Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Replacement woofer--4 or 8 ohms? compatibility and sound quality?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   chesbrougha

chesbrougha

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 09:14 AM

Speakers: Boston Acoustic A40.  The surrounding on the woofer's are rotted out so figured I need to replace them.  On the cabinet it says that they are 8 ohm speakers.  Here is the replacement woofer available

Receiver: TX-SR501.  The specs say that it is an 8 ohm receiver but I am confused by the following:

3 ohm 160 W/Ch 4 ohm 125 W/Ch 8 ohm 85 W/Ch I read that in order to run a speaker with 4 ohm woofers you need a receiver with a minium impedance of 4ohm.  I basically want the best sound from these speakers and would like them to work with this and future receivers that I purchase.  My question is should I get the 4 or 8 ohm woofers? What do those receiver specs mean (I am running a cheap polk center, and small mirage rears, basic sub woofer).  I read ohms everywhere and have no real concept of what they are or how to optimize the system.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,239 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 06 2013 - 09:57 AM

Why replace the driver entirely when you can buy a "rotted surround kit" for $15?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item334f5c6cb7

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,239 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 06 2013 - 09:59 AM

By the way, I should have taken pictures, I just replaced the surrounds on a pair of Infinity Crescendo 3007, and a pair of Optimus X-AV55 and Pro-LX55.

Total cost of all 8 surrounds was $55.

Edited by schan1269, April 06 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted April 07 2013 - 12:54 AM

Keep the impedence of the woofer the same as what you are replacing. Since you have an

8 ohm woofer keep your new one at 8 ohms. 

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted April 07 2013 - 06:35 PM

Keep the impedence of the woofer the same as what you are replacing. Since you have an

8 ohm woofer keep your new one at 8 ohms. 

Technically, it isn't that easy.  He would also have to match sensitvity, impedance curve and the response characteristics of the new driver to get an exact match.  Match a few of these and he's close.  Just picking an 8 ohm driver is a complete guess.

I agree with schan, replacing a surround is cheap, easy and does not change the sound of the original driver.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   apvkt

apvkt

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 12 2013 - 03:33 AM

Hi everybody,
I have a own pc and in recent days the speaker is not working properly and i am in the plan to replace it as soon as possible. Is it possible to buy it from the online shopping website?? Whether the products would reach our place with well safety?? Reply me.cart.png

Edited by apvkt, April 12 2013 - 03:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users