• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   jmacres

jmacres

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hello, new member here:

I recently moved into a home that was pre-wired and my beloved floor standing Polks (M70's for sale BTW) would not fit into the room at all.  I recently went with Polks TL350 five speaker package which so far is great.  My question is regarding the actual existing wires for the sub which are at the left rear if viewing.  There is one large what seems to be coax single core wire and then there is another group of cables that almost looks like component wires (different colors).  After reading some posts on this site I'm leaning towards just putting a single male RCA connecter on the single wire and going from the receiver to woofer with that.  I was just curiuous to know what the other bundle of wires was for?  it was actually wrapped up together with the single cable I noted above.

Thanks in advance for any info

Jeff

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 08 2013 - 01:32 PM

Sounds like they tried to send component video and digital coax audio from one end to the other. If the component exists on both ends, just pick one of the colors and use that. Component*, composite, digital coax and shielded subwoofer is all the same cable.

*Obviously in triplicate.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 08 2013 - 01:34 PM

Matter of fact, I use two component video cable for my analog SACD/DVD-A players...why?

Cause you can buy 2 component video cables for less than you can buy 3 stereo analog cables.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,706 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted April 09 2013 - 06:32 PM

"...there is another group of cables that almost looks like component wires (different colors)." 

That almost sounds like multi-channel analog input cables.

And yes, just use the single coax cable from the receiver to the subwoofer. Plug it into the yellow LFE input which will bypass the crossover control knob.

I also use component cables for my analog audio. For example:

http://www.accessori...ble-3-Ft/1.html

http://www.accessori...le-12-Ft/1.html

Edited by gene c, April 09 2013 - 06:34 PM.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Subwoofer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users