Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

leave it to beaver

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#21 of 188 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted April 14 2013 - 02:00 PM

S6 was my favorite season of the series and Frank Bank was one of the reasons.

t01952.jpg

Remembering Lumpy with what was also my favorite opening theme of the series for S6...   LITB S6 Opening

• Gary OS likes this

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#22 of 188 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,520 posts

Posted April 14 2013 - 06:20 PM

POPULAR

A good friend emailed me with the news of Mr. Bank's death late last night and this is my first chance to respond to it here.  Like Jeff, I found S6 of LITB to be my favorite and there's no doubt that the combination of Lumpy and Eddie were a big part of that enjoyment.  I'm very sorry to see yet another of my favorite actors pass away.  RIP Lumpy.

Gary "I also like the S6 theme the best, Jeff" O.

• Jeff Willis, BobO'Link and Walsh61 like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#23 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 04:06 PM

the flickering is not as bad on the last 2-3 disks of season 1, as opposed to the first ones.

since i think you guys said it was mainly on indoor scenes, it may be that these shows are more outdoors than before ?

#24 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 08:44 PM

i just watched "wally's new suit".  that was especially good.

all these episodes have good little meanings to them.

#25 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 08:44 PM

i just finished the episode where gilbert is introduced.  they used the last name 3-4 times.

i kept hearing "gates".  so i thought maybe my memory was faulty.  but no - everywhere refers to him as "bates"

either my hearing needs to be checked, or this is a laughable snafu.

#26 of 188 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,100 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 07 2013 - 08:52 PM

i just finished the episode where gilbert is introduced.  they used the last name 3-4 times.

i kept hearing "gates".  so i thought maybe my memory was faulty.  but no - everywhere refers to him as "bates"

either my hearing needs to be checked, or this is a laughable snafu.

http://www.imdb.com/...ref_=tt_trv_trv

#27 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 09:03 PM

thanks - how in the heck is that big of a snafu go unnoticed ?

#28 of 188 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,428 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 08 2013 - 03:51 AM

^ If I remember correctly, there's a similar mistake where Fred Rutherford's wife was named Gwendolyn early on and then became Geraldine later on.

I guess you can chalk those kinds of mistakes up to the writers not remembering over the years and not being able to concieve of a time when people would be able to watch all the episodes over and over in a row in syndication or on DVD and catch the mistake.

Edited by TravisR, May 08 2013 - 03:54 AM.

#29 of 188 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,756 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 08 2013 - 05:43 AM

June:  "Ward, I think you need to have a talk with the writers..."

• Ron1973 likes this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#30 of 188 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,001 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 12:23 PM

On "I Love Lucy," Ethel was Ethel Roberta Mertz (Roberta was Vivian Vance's real middle name), then Ethel Louise Mertz (Louise was the name of William Frawley's ex-wife) and then finally, and officially, Ethel Mae Mertz.  The explanation for these things is that the producers and writers just didn't care and never dreamed we'd be talking about these things 50 or 60 years later.

#31 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 08:59 PM

i just finished the 2nd season with wally going to the dance contest with mary ellen rogers.

gosh, this is a good show.

the first part of the series had barbara billingsley doing what i thought was less than stellar acting just some of the time.

but i think at this point, she has really grown right into the role.

all 4 do a good job playing off one another.  and they dont make anyone unbelievable.

i dont like the shows where they have 6-year old kids coming up with intelligent wisecracks that are way beyond the capability of a kid of that age.

#32 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 09:12 PM

also, barbara billingsley lost a fair amount of weight.

i noticed she seemed chunkier than my recall as a boy had thought she was, when i first started watching.

but by the end of the second season, she is looking almost too skinny.

i wonder if she was asked to lose weight for the series ?

there is a good chance that i might not have ever seen these first couple of years.

i had not yet turned 3 when the show began.

#33 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 09:14 PM

i lied - i still have disk 6 to go !!!

#34 of 188 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,756 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 13 2013 - 06:12 AM

POPULAR

:laugh:   Jimmy, I'm having a blast reading your comments about one of my favorite TV shows.

I think, for me, one of the things that made the show so good was the casting.  Each of the four principals, plus the actors who played the recurring characters of Fred & Clarence Rutherford, Judy Hensler, Miss Landers, Mrs. Rayburn and, of course, Eddie Haskell were pitch-perfect in bringing those characters to life.  The writing was superb as well as they stayed true to all these characters and they way they'd interact with each other. 

We have had a number of debates about this in other threads on the show...but put me in the camp of those who love the early seasons of LITB the best.  I always thought the younger Beaver fit the universe of the show's concept better...and June was "young and happening."  They seemed to make her a bit more matronly by the end of the show's run. 

And three cheers for Burt Mustin as Gus the Fireman!  He was probably the first actor I--as a child--ever realized played different characters on different TV shows.  I always thought he was terrific. 

And I think your comment above says it best:

gosh, this is a good show.

• Rob_Ray, Jeff Willis and Walsh61 like this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#35 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 03:56 PM

hi mike,

one thing that i have seen as pretty constant on all the series that i have watched complete in chronological order is that it takes a little bit of time for the writers/directors/actors to develop the characters.

after that, it is simply a matter of good writing.  if the directors/actors have a good script, they will make a good show.

i really dont recall any weak episode, as of yet.

you mentioned eddie - he hasnt been in it much as of late.  ken osmond was probably not available for whatever reason, cuz he normally did not miss that many shows in a row ?

i sure hope they dont mess with the interplay between ward and june, if they make her seem more matronly.

that is my favorite part, now.

fairly recently, the episode starts off with ward drinking a cup of coffee.  he takes a sip, and says - "june, this coffee is cold".

with a brilliant deadpan sarcasm, june says - "i dont know why.  i poured it 20 minutes ago when you said you were coming down" !!!!!

• hypnohighball likes this

#36 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 04:00 PM

that sort of humor tickles my funny bone way more than most comedies.

stuff is not funny to me, if it is predictable.

and it is even funnier when you know it mimics real life.

i would say that ward and june have a wonderful relationship with each other - the sort that most people would like to have with their spouse.

#37 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 04:02 PM

this is the one show that i really recall some posters stating that it would not come out, cuz it was not popular enough.

my only reply was "it is obvious you did not live at that time".  it was the nicest thing i could say to such an incorrect statement.

#38 of 188 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 06:46 PM

It just premiered on ME-TV after years of being on Antenna TV, so enjoy.

#39 of 188 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,001 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 03:29 PM

I think "Leave It to Beaver" might be unique in TV history.  I don't think a single one of the 234 episodes was about a situation that couldn't actually happen in real life.

Now, people might criticize that June did housework all dressed up, in pearls even -- and Ward sat around in the evening still in his suit and tie -- and the teachers were too good to be true -- and maybe it was unrealistic that Beaver NEVER learned his lesson (could he have been THAT stupid?) -- but as far as the actual plots were concerned, it was always something that could actually happen, and probably did to many kids at one time or another.

Add to that the true-to-life characters of Eddie Haskell, Lumpy Rutherford, Larry Mondello, and Beaver's other backstabbing friends, you have an all around great show.

• Ron1973 likes this

#40 of 188 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,639 posts

Posted May 14 2013 - 09:03 PM

i dont know if you guys are aware, but there is a web site that hosts hundreds of tv and film personalities, in biographical interviews.

not the dumb stuff like late night shows.  but where both parties are talking to one another, like real people.

each person has a 4-5 hour interview.

barbara billingsley explained that the reason why she always wore a jewel around her neck, was because of a somewhat unsightly large indentation around her throat.

as a kid, i didnt notice it.  nor did i ever think about what sorts of clothes they were wearing.  just the story, and what we learned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users