Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Philips 60PP9601 HD inputs dead

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 02:59 PM

We have a Philips 60PP9601 HDTV. It was working fine for years but recently both HD inputs have gone dead -- no picture. It has two HD inputs; component and VGA.

The standard-def inputs are still working, but not well. I would guess the problem with them started at the same time as the HD inputs, but I'm not sure because I rarely used them until now.

One of the SD inputs is S-Video. It has lots of flashing horizontal lines. Also, blues sort of bloom and take over large areas of the screen. Also the color is not right.

Another SD input is composite. That one has much fewer flashing lines, and I haven't seen the blooming blues. But the color is also not right.

Any suggestions? Is it clear from this description what part or parts probably need replacing? Is it possible for me to get and install those parts myself without having to pay for a pro or replace the TV?

Thanks,

Greg

#2 of 5 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,615 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 08 2013 - 03:44 PM

I just looked, is that thing 4:3?

IF so...it died.

#3 of 5 Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 08:45 PM

It's a rare 4:3 HDTV. 1080i, 720p.

The only difference between it and its sister 16:9 HDTV model 55PP9701 is that it's taller.

Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin look great on that 60" 4:3 HDTV screen.

Greg

I just looked, is that thing 4:3?

IF so...it died.

#4 of 5 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,615 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 08 2013 - 10:06 PM

I get it that it was a great set...

Emphasis on was.

Being a 4:3, it is old enough i seriously doubt there are parts. Even if shared with the 55...

#5 of 5 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 22 2013 - 12:07 PM

From a cost/benefit standpoint (finding parts/ labour/whether necessary to hire someone to do the work for you), like most technology from the last 20 years or so, it is cheaper to replace it than to repair it. It's called "planned obsolescence."

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users