What's new

Jurassic Park 3D (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I saw this opening day, first show, because i couldn't wait. I saw it at our iMax. I enjoy 3D and I really love dinosaurs, so I was ready for this movie.

I was surprised at how good the 3D is. I think of most 3D movies as having a background, forground, and the occasional in-your-face-ground. :) JP has a background, foreground, and what I call a frontground. It wasn't quite in-your-face, but there was a lot of image that stuck out and stayed there. Two characters would be talking in a two-shot and the closest character would be extending out some.

The 3D provided a lot of depth and the different objects in the picture had their own depth, they did not look like cutouts.

It has been a long time since I saw this on the big screen, so the little screen has come to define this movie for me. There are a lot of closeups in this movie, and had it been shot with iMax in mind, I think there might have fewer. A lot of big heads up their on the screen.

If you like this movie, I recommend seeing it in 3D. If you don't like it, you still won't.

I do have one question for anyone who speaks spanish. Early in the movie when the lawyer Gennaro is meeting the amber miner, as he's floating up to the dock, the boss miner says something to his buddies in spanish. From his facial expression and tone, I know he's saying something smart ass. Anyone know what he's really saying?

There were about 50 people in the theater and the biggest laugh was "woman inherits the earth."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know the 3D Blu-ray is coming out in a few short weeks. I have
it on preorder. Looking forward to seeing it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, this month, I think. I encourage those who like the movie to see it on the BIG screen. Will it ever be on the theaters again?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Love the movie, it's always been a blast.

saw the Imax today and agree with Johnny about the 3D, not WOW 3D but just right.

I actually ahrdly noticed much 3D at all.

There has always been just one thing that has bugged me for 20 years and it
might be the most obvious annoyance and that is the huge falloff over the wall
at the T-rex exhibit.
In one moment the Rex is walking around over there then all of a sudden it's a 100 foot drop.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The first time I watched Jurassic Park I had just graduated High School. I had seen the trailers, but walking in and watching I was floored - absolutely floored by the spectacle that was in front of me. It was one of the few films I watched where I was completely baffled by the technology, and quickly I didn't care about the technology and CGI, I just embraced the storyline.

It was a long time before another film had that kind of effect for me (The Matrix would do it years later). I watched Jurassic Park in Imax 3D today and found the 3D to be pleasing - not at all overwhelming or gimmicky, and frankly a better 3D implementation than I had just viewed in GI Joe earlier this week.

But what makes Jurassic Park great isn't the 3D, it's the awe and wonder of the storyline, the slow rising action, the great characters. While I never latched onto the sequels which always struck me as somewhat mediocre efforts to capitalize on the original, Jurassic Park remains the kind of film that reminds me what it was like to be young and amazed.

It was a great way to spend an afternoon.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just back from a mostly full IMAX screening. 3D was good. They completely removed all grain from the image but managed to keep most of the detail. It was very strange watching a live action Spielberg film with no grain.

The part that always annoyed me (and still does) is when one of the world's foremost experts on dinosaurs has to ask what species he is holding.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wayne_j said:
Just back from a mostly full IMAX screening. 3D was good. They completely removed all grain from the image but managed to keep most of the detail. It was very strange watching a live action Spielberg film with no grain.

The part that always annoyed me (and still does) is when one of the world's foremost experts on dinosaurs has to ask what species he is holding.
I didnt see it like that. He knew and was just verifying his fear/concern.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TonyD said:
There has always been just one thing that has bugged me for 20 years and it
might be the most obvious annoyance and that is the huge falloff over the wall
at the T-rex exhibit.
In one moment the Rex is walking around over there then all of a sudden it's a 100 foot drop.
At first I didn't get what you are saying, but you are right. Lex and Tim's jeep stopped next to where the goat was. No drop off there. I never caught that and your comment is the first time I've heard of anyone noticing it. So, for the most part, they got away with it.
Wayne_j said:
Like Tony said, he knew. You can tell by the way he's asking, he's afraid of the answer.

There's a part that annoys me a little. At the beginning where Grant is laughed at by the volunteers about dinosaurs being descendants of birds. I figure these are volunteers and they are dinosaur enthusiasts. They would already know about the theory, I know I did, going into the movie. However, I remind myself that the writers needed to so some exposition.

BTW, as I was writing this reply I got this little popup notifying me Tony had added a reply and I was able to read it without losing my in-progress reply. Slick.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
TonyD said:
I didnt see it like that. He knew and was just verifying his fear/concern.
This is probably the case.

Jurassic Park always reminds me of Roger Ebert because he spent a lot of his review bashing DTS. I think Roger probably just heard the first thing the theater ever played in DTS and their sound system wasn't properly calibrated for it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Johnny Angell said:
I saw this opening day, first show, because i couldn't wait. I saw it at our iMax. I enjoy 3D and I really love dinosaurs, so I was ready for this movie.

I was surprised at how good the 3D is. I think of most 3D movies as having a background, forground, and the occasional in-your-face-ground. :) JP has a background, foreground, and what I call a frontground. It wasn't quite in-your-face, but there was a lot of image that stuck out and stayed there. Two characters would be talking in a two-shot and the closest character would be extending out some.

The 3D provided a lot of depth and the different objects in the picture had their own depth, they did not look like cutouts.

It has been a long time since I saw this on the big screen, so the little screen has come to define this movie for me. There are a lot of closeups in this movie, and had it been shot with iMax in mind, I think there might have fewer. A lot of big heads up their on the screen.

If you like this movie, I recommend seeing it in 3D. If you don't like it, you still won't.

I do have one question for anyone who speaks spanish. Early in the movie when the lawyer Gennaro is meeting the amber miner, as he's floating up to the dock, the boss miner says something to his buddies in spanish. From his facial expression and tone, I know he's saying something smart ass. Anyone know what he's really saying?

There were about 50 people in the theater and the biggest laugh was "woman inherits the earth."
I saw JP in 3d yesterday in the cinemark xd. its like a mini imax. I must say that I was very impressed with the 3d. its titanic good and even maybe better. it felt like you were in the room or cars or even in the tree with the actors. I agree with your statement about the 3d. I barely had 10 people or so at my screening. I hope fans of "3D" check it out.

Jacob

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Regarding the randomly appearing cliff in the T-Rex paddock scene: the explanation I've always read is that it just wasn't shown/explained well, but the T-Rex pen supposidly has a hill or slope within it, and the point where the Lex/Tim car gets pushed over is above the lower portion, while the T-Rex comes out of the pen on the higher elevation point next to the road. It kinda makes you go "what the hell?" anyways, but over the years it's actually made more and more sense to me, and I totally buy it. :)

I remember the summer of '93 when it came out (I was 7 years old), and my mom refused to let me see it because she overheard someone talking about the "toilet" scene and thought it wasn't appropriate for me. I was REALLY crushed, but a year later she let me watch it on VHS, and I've loved it ever since. It's really one of the best blockbusters ever made; GREAT storytelling, GREAT cast, AMAZING SPX that hold up great even after 20 years. Got a chance to finally see it on the big screen a few years ago, but seeing it last night on IMAX was a totally different experience. The crowd was filled with a whole bunch of 20-somethings, and they all were VERY much into it. It's was fun hearing some of the screams with a crowd not as familar with some of the bigger jump moments as I am. The raptor coming out of the wall behind Laura Dern in particular got the biggest shriek, followed by the horrified squeals of Mr Arnold's "arm". :D It was SO much fun! The 3D was alright, the biggest plus being that my eyes weren't burning afterwards like they usually do. Just still don't see the appeal of 3D, I suppose.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I can also vouch for the 3D experience. It was quite excellent and very seamless, though it might have benefited from a bit less. The shot of the T-rex taking down the Gallimimus was more obscured by the tree trunk than before, which bugged me. And the brief Opening Titles (all fifteen seconds or so) seemed sped up a bit.Other than that, though, it was definitely worth it. And great seeing such a wonderful movie on the big screen again - it's hardly aged at all. :)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Thought I'd chime in with my "what the heck" moment.

What's always seemed improbable to me is when the kids first start moving away from the raptors in the kitchen. The girl is fine, but there's no way the boy should have made it - he's crawling directly across the nearer raptor's line of vision between the counters!

This was quite obvious to me in the VHS/20" CRT days, but somehow looked even more ridiculous on the big screen. Oh well. :huh:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Saw it this morning and had alot of fun. The 3-D conversion wasn't as impressive as Titanic's (probably because there's not as much chance for depth like Titanic has) but it was still the rare example of a nice conversion.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Johnny Angell said:
If I remember correctly, the boss guy is telling the other guy, "I bet this idiot falls when he gets off the boat". Or something to that effect.

gushinojosa

Auditioning
Real Name
Gus
Johnny Angell said:
Translation: "I bet 1,000 pesos that he falls down!"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Saw this today on the closest thing we have to IMAX here in Vermont: Essex Cinemas' appropriately-named "T-Rex" screen (http://www.essexcinemas.com/trextheater.php).

I didn't think the 3D was anything special, but seeing the film itself on a large screen again, with a 21st Century state-of-the-art sound system, was amazing. When the T-Rex roared and stomped around, the whole room shook and I think the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. :D

I thought the FX held up really well for being 20 years old. The only part that really caught my eye as a little "fake" looking were a few shots of the Raptors in the kitchen. Though on the big screen, you could also see Stan Winston's mechanical Rex "shaking" in a few scenes when it was waterlogged from all the rain. But overall, all the CGI and mechanical dinos were still believable.

I've always been really bothered by the multiple continuity mistakes in the T-Rex attack scene. Given that there are crew specifically tasked with "Continuity" in most films' credits, it seems ridiculous. Not to mention, I'd think Spielberg would be a little more observant at this point in his career. Then again, I've always possessed a knack for "attention to detail" so it may bother me more than most. It's served me well in my career, though maybe I missed my calling and should have worked in film continuity. ;) But these seemed very obvious up on the big screen:

[*]As mentioned before, there's a big drop off in the paddock when the Jeep falls where it was completely level ground when the Rex first appears. The Jeeps do not change position. The Rex walks out between the two vehicles after breaking through the fence then, a few minutes later there's a 50-foot drop when the Rex pushes the jeep over the edge at the same spot.
[*]The Jeep door that is sometimes open, sometimes closed. When Gennaro abandons the kids in the vehicle, he leaves the car door open. As the Rex is walking around the vehicles, you can see in the distance from Grant's vehicle that the other Jeep's doors are all closed. Then the door is open again when Tim slams it, drawing the attention of the Rex.
[*]When the Rex breaks through the sunroof the second time, the glass clearly breaks. Yet it is one whole piece again moments later as the Rex continues the attack.
[*]How Grant and Lexi are being so careful to hide around the Jeep as the Rex is attacking the vehicle so it won't see them. Yet, when they climb up on top of the concrete wall to avoid being crushed between the Jeep and the wall, apparently the Rex does not see them though they're jumping around in plain sight. They then have enough time to begin to slowly climb down the wall (into the mysterious chasm that has now appeared in the paddock) without becoming Rex chow.
[/list]
A nitpick about the weather, as well. Given Isla Nublar's location to the west of Costa Rica, it's unlikely that a tropical storm would bear down on the island from the west. Most tropical storms or hurricanes in that area would approach from the south or southeast. It would be a rare storm that looped around and approached directly from the west (though Gennaro's comment makes it seem like a regular occurrence).

But overall, it was still fun to see again on a huge screen. The theater had been showing a series of "Throwback Thursday" retro films last year, and JP was one of them that I wanted to see but missed. Glad I had another opportunity.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Watched it in 2D today. Couldn't tell for sure how good the image quality was because the projector was slightly out of focus (The previews looked exactly the same as the movie). Definitely looked better than the mess that is the Jurassic Park Blu-Ray.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Malcolm R said:
I've always been really bothered by the multiple continuity mistakes in the T-Rex attack scene.
THANK YOU! These have always bothered me as well, as has the "shaking" mechanical Rex. Even on the small screen it's easily visible. But it is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks