What's new

Say good bye to Pork Chops (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
(where is the eyeroll emoticon?)...
Good question. I'm the chairman of the emoticon committee. I need to investigate how it didn't survive the move.

In the meantime, this will have to do:

stupid.gif

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'll just call it a "port chop" and then everyone will think they just misheard me, and I'll still be adhering to the new name. :D

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
Just an excuse to raise prices to match the fancy new names.
Pork chops are pretty lousy cuts of meat, no matter what they call them. I think no matter how you cook them they come out dry.

I much more prefer pork "steaks" which are much tastier, red rather than white and although they have more bones to cut around, are kind of like the fattier chuck portions of beef. All sorts of ways to cook them and they're much more flavorful than chops.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Pork chops are pretty lousy cuts of meat, no matter what they call them. I think no matter how you cook them they come out dry.
You obviously don't know how to cook them. Marinate and then broil them. They come out nice and juicy every time.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Kevin Hewell said:
You obviously don't know how to cook them. Marinate and then broil them. They come out nice and juicy every time.
I'm actually not very fond of juicy/soggy meat.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Hewell said:
Actually have never tried that method, I'll give it a shot. More of a BBQ grill or quick sauté kind of guy. I've done a few slow cook recipes, where you brown them on high heat, add a sauce and simmer for an hour or two, not great but end up with a nice gravy for pasta or potatoes..

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Stan said:

I much more prefer pork "steaks" which are much tastier, red rather than white and although they have more bones to cut around, are kind of like the fattier chuck portions of beef. All sorts of ways to cook them and they're much more flavorful than chops.
Bumping an old thread here. My mother makes the best pork chops. She batters them, browns them in the skillet and then bakes them for about an hour or so. Really great!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I usually get thin cut ones, bread them, and give them a quick fry -- they always come out crispy on the outside, and moist on the inside.

Also a fan of sauteeing with peppers, onions and a little sherry vinegar. (For thinner chops, they finish fine on the stovetop, but for thicker ones I'll saute them and then put them in the oven for a few minutes to finish them off.)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Josh Steinberg said:
Also a fan of sauteeing with peppers, onions and a little sherry vinegar. (For thinner chops, they finish fine on the stovetop, but for thicker ones I'll saute them and then put them in the oven for a few minutes to finish them off.)
Canned apricots, onion, and balsamic vinegar. :P

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you like grilled pork chops but have had issues with them turning out too dry, you might want to try brining them, that is, soaking them in salt water solution before you cook them. Mix some salt and cold water, let the chops sit in there for an hour or so, and then take them out and pat them dry, and then season and cook as you normally would. Throw some veggies on the grill while you're at it, nice simple easy meal.

If you wanna go really fancy, some of the mail-order heritage breed pork is just phenomenal. (Or perhaps if you have a good butcher nearby, they may have some.) Most of the pork we eat has been bred in such a way to remove all of the fat, and the flavor and texture suffers. It's not something I've had the chance to try often, but when I have, it's been incredible.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
re: dry pork chops i've just been grilling them in the last two weeks now that the weather's less cold. the key is low to medium fire and a bit longer time.with nothing but the meat i get it pretty juicy and no charring.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Josh Steinberg said:
If you like grilled pork chops but have had issues with them turning out too dry, you might want to try brining them, that is, soaking them in salt water solution before you cook them. Mix some salt and cold water, let the chops sit in there for an hour or so, and then take them out and pat them dry, and then season and cook as you normally would. Throw some veggies on the grill while you're at it, nice simple easy meal.

If you wanna go really fancy, some of the mail-order heritage breed pork is just phenomenal. (Or perhaps if you have a good butcher nearby, they may have some.) Most of the pork we eat has been bred in such a way to remove all of the fat, and the flavor and texture suffers. It's not something I've had the chance to try often, but when I have, it's been incredible.
I've saw my mother do that in years past, too, but not recently. You can also bake them in an oven bag and they'll come out moister.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ron1973 said:
I've saw my mother do that in years past, too, but not recently. You can also bake them in an oven bag and they'll come out moister.
I've heard people rave about oven bags for various purposes, but I've yet to try one... I should stop making excuses and experiment!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks