Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Vudu resets user passwords after hard drives lost in office burglary

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,279 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted April 09 2013 - 03:57 PM

Apparently, Wal-Mart is offering free identity protection for one year through AllClear ID to make up for this snafu.

You can read the article on CNET.

Thankfully, I never recorded a credit card with Vudu, as I have only used a free rental code (from when they first launched on the PS3) and for UltraViolet streaming.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted April 09 2013 - 04:00 PM

I thought it was only affecting some people, not everyone?

Well, uh-oh.

#3 of 8 ONLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,048 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 09 2013 - 04:06 PM

It didn't impact everyone, but because they would have to verify everyone impacted, they are just giving everyone 1 year of identity theft protection.

I can't remember the last time a story like this came from a smash and grab, someone running into the building and physically stealing the data.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   mitch_vudu

mitch_vudu

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 11:11 PM

Thankfully, I never recorded a credit card with Vudu, as I have only used a free rental code (from when they first launched on the PS3) and for UltraViolet streaming.

Todd, from our FAQ: "It's important to note that the drives did NOT contain full credit card numbers, as we do not store that information."

If anyone has any questions about the incident, please see the special FAQ we've set up here: http://www.vudu.com/password_faq.html

If you still have unanswered questions after reading the FAQ, please do not hesitate to call or email us through the link.

VUDU.com ** Facebook: www.facebook.com/vudufans ** Twitter: vudufans ** Support: support.vudu.com

The opinions and views posted here are my own and may not necessarily reflect the views of VUDU.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

• 561 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 02:35 AM

That is really great to hear, but I think the Consumerist piece may have alluded to the fact that full credit card numbers were taken, too, FYI.

I'm not saying that you're wrong and they're right, obviously. Just the contrary. I just wanted to let you know, as that was the impression that I was under.

Edited by MattAlbie60, April 10 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,449 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 10 2013 - 03:40 AM

I got an email from Vudu that explained no CC information was kept/leaked.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

• 561 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 04:07 AM

Yeah, me too. I'm not worried about it, but I just wanted to let him know in his official capacity that I think news outlets have kind of started misreporting/misrepresenting this event almost instantly after the news broke.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,279 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted April 10 2013 - 07:51 AM

The point I was making was that, just in case credit card numbers were found to be intact, I should be safe, as I have never recorded a card number with the service.

Todd, from our FAQ: "It's important to note that the drives did NOT contain full credit card numbers, as we do not store that information."

If anyone has any questions about the incident, please see the special FAQ we've set up here: http://www.vudu.com/password_faq.html

If you still have unanswered questions after reading the FAQ, please do not hesitate to call or email us through the link.

• mitch_vudu likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users