Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mad Men Season 6

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#141 of 171 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 17 2013 - 07:34 PM

I'd like to give the episodes another viewing before making a final determination but I'd say that this was their least successful season. That's not to say that this season was bad or really lacking just that it wasn't as good as previous seasons and considering how good the other years were, there's no shame in being second to those earlier seasons.

#142 of 171 ONLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,187 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:41 AM

I'm fairly new to this show, just started watching a couple months ago and have spent the past couple months catching up on seasons 1-5 via Netflix. But I think season 6 is solid - the agencies merging and the Ted/Don conflict with Peggy in the middle has added a new dynamic to the show that it really needed at this point. And I like it more than season 4 with divorced-and-depressed Don.

I'm not crazy about the Bob Bensen reveal. He's not another Don, though. Though Don stole his identity, he got where he is professionally through his own talents and perseverance.  Bob has pretty much faked everything.

I am, however, liking the Sally storyline quite a bit. Quite a lot of changes for her character, and her relationship with each of her parents after she catches Don.

#143 of 171 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 23 2013 - 07:32 PM

Well that sure as heck was a game changer.   I have no idea where the next season will pick up, but could be damn interesting..

Spoiler

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#144 of 171 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,889 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 07:52 PM

Well, they did shuffle the deck chairs in the season finale, didn't they?

The entire season has been stripping Don down to bare essentials, given the flashbacks, his erratic behavior at work, his drinking, his infidelity, his marriage on the rocks.  The final scene highlights Don's realization that if you can't accept where you came from, at the very core, how can you honestly deal with the future? 

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#145 of 171 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 04:07 AM

That was the best episode of the season.

Spoiler

I took it as that he's on the bench indefinitely until he can get his act together rather than being more or less fired. That way, they don't have to buy him out or have to worry about him going to another agency and they can get his talent back when he stops thinking it's a good idea to tell clients about being raised in a whore house.

Based on what Matthew Weiner has said in previous years, the series will get to the end of the decade so the next season will likely be 1969. I wouldn't take that to mean that the show will end precisely on December 31, 1969 but for the most part, I'd expect S7 to set over 'next' year.

#146 of 171 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,944 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 04:44 AM

I thought it was a great ending to a great season. Don started the season with everything, and ended it with nothing. Loved the scene of him pouring the alcohol into the sink, and the "whorehouse pitch" he made to Hershey. It's like everything he's done is to make up for the fact that no one wanted him as a child.

Confused about Pete. Is he going to LA with Ted? In place of Ted? Is he lying somehow? What the hell really happened to his mother? 

But overall, wow. What a great season, with terrific performances and most of all, great writing.

#147 of 171 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 05:13 AM

I thought it was a great ending to a great season. Don started the season with everything, and ended it with nothing. Loved the scene of him pouring the alcohol into the sink, and the "whorehouse pitch" he made to Hershey. It's like everything he's done is to make up for the fact that no one wanted him as a child.

Confused about Pete. Is he going to LA with Ted? In place of Ted? Is he lying somehow? What the hell really happened to his mother?

I thought Pete was going with Ted to Los Angeles but don't hold me to it. As for his mom, I'd say that Pete's suspicions certainly seem well founded but I don't expect it to be followed up on since there's no way to prove anything.

And yeah, the pitch to Hershey's was a really moving moment. Hamm is always great but he was even better than normal in the pitch scene and the ones with Megan.

#148 of 171 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 24 2013 - 11:11 AM

That certainly was a great episode.

Pete is definitely going to California.  He too has essentially lost everything.  But, as Trudi tells him, it's sort of a freeing thing for him.  He can definitely start over in California and perhaps the more laid back lifestyle will enable him to loosen up and quit chasing the wrong things.

Don has a different starting over to address.  He has decided to focus on his children.  He has realized that his childhood sentence will not be theirs.  The look he shares with Sally in front of the old whorehouse is heartbreaking.  "I'm going to come clean with you," he's saying, and she shares a look of understanding, regret, appreciation, and respect.  Perhaps she won't continue down the road to ruin.  Next season will tell us.

I have NO idea what's going to happen with Don.  Apparently, neither does Weiner.  In interviews, he simply talks about how he likes to blow it up at the end of the season and challenge himself.  I honestly don't know how the show works if Don is not at SC&P.  Could the final season be split?  Pete and Ted in California, SC&P, and Don on his own?  I think it becomes too fragmented at that point.  We'll have to see.

Some people think Don will follow Megan to California, but I don't.  He doesn't love her anymore and he wants to be near his kids.  He won't go there without them.  I honestly think Megan is done.  I see nothing left to do with her character and she was sort of wasted this year as well.  Too bad - she showed a lot of promise last season.

Honestly, I think you could drop Pete and Ted too.  They've served their purpose.  But, I doubt the show will do that.

Bob Benson?  I know the actor is on another show now...so we'll only see limited bits from him at most.

I thought Joan got shortchanged this year.  Weiner says she DID get Avon and thought that was well communicated.  Not.  I'm also curious why she would vote against Don...even with his problems...before talking to him.

And, what does Peggy do now?  She was enjoying the corner office at the end but she will never get that.  It's still 1968 and she's still a woman.

Overall, the season felt poor to me until this episode...but, this episode was SO good it lifts the season as a whole.  It really showed us why a lot of things happened the way they did.

One more season to go!

#149 of 171 OFFLINE   Phil Kim

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 12:21 PM

Some people think Don will follow Megan to California, but I don't.  He doesn't love her anymore and he wants to be near his kids.  He won't go there without them.  I honestly think Megan is done.  I see nothing left to do with her character and she was sort of wasted this year as well.  Too bad - she showed a lot of promise last season.

I would love to see Don reboot his life as Richard Whitman, free of Sterling Cooper & Partners and Megan. But as previous seasons demonstrated, I suspect he will eventually regress and I really don't want to see that repetition in final season.

Matthew Weiner has really given me a lot to think about.

#150 of 171 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 650 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 05:11 PM

I think Don has become Freddy Rumsen.  I just hope that he can rehabilitate himself like Freddy did.

Was Duck bringing in a replacement for Don???

Amazing look on Don and Sally's face at the end.

Can't believe that there will only be 13 more episodes.  What a truly amazing show.  Has it all: writing, direction, acting, production values...  Where is Jon Hamm's emmy???

Doug

a:5:{s:9:"signature

#151 of 171 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 06:15 PM

Was Duck bringing in a replacement for Don???

Since Duck is a recruiter, I'm pretty sure that's the idea.

#152 of 171 OFFLINE   Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted June 24 2013 - 06:46 PM

I would love to see Don reboot his life as Richard Whitman, free of Sterling Cooper & Partners and Megan. But as previous seasons demonstrated, I suspect he will eventually regress and I really don't want to see that repetition in final season.

I agree that it would be great to see Draper "dead" and for Don to reboot as Dick Whitman. It's interesting how even the poster for this season, with a ad-cartoon version of Don encountering himself in the street, was basically addressed in the season finale, and it seems that, for right now anyway, Dick Whitman lives and Don Draper is gone.

In many ways this feels like a series finale. As much as I love the show, I would have been happy if this is how Weiner chose to end the story. There was a significant sense of closure for all of the major players. And I really don't see where the go from here.

I'd like to see Don at peace and with a decent relationship with his kids. We saw the inception of that last night. I don't want to see him in the Draper persona again, undoing any of the real progress he's made. And for the story to remain believable I don't think there's any way he returns to the agency. This was a season of the past repeating itself, only worse, and Don's leave of absence is reminiscent of Freddy's dismissal. And the partners are already interviewing permanent replacements. But I also don't know how Weiner is going to juggle the stories.

Will we see Pete and Ted building an LA office? Will they focus on Don rebuilding his life, but not connected to the agency?

It will certainly be interesting to see where they go from here, but having ended it with the slight hint of hope for Don at rock bottom, but honest with his kids, would have been perfectly satisfying to me.

• Doug Wallen likes this

#153 of 171 OFFLINE   doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts
  • LocationMackenzie, BC, Canada

Posted June 24 2013 - 09:33 PM

Spoiler

It was a pretty awesome season..  The undue attention they paid to the flag posts of the era was unfortunate, but necessary, I suppose.  Good to see January Jones back in form, pun intended.

I think they could have ended things there was well..  But I can't and won't turn my nose up at another season!  I just hope it doesn't go out with a whimper, like some other great shows..

Edited by doug zdanivsky, June 24 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#154 of 171 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,901 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 07:12 AM

I was kind of lukewarm on the finale, and the entire season for that matter.  It had it's ups and downs.

As for the finale, it all seemed too cute and convenient for me with Don realizing how messed up Sally is and with his upbringing and not wanting to put Ted's family through that.  And the ending was weak with Don showing the kids where he grew up and Sally giving him that, "Now I get you daddy and your being a horrible father to me all makes sense now." look.

I'm surprised to hear people actually think Don will all of a sudden change his ways this time.

#155 of 171 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 25 2013 - 09:13 AM

I was kind of lukewarm on the finale, and the entire season for that matter.  It had it's ups and downs.

As for the finale, it all seemed too cute and convenient for me with Don realizing how messed up Sally is and with his upbringing and not wanting to put Ted's family through that.  And the ending was weak with Don showing the kids where he grew up and Sally giving him that, "Now I get you daddy and your being a horrible father to me all makes sense now." look.

I'm surprised to hear people actually think Don will all of a sudden change his ways this time.

I definitely don't trust that Don will all of a sudden change his ways.  And, next season he may be back to being a terrible human.

But, he was changed for the end of this episode.  That WAS a different Don - confessing to Hershey, revealing his secrets, showing himself to his children.  Not your typical Don Draper at all.

Will it last?  I don't know.  But, I think the change itself was a moment to remember and the primary reason a lot of people thought this could have easily been a series finale.  If they go back to 'old Don' next season, I'll be wishing this WAS the series finale.

#156 of 171 OFFLINE   Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted June 25 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think Sally's look was more like "I really have no idea who this guy is" but appreciative that he was willing to share a little bit of himself rather than a blanket forgiveness for his rotten behavior. 

Will Don change? Maybe, maybe not. Chances are he'll revert to his own antics, because one of the things Weiner has driven home for 6 seasons is that fundamental change is difficult, if not impossible. 

Still though, Don did several things in this episode that were out of character, and I think he's tired of living a lie, or running every time somebody catches on. 

He ran from Dick Whitman. He wanted to run with Rachel, but she rebuffed him. He ran from Faye. He was ready to run again, get a fresh start. I saw his decision to let Ted go to California instead wasn't necessary out of charity to Ted, but that Don was finally tired of running. Coupled with the Hershey's pitch, Don is at least willing to own up to who he is, and that is totally new territory for Mad Men. 

#157 of 171 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,049 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 25 2013 - 02:23 PM

That all sounds good, but he can never really be Dick Whitman; I mean, we know that.. he's not going to own up to being Dick Whitman unless he wants to be tried for deserting the military, pretending to be an officer, etc.  So, that's not going to happen.. but he may lead his life differently.

I'm kind of hoping for a turn of tablets in Season 7, where Don comes back.. but reports up to Peggy.. also unlikely, but would be sweet turnabout.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#158 of 171 OFFLINE   doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts
  • LocationMackenzie, BC, Canada

Posted June 25 2013 - 02:47 PM

he's not going to own up to being Dick Whitman

Well, no, there'd be no point to that, obviously..

But owning up to where he came from, and how it's affected him?  Looks like a good start..

#159 of 171 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 19 2013 - 10:08 AM

I thought Joan got shortchanged this year.  Weiner says she DID get Avon and thought that was well communicated.  Not.  I'm also curious why she would vote against Don...even with his problems...before talking to him.

Joan was barely a supporting character this year. . .but you could say that about several other people as well, like Harry.

It's entirely possible that Joan did not vote to oust Don, but was outvoted by the others. I would love to have been a fly on the wall in *that* meeting!

It was quite clear to me from the refusal to set a return date and the arrival of Duck with Don's ostensible replacement that Don's tenure with SC&P is over. It'll be interesting to see where that, along with his budding relationship with his own past, leads him.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#160 of 171 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 12:14 PM

Ugh, the last season will now be spread over two years: http://www.thewrap.c...r-in-two-parts/

AMC has quickly gone down the toilet. A year or two ago, AMC was arguably the best channel on TV and now, the best they can come up is to spread the last season of their quality shows over two years, lots of 'reality' shows and spin-offs (at least the Breaking Bad spin-off will be different from its parent unlike The Walking Dead spin-off which is bound to be the same basic show). And it's not a decision to give the writers a chance to really work on the ending, it's being done so they can basically have two seasons without paying a raise to anyone that works on the show and it'll give them two Blu-ray/DVD sets to sell.

Edited by TravisR, September 17 2013 - 12:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users