What's new

Replacement woofer--4 or 8 ohms? compatibility and sound quality? (1 Viewer)

chesbrougha

Auditioning
Real Name
adam
Speakers: Boston Acoustic A40. The surrounding on the woofer's are rotted out so figured I need to replace them. On the cabinet it says that they are 8 ohm speakers. Here is the replacement woofer available:

Receiver: TX-SR501. The specs say that it is an 8 ohm receiver but I am confused by the following:
3 ohm 160 W/Ch 4 ohm 125 W/Ch 8 ohm 85 W/Ch I read that in order to run a speaker with 4 ohm woofers you need a receiver with a minium impedance of 4ohm. I basically want the best sound from these speakers and would like them to work with this and future receivers that I purchase. My question is should I get the 4 or 8 ohm woofers? What do those receiver specs mean (I am running a cheap polk center, and small mirage rears, basic sub woofer). I read ohms everywhere and have no real concept of what they are or how to optimize the system. Thanks in advance for any insight.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, I should have taken pictures, I just replaced the surrounds on a pair of Infinity Crescendo 3007, and a pair of Optimus X-AV55 and Pro-LX55.

Total cost of all 8 surrounds was $55.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Keep the impedence of the woofer the same as what you are replacing. Since you have an
8 ohm woofer keep your new one at 8 ohms.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Parker Clack said:
Keep the impedence of the woofer the same as what you are replacing. Since you have an
8 ohm woofer keep your new one at 8 ohms.
Technically, it isn't that easy. He would also have to match sensitvity, impedance curve and the response characteristics of the new driver to get an exact match. Match a few of these and he's close. Just picking an 8 ohm driver is a complete guess.

I agree with schan, replacing a surround is cheap, easy and does not change the sound of the original driver.

apvkt

Auditioning
Real Name
lokesh karthi
Hi everybody,
I have a own pc and in recent days the speaker is not working properly and i am in the plan to replace it as soon as possible. Is it possible to buy it from the online shopping website?? Whether the products would reach our place with well safety?? Reply me.
cart.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks