What's new

3D Jurassic Park in IMAX 3-D / Bluray version out soon (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
Jurassic_Park_3D_Exclusive_Poster_IMAX_Cine_1.jpg

Over the weekend I was able to check out the Jurassic Park re-release in IMAX 3-D.

And to my pleasant surprise it was one of the best 2D to 3-D conversions I've seen to date. This is not a knock on the much praised "Titanic" conversion, as StereoD also helped with that conversion as well. Steven Spielberg no doubt insisted on only a quality conversion, unlike some of the studio quickie cash grab conversion we've seen previously. In this given case it cost Universal roughly $10 million converting the movie to 3D, and the results pay off on the screen.

So what makes a first rate 3D conversion? First off, I didn't see any blatant conversion artifacting. Not during the rain scenes, nor during the various fast motion sequences, or the different "shot through the window" scenes. These are all torture conditions for 3-D conversions. Add to that the parallax in JP3D is noticably wider than most of today's natively shot 3-D features. In certain sections it was close to 1950s (House of Wax) level of parallax. More parallax equates to more depth and overall a more noticeable 3-D image. Much of the stereoscopic layering was not only detailed but often was scaled throughout the stereoscopic z-space plane. Spielberg loves his tracking zoom type of shots, and adding 3-D only enhanced this approach. With the increased stereoscopic parallax, I often found myself studying the various layers of depth in what might normally be a more mundane scene in 2-D. The third dimension now adds a further sense of realism to the Dinosaurs, with 3-D allowing for a greater perspective of just how big they are supposed to be. Or in some cases, how uncomfortably close they can be at times.

It is worth noting there were also some minor artistic revisions in the feature. When the first loud thunder clap occurs near the ill triceratops, there is now a visual lightning flash to accompany it. Someone watching with me noted some production lights which were previously viewable in a reflection are now missing. It wouldn't surprise me if we find a few more minor tweaks here and there once this is available on home video.

Gary Rydstrom confirmed he has reworked/tweaked the soundtrack yet again, moving more material into the surrounds and changing some effects here and there. At the Imax theater locally, bass was lacking, but for now I'm guessing that aspect was not due to the mix. For the Imax showing, the three front channels were wide and active, with dialog occasionally being directional in nature. I'd prefer the upcoming 3-D Bluray also included the original bass laden 1993 theatrical 5.1 mix which also premiered the new DTS theatrical sound format. With that said, I certainly don't expect that to happen.

I'll have to reassess the quality further once it has been released on 3D Bluray, which of course allows for more scrutiny. The 3-D version utilizes a new 4K transfer with a color timing that (more than less) is now closer to the original 1993 theatrical prints. The image overall appeared sharper than the previous 2D bluray release. With that said, the 1993 CG effects will never be as detailed as today's CG work, barring a complete and oh so costly re-do of all of the special effects, which in itself would be a huge revisionist step. As for cropping, DNR, fine detail and overall contrast, that will be best judged on the home screen when comparisons to the older transfer can be performed. I'll be curious to also re-examine the 3-D experience on my 42" flat panel and 135" projection systems, and see how they both compare to my Imax viewing. Having the whole feature fill my whole peripheral vision ala IMAX can spoil one and be more visceral in nature, so it will be interesting to see how this translates to the smaller screen. Because of the wider parallax, I'm sure some will again complain of ghosting on the upcoming 3-D bluray. Sometimes that's the price for a good strong dose of 3-D when coupled with certain less than ideal 3D display devices. The included 2D bluray version will reportedly will be the older previous transfer that is already available.

JP3D took in 2nd place at the boxoffice this past weekend, taking in an estimated 18 million, with Imax screens accounting for 32% of the return. The 3-D Bluray will be available April 23rd.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Saw this in IMAX 3-D the other night, and even though I'm not a devotee of the Jurassic series, it was very enjoyable to revisit the film and I thought the 3D was pretty magnificent.

I have the DTS laserdisc, mainly because I got it for a song, but I should take it for a spin to revisit that soundtrack. I'd cast my vote, too, for inclusion of that on the Blu-ray. It is, after all, a pretty historic thing in itself.

GregK

Screenwriter
HDvision said:
Nice. Is the format still 1.85:1, or is the movie further masked for IMAX (or opened up?)?
The showing here looked to be 1.85:1.

GregK

Screenwriter
Charles Smith said:
Saw this in IMAX 3-D the other night, and even though I'm not a devotee of the Jurassic series, it was very enjoyable to revisit the film and I thought the 3D was pretty magnificent.

I have the DTS laserdisc, mainly because I got it for a song, but I should take it for a spin to revisit that soundtrack. I'd cast my vote, too, for inclusion of that on the Blu-ray. It is, after all, a pretty historic thing in itself.
The DTS 5.1 laserdisc is an almost perfect representation of the original DTS theatrical mix. Like 70mm mag audio with split surrounds, DTS theatrical is encoded onto 5 channels, with the LFE track being mixed into the split surrounds, then extracted and sent to subs for cinema playback. Spielberg wanted to make sure the audience also FELT the dinosaurs with the new theatrical DTS digital audio format, and that first mix certainly drove that home. My 1993 viewing of Jurassic Park was close in LFE intensity to my original Sensurround viewing of Battlestar Galactica in 1978. (The BSG 1978 Sensurround presentation on DVD is also botched up, but that's another story.) There was a 2.1 channel DTS and 35mm optical tailored Dolby Surround mix for theaters, a home video mix, and then some minor remixing was done for the later DVD 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS home video versions. When the separate DTS DVD was released, people complained to Universal, who in turn did a silent repress. Once the DVD DTS version repress was available, I remember picking that up and hearing a night and day difference to the Dolby Digital DVD release. It is a shame a track of historical significance like this is discarded for the bluray releases. Especially when it could be added with a minimal overall bit-budget hit. Fox releases frequently offer original sound mixes along with any remix, be they mono or vintage 4.0 multichannel.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Looking forward to this, Was there opening day in theaters, had the big black CAV Laser box, DVD, Blu and now the 3-D.Was going to see it in the theater, but realized for about $5 more I can just buy the disc, so I'm waiting lol. Love good 3D on my 60" DLP with no ghosting...

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
GregK, the DTS theatrical mix exists in the dark recesses of the internet. A fan bought up at an auction the actual CDs used in theaters for the soundmix, restored it and synced it to the current Blu-ray release. I'm sure someone will sync it to the new master too later, and it indeed sounds atomic.

Not sure if this as been talked about here, but the Blu-ray release is zoomboxed and have a totally wrong color timing.

You can see comparisons with the 3D trailer here: http://www.jurassic-park.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8314

Here's an example:

jpbluraycroped003.jpg

GregK

Screenwriter
HDvision said:
GregK, the DTS theatrical mix exists in the dark recesses of the internet. A fan bought up at an auction the actual CDs used in theaters for the soundmix, restored it and synced it to the current Blu-ray release. I'm sure someone will sync it to the new master too later, and it indeed sounds atomic.
I had not mentioned that, as it starts to enter a somewhat gray area regarding HTF rules. But yes- I've already given that DTS-MA track made from the original DTS CD-ROMs a spin, and it IS quite spectacular. It also makes comparing the two mixes very easy to do. The kicker is consumers should not have to do things like this...

GregK

Screenwriter
HDvision said:
And here's a comparison with the original VHS and the Blu-ray. That Blu-ray was absolutely NOT the movie ;)

Not sure if this as been talked about here, but the Blu-ray release is zoomboxed and have a totally wrong color timing.
I'll be very curious to see how the upcoming 3-D bluray compares to the older 2D bluray version regarding these issues. At a minimum, colors and sharpness looked improved. Can't say for sure yet on brightness and some other areas...

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
Watched this last night.Now I'm a long time, big 3D fan so know that going in, but I thought this was the best 3D conversion I've yet seen.Honestly, I'd have thought this was actually shot in 3D. Admittedly I haven't seen TITANIC since I don't like the film.You may figure I'm going to be more forgiving than most since I am such a fan, but really I'm probably more picky about 3D than a lot of folks since I've been a life-long collector.
This was really a surprise to me. I like the film well enough, but have seen it plenty and think it certainly has flaws.However this was like a whole new experience for me, and I had a great, popcorn time watching it with the sound cranked up and just being immersed in the world (and the cg dinos are still about the best use of the medium I've seen).Probably as controversial as colorization, and I have no interest in getting into a whole big argument, but I for one hope they'll do this to at least a few more classic sci-fi and adventure films. Colorization is far from perfect still, but this process is pretty much all the way there.As always, as long as the original versions are available, I see no harm, although I know others may disagree.But I'd LOVE to see the original KING KONG and some Harryhausens put into 3D (seems a natural given the use of dimensional models does it not?), as well as say the original ALIEN and ALIENS.
And as Bob Furmanek has said elsewhere, you could use it to reconstruct films that were ORIGINALLY in 3D but have been lost in that form such as TOP BANANA.
If it can be done this well, I say go for it!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Sam!
Now I'm a long time, big 3D fan so know that going in, but I thought this was the best 3D conversion I've yet seen.
Happy to hear you say that. I thought it looked good, but uneven. Some scenes just looked
more flat than others, but in all, an admirable effort.
But I'd LOVE to see the original KING KONG and some Harryhausens put into 3D
I am with you, Sam, but with all the dust being kicked up over the OZ 3D conversion, I am
growing rather weary over the arguments for/against such conversions being done when
the original artists are long deceased. I don't think I can bear to keep discussing the same
topic over and over again.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I think Orson Welles' movies like Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil would make good candidates for 3D conversion due to the depth of the shots and the way they're composed. Unfortunately, I don't see purists liking that too much.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I think as long as the 2-D version is being kept and available, who the hell cares if someone makes a 3-D version! If you don't like it don't watch it and leave the rest of us alone who want them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
I think as long as the 2-D version is being kept and available, who the hell cares if someone makes a 3-D version! If you don't like it don't watch it and leave the rest of us alone who want them.
NOOOO!! History!!! Preservation!!!! Colorization!! ARRRGHH!!!!

Seriously though, I don't have a particular interest in seeing movies converted to 3-D (I'd have been happy to see Jurassic Park, Titanic, Star Wars or Toy Story in theaters again in 2-D) but as long as the 2-D version is available, I'm not worried about them converting movies either.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sam33, I like your 3D movie conversion suggestions. Considering you are a big fan of 3D, is your avatar chosen with a helping of irony? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks