What's new

Newbie on a budget - combining old & new gear - need Sub Woofer (1 Viewer)

Kotz

Auditioning
Real Name
M
Great site, learning a lot. Now I need to start saving $ to upgrade.

For now, I'm using 20 year old technology and it's working :)

Kenwood Receiver KR-V7050, a pair of Pinnacle PN8's for the front with a Pinnacle center and rear speakers. Also Pinacles in the bedroom, B&W DM 220's in the music room and outdoor speakers on the patio all going thru an old school Controller II switch box.

Just got a Philips Blue Ray player and an Airport Express (plugged into the Tape 2 input on the Kenwood) device to play YouTube audio and iTunes thru the system from my iPad. I'm going to purchase the Apple TV device to play movies thru the system. Looking for a good deal on a "thin" 46" to 55" flat screen.

The Kenwood doesn't have a input for a sub woofer. Is there a way I can attach one? If so, can someone recommend a decent sub? I listen primarily to concert DVDs, CD's and occasionally vinyl (on my Technics SLD-202). No games.

It's not fancy but it works and for anyone else on a budget, although I've had mine for 20 years, the old components can be found on Craigslist or at a thrift store very inexpensively!

Many thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum M. :)

Im not sure where Sam is coming up with "hundreds to choose from" as subs with high level inputs (aka speaker inputs) are getting very hard to come by anymore.

Since a sub is for life , and will stay with you even as your speaker upgrades progress, I recommend you go with another best value in the Hsu VTF2 MK4. It may be three times the price but that extra $400 gets you a much better sub in every way possible. This much better amp, driver and construction will pay big dividends in both music and movie performance but especially in speed and frequency response.

Entry level for a true sub...

http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

You might be able to spend less on a lesser Hsu sub but your frequency response and amp power will rapidly approach what a $200 sub will do.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You know, there are more than one hundred of speaker manufacturers. I would say at least 90% of them make subs(if that low a percentage...although there are those that don't...ie. Magnaplanar)...And on top of them...I can think of 10 "just sub" manufacturers.BIC has 6???Pinnacle has 9, at least.HSU has about a dozen.Velodyne has 15(I think).Def Tech had 30. Maybe 20 now.Dali at one time made 75 different subs. I think they only offer 50 at the moment.KEF has at least 15.I think that is already 100 to choose from. At least 40% of those have high level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks