What's new

Sad about forum member Jeff Ulmer (1 Viewer)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I don't know if this had been posted anywhere, or if this is the right place to post it...

I just found out on Blabbermouth (heavy metal news feed site) that longtime Home Theater Forum member Jeff Ulmer passed away on March 22, reportedly after a stroke.

I "spoke" with Jeff quite often here over the years (mostly in PMs), as I was a fan of his band Sacred Blade back in the 80s. They were kinda unique in their sound, and as a matter of fact, when I was in the music biz back then, I campaigned to get them signed to the label I worked for, to no avail. They were too "out there," I guess. I was a big fan of the song "Of the Sun and Moon."

You can read the story here.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
That's a shame. Guess it is inevitable for all of us (I'm sure not getting any younger) but still it always is a bit of a shock when someone you've known (if only online) passes.

I'll have to spin Zardoz or The Swimmer in memory of Jeff this weekend.

- Walter.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not sure whether I ever met Jeff, but I definitely know him through his posts. Very sorry to hear about this.

I didn't realize that he was in a band, and in a genre I love, to boot (hm, maybe that's the wrong choice of words). Will have to investigate. . .

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
If I remember correctly, Sacred Blade were on a tiny (French?) label called Axe Killer at the time, so they weren't heard by many people. It was my lifelong ambition to hear every heavy metal band on earth back then (who am I kidding, it STILL is), and I was SO happy when my boss handed me the album and asked me my opinion. I still have the vinyl.

The only way I was able to pull up Jeff's posts was from searching on the MAIN forum page...

Do a search for Sacred Blade Of the Sun and Moon on YouTube, and you can hear that whole album...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow that sucks. Jeff and I would often post on the same thread so while we may never directly have had a lot of back and forth, we clearly had a lot of the same interests. RIP Jeff.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wish I had Zardoz and The Swimmer so I could fire them up in rememberance.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Rest In Peace Jeff and thanks for sharing the news Don.
Sam Posten said:
Ugh, sorry to hear. Thanks for the notice! Trying to pull up the list of Jeff's posts isn't working for me, wonder if this is a bug with the transition?

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/user/268986-jeff-ulmer/
Not a bug, to make search snappier it only goes back a year by default. If you hit the Advanced Search "gear" to the right of the search box you can specify an earlier date and see his posts.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
A. Jeff Ulmer: generous friend, excellent musician, good man, nothing but class. Knowing that when the phone rings, I'll never hear that familiar "Hey, man" again (invariably followed by an hour or so of pleasant movie/music chat) is a sad thing indeed. Jeff left us way too soon. "Catch you later", as always.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Adam Gregorich said:
Not a bug, to make search snappier it only goes back a year by default. If you hit the Advanced Search "gear" to the right of the search box you can specify an earlier date and see his posts.
That's not working for me at all, can you walk me through it from beginning to end? Also, the drop down on the year box on the search does not scroll, you have to do it 5-6 years at a time....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not sure what you are getting at with that comment or the alert here. As much as it saddens me to lose HT friends I assure you I am having fun in my HT, in helping friends and family build movie watching solutions if not real HTs, answering questions here from new members, and debating the current state of tech and looking forward to the next generation.

If you aren't having fun look to your own situation and goals rather than outward.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh seems in poor taste especially since I can't figure out what the point is.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Sorry if that was unclear. I have that fond remembrance from 1997 of a visit to check out Jeff's new 65" TV, which he was rebuilding his basement around. Our houses were only about two miles apart in suburban Surrey, B.C., and I'd see him regularly at my record store, but he had just taken delivery of the Toshiba rear-projection set and wanted to share his excitement. We watched "Tomorrow Never Dies" and "Picnic At Hanging Rock" after goofing around in his garage studio for awhile. It was a great afternoon and evening. The advent of DVD was an exciting time. And I remain enthusiastic about home theatre to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks