voted for both, but academy IS the extra not the reverse. 1.66:1 is the actual theatrical aspect ratio.There's no problem about it being adjusted. Movie transfers are adjusted all the time.

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith
I voted for both.

When I first watched Shane it was in widescreen at the cinema in the early 50s. So, although, it is not exactly the same 1.66, I still want it in widescreen.

And, I've only seen the movie in 1.37 since. So, I would like 1.37 as well.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Keith Cobby said:
I voted for 1.37:1 only. I've never liked 1.66:1 because it is neither academy nor 'proper' widescreen. The poll is a good idea.
'Proper' widescreen has to be large format or anamorphic?

What about the cinematographer that looks through his view-finder with colored plastic designating 1.66:1 and frames for that ratio?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Rob_Ray said:
I voted for 1.37:1 as it's the only ratio that I am interested in purchasing. I couldn't care less what aspect ratio it played in its premiere engagements. The only thing that interests me is the fact that the film was composed for the academy ratio.

However, I certainly wouldn't mind picking up a BluRay with both versions. Just give me the 1.37:1 version and I'm happy.
Me too.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Bob Furmanek said:
'Proper' widescreen has to be large format or anamorphic?

What about the cinematographer that looks through his view-finder with colored plastic designating 1.66:1 and frames for that ratio?
Not to put words in Keith's mouth, Bob, but what I THINK he means is that it's not proper widescreen in terms of being neither composed for widescreen nor being true to the historical wide framing.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
HDvision said:
Voted for both, but academy IS the extra not the reverse. 1.66:1 is the actual theatrical aspect ratio.There's no problem about it being adjusted. Movie transfers are adjusted all the time.
You know we CAN read your many posts on the topic so it's really not necessary to keep re-posting the exact same statement three to five times on every page.

As has been countered, the shape may be right but the content isn't. Transfers MAY be adjusted all the time but, if so, they are usually invisible adjustments and not publicized as such.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
That's kind of generalization is crazy talk though. If there was no big difference between 1:37 and 1:66, 1:85 etc then noone would of fought for correct aspect ratios in the first place.

Both is the only correct answer. 1:37 since that is what it's shot in and is therefore correct. 1:66 for those who want to view it compromised due to marketing whims since that is how it was presented theatrically for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks