Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mad Men Season 6

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#161 of 171 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,112 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 17 2013 - 02:49 PM

Can't say I didn't see this one coming. After Breaking Bad set new ratings records for itself, this particular check was almost definitely in the mail.

I even remarked on this happening a couple of weeks ago during a conversation about Bad -- AMC was totally gonna milk their other shows this way now, too.

Considering the slow-burn nature of the show, what in the world do they hope to achieve by splitting this in two -- artistically? I hope to hell I'm wrong, but I can't imagine the first half is going to be particularly compelling. I suppose we'll see.

Edited by joshEH, September 17 2013 - 02:54 PM.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#162 of 171 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,342 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 17 2013 - 04:27 PM

Considering the slow-burn nature of the show, what in the world do they hope to achieve by splitting this in two -- artistically? I hope to hell I'm wrong, but I can't imagine the first half is going to be particularly compelling. I suppose we'll see.

I'm hoping that it's business as usual and they write the season as a 14 episode piece. I'd rather have no payoff in the mid-season finale than have two more or less separate 7 episode arcs and not have the show's usual slow build to an emotional climax.

#163 of 171 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,947 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'm not happy about this either, but it's not fair to hang this on AMC. HBO did the same thing with the Sopranos in its final year, as did SyFy with Battlestar Galactica. EW missed this fact too in their article today, and put the blame on AMC (which is hardly blameless!), but it's been done before.

#164 of 171 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,112 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 06:04 PM

Well, in a sense, it kinda can be blamed on AMC to a certain extent, since they were obviously waiting around to see how this little experiment panned out first with Breaking Bad before finally committing to it with any of their other shows.

When Breaking Bad suddenly doubled its audience-figures overnight, the AMC execs probably couldn't get ahold of Weiner fast enough to announce their new "change in plans" (he likely knew it was coming, too, after seeing the numbers move).

You're right in mentioning HBO as a network which did this first with The Sopranos, but even then it was more experimental than a sure thing -- although mitigated somewhat by the almost-surefire audience interest in that show's "final season."

Though I love it desperately, Mad Men has never been the type of show where I'm just DYING to know what happens next in the same way that -- for example -- Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are, and things don't usually really pick up until the final three episodes of a season.

Here's hoping Weiner is taking this into account when designing these final two runs.

Edited by joshEH, September 17 2013 - 08:49 PM.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#165 of 171 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,342 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 17 2013 - 06:48 PM

I'm not happy about this either, but it's not fair to hang this on AMC. HBO did the same thing with the Sopranos in its final year, as did SyFy with Battlestar Galactica. EW missed this fact too in their article today, and put the blame on AMC (which is hardly blameless!), but it's been done before.

I didn't say that AMC invented this strategy and while I'm not defending it, at least when Sci-Fi, HBO and Comedy Central (with Futurama) did it, they were splitting up 20 to 26 episodes. AMC is splitting up 14 episodes over two years. I guess I should be glad that AMC didn't decide to take the season and just have annual Mad Men specials until 2027. :)

And I could be wrong but if I remember correctly, the folks that worked on The Sopranos actually got paid because they were initially only contracted for 12 episodes.

#166 of 171 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,112 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 07:03 PM

Wow.

#167 of 171 OFFLINE   Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 17 2013 - 07:39 PM

So, the end of Mad Men gets broken in two???  :unsure:  :unsure:  The Beginning and The End of an Era!!!!?????? :wacko:  :wacko:

And to think all of this is brought to you by another episode being tacked onto the final initial 13, making it a final revised 14 instead!!!!???? :huh:  :huh:

I wonder how this, pray tell, will play out over the next two years!!!?????  :blink:  :blink:

The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

#168 of 171 OFFLINE   Emanuel1

Emanuel1

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 04:31 AM

How many episodes of Mad Men will there be in season 6?

#169 of 171 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,947 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 05:16 AM

Wow is right! Towne is responsible for some of the best screenplays of the last 50 years. Not that Mad Men was ever lacking in the writing department, but this is exciting. It also means expectations are very high. 

Moreover, it goes to show that the place for writers these days is on television, not the big screen.

#170 of 171 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,947 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 05:18 AM

How many episodes of Mad Men will there be in season 6?

There were 13 episodes in the 2013 sixth season. Season 7 will have 14.

#171 of 171 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 19 2013 - 10:14 AM

That's great news -- I didn't know that Robert Towne was still alive! :)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users