What's new

New Development in Home Theaters - First Run Movies (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I know going to a movie theater can be inconvenient or annoying, but really...$35K + $500 a rental to see a first-run movie at home? Instead of $10-$15 for a movie ticket? I don't think many will sell, not even to the super-wealthy.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I know going to a movie theater can be inconvenient or annoying, but really...$35K + $500 a rental to see a first-run movie at home? Instead of $10-$15 for a movie ticket? I don't think many will sell, not even to the super-wealthy.
Yeah, really, I know it is expensive (*way* above anything I could ever afford, unless - as Carlo said - I hit the Powerball), but this would be the "holy grail" for some movie buffs, right?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Maybe.. I'd sure love to get a DCI copy of certain films for a private screening say at a reduced rate after the cinematic run, just for the quality. Otherwise though, lets not kid ourselves, the Hollywood elite get to do this already in their private screening rooms.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You know what I really have a problem with? Not the cost of the device, or the ancillary costs of building a home theater that really needs to rival a small theatrical experience...it's the 24 hour window that you get the movie for $500 a film.

Honestly, even if I won Powerball (and I should check my ticket, that reminds me ;) ) I wouldn't want to spend $500 just to show a movie for 24 hours. I would think that to be fair, Hollywood should for $500 let you:

[*]Show the movie for at least several days - chances are super rich people also work a lot of hours and one of the benefits of watching a movie at home is that you can stop it and re-start at your pleasure
[*]Then, after your purchase window is up, the movie becomes disabled, until it enters the purchase market (Blu-Ray/DVD release date) at which point it becomes active again in your system. Because for $500 I think that's fair.
[/list]
But it's very clear from that article that the people making this are aiming squarely at billionaires (they actually say "make billionaires giddy") so I guess for them any of the points I've made is a moot point. Because even if I won Powerball at $300 million, after taxes I'm still nowhere near a billionaire so I guess I just don't have the point of view that those people would have. They probably throw $500 away like I refuse to pick up dirty pennies off the street.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Carlo Medina said:
You know what I really have a problem with? Not the cost of the device, or the ancillary costs of building a home theater that really needs to rival a small theatrical experience...it's the 24 hour window that you get the movie for $500 a film.

Honestly, even if I won Powerball (and I should check my ticket, that reminds me ;) ) I wouldn't want to spend $500 just to show a movie for 24 hours. I would think that to be fair, Hollywood should for $500 let you:

[*]Show the movie for at least several days - chances are super rich people also work a lot of hours and one of the benefits of watching a movie at home is that you can stop it and re-start at your pleasure
[*]Then, after your purchase window is up, the movie becomes disabled, until it enters the purchase market (Blu-Ray/DVD release date) at which point it becomes active again in your system. Because for $500 I think that's fair.
[/list]
But it's very clear from that article that the people making this are aiming squarely at billionaires (they actually say "make billionaires giddy") so I guess for them any of the points I've made is a moot point. Because even if I won Powerball at $300 million, after taxes I'm still nowhere near a billionaire so I guess I just don't have the point of view that those people would have. They probably throw $500 away like I refuse to pick up dirty pennies off the street.
The guy may not be a billionare. The article said he was an "energy company investor who made his money off solar panels" (green subsidies off the government of California and the feds) Either way, money may not be an object (until those taxing us & borrowing to provide subsidies can't get anymore and can't pay the interest on what is borrowed).

For the rest of us, there may be other alternatives. I saw an add on TV last night that showed a subscription service on Direct TV to purchase a viewing of movies currently running in theaters. The selection may be limited, but I suspect it will be less than $500. My direct TV set up wasn't $35,000, either.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Something else in that article caught my attention......They were planning to spend nearly $500,000 on a home theater. What was an additional $35,000 to show first-run movies?When Ken and Carol Schultz began remodeling their 10,000-square-foot San Diego-area residence, they spared no expense on a screening room. The couple tricked it out with custom-built armchairs with heat and massage functions, and a Runco 3-D-capable projector with a price of about $100,000.

Dave>h

Second Unit
I am curious, and maybe I should start a poll instead, but what is the amount that a person would pay to screen a first run film at home?

Is it $20, $30, $40? More or less?

Personally, for me, if the wife and I were watching (and we have a very modest 4 seat home theater so we can't have a lot of guests), I would think $25 would be about fair. If it was something we (or even just me) wanted to see. That is the price of two theater tickets in our area. No babysitter, better popcorn and beer/wine plus the ability to pause and or restart at a later time, you might even convince me to go higher than that (but it really would have to be something we both wanted to see or else we just go separately).

What would you pay for the ability to stream first run films at home?

As it is, we generally watch first run rentals from Cinemanow for $6, which I think is a great deal much to the chagrin of my DVD store owning friend.

Dave>h

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wouldn't spend anything to see first run in my house.I don't spend anything for any movie to play in my hous e unless its on a disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks