-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The first William Castle-directed film out on Blu-ray...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,043 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 03:51 PM

Mill Creek is producing some interesting Columbia pairings in their ultra-cheap line, and here they combine Castle's black and white MR. SARDONICUS with the not-so-hot BROTHERHOOD OF SATAN (I would rather have seen THE TINGLER as the second feature, but hey....)

So, this beats out the more expected HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL as Castle's first Blu-ray directorial effort, one I have always had a fondness for.

#2 of 15 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,514 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 04:50 PM

Actually, I thought Olive's release of Castle's Shanks was going to be the first with a May 28th release, but it seems this Mill Creek one will beat it by a couple weeks.

#3 of 15 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 869 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 05:19 PM

Actually, the first ones were PROJECT X and THE SPIRIT IS WILLING. :D

#4 of 15 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,514 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 05:46 PM

Oh, yeah!  Forgot about those :)

#5 of 15 David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 05:11 AM

Oh, yeah!  Forgot about those :)

So did the rest of Castle fans who prefer Homicial Straight-Jacket, the Tingler, House on Haunted Hill etc :) 

#6 of 15 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,819 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 07:39 AM

Is Mill Creek getting the transfers from these from Sony?  My worry about House on Haunted Hill is that we'll just get some blu version of the existing dvd as seems to be happening with pd titles.

Mill Creek is producing some interesting Columbia pairings in their ultra-cheap line, and here they combine Castle's black and white MR. SARDONICUS with the not-so-hot BROTHERHOOD OF SATAN (I would rather have seen THE TINGLER as the second feature, but hey....)

So, this beats out the more expected HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL as Castle's first Blu-ray directorial effort, one I have always had a fondness for.

#7 of 15 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted April 08 2013 - 07:41 AM

Although it's a welcome surprise that Mill Creek will be releasing Mr. Sardonicus at a can't-beat price, the collector in me is still hoping that Homicidal receives a Twilight Time showcase. Of all the Castle films, I just think that its fascinating production background and rare Hugo Friedhofer score would be better served via Julie Kirgo liner notes plus an IST. 

At this point, probably wishful thinking though...  <_<  

#8 of 15 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,514 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 11:23 AM

While the DVD the House on Haunded Hill left much to be desired, it was a WB release so they'd probably put some work into it.  The trouble is, being a PD film, they likely won't release a blu-ray anytime soon.

#9 of 15 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,122 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 08 2013 - 02:47 PM

Is Mill Creek getting the transfers from these from Sony?

Yes

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 15 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,819 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 03:32 PM

While the DVD the House on Haunded Hill left much to be desired, it was a WB release so they'd probably put some work into it.  The trouble is, being a PD film, they likely won't release a blu-ray anytime soon.

I am not an expert, but for a DVD, I thought the DVD of House on Haunted Hill was great.  Does Sony own the elements on this title?  It may be that all they need is a good scan.  To my understanding, a blu release of the old DVD transfer would even be a significant improvement.

#11 of 15 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,604 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 08 2013 - 04:38 PM

I am not an expert, but for a DVD, I thought the DVD of House on Haunted Hill was great. Does Sony own the elements on this title? It may be that all they need is a good scan. To my understanding, a blu release of the old DVD transfer would even be a significant improvement.

HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL was an Allied Artists film but has fallen into Public Domian. Warners has the elements, since they control most Allied Artist titles and did a DVD release to tie into the 1999 remake. That release from Warners was to me the best. Perhaps WAC could do a Blu release.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#12 of 15 Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 10:12 AM

i absolutely agee that HOMICIDAL would make a great Twilight Time disc, especially with Hugo Friedhofer's score isolated.

#13 of 15 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 05:18 AM

Just a fun little preview round-up for Castle fans...

#14 of 15 BPullen

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 09:08 PM

Homicidal (1961) is something I've read about for years. Castle's response to Hitchcock's Psycho (1960), this continues to stoke curiosity. A score by Hugo Friedhofer? Hopefully this hits in October or perhaps next year. For someone who's wanted to see it, TT is ideal. Here's hoping.

#15 of 15 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 09:53 PM

Homicidal is a curiosity for sure. And in the wake of Psycho, Castle was unabashed in his promotion of its Hitchcockian elements. But the picture has its own creepy voice and tone...derivative perhaps, but not a schuck. I still think it's the best thing Castle ever did.

BTW, hi Bruce!*

* To some folks on that 'other' forum, apparently I've now started talking to myself. ;) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users