What's new

The Fog (Collector's Edition) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
fog.jpeg

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Great, just needed confirmation. Can't say I'm a fan of the remake. :thumbsdown:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bgart13 said:
New HD transfer supervised by Dean Cundey, too!
That's great, the European edition looks like an upconvert to me so it will be great to finally get this in proper HD.

:EDIT: For Typo.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The european release is not an upscale, I saw the film being scanned as I worked with the same tech on another project. It was made from an IP, back in 2000, so it's an early scan, hence the low quality.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I love The Fog, though I can't think of what new special features would be added, the Special Edition from 2002 had a lot on it, so I'm guessing besides a better picture quality nothing new.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
darkrock17 said:
I love The Fog, though I can't think of what new special features would be added, the Special Edition from 2002 had a lot on it, so I'm guessing besides a better picture quality nothing new.
Nothing but a guess based on Shout Factory's other releases but I think they might get some new interviews or maybe even a making-of (and, like you said, the laserdisc/DVD features). Carpenter did a new interview for They Live so they probably got him to talk about The Fog then too. Jamie Lee Curtis made a one time only appearance at a horror movie convention and Shout was there so I imagine they got an interview with her. I'm pretty sure that Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins and maybe even Charles Cyphers were also at conventions that Shout was also at so they seem pretty likely to participate too.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Really looking forward to this. Can't wait to finally upgrade this horror classic to HD.

I know this goes against the grain for Carpenter fans, but this is my favourite of all his films. I absolutely love the creepy, classic horror atmosphere. Totally unmatched in sinister, foreboding terror!

Shout Factory really has become the new Blue Underground....

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
TravisR said:
Nothing but a guess based on Shout Factory's other releases but I think they might get some new interviews or maybe even a making-of (and, like you said, the laserdisc/DVD features). Carpenter did a new interview for They Live so they probably got him to talk about The Fog then too. Jamie Lee Curtis made a one time only appearance at a horror movie convention and Shout was there so I imagine they got an interview with her. I'm pretty sure that Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins and maybe even Charles Cyphers were also at conventions that Shout was also at so they seem pretty likely to participate too.
I thought Jamie Lee Curtis has been at Halloween conventions before?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Awesome news. My favorite Carpenter film. I can finally delete the hdnet HD broadcast from my dvr.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
darkrock17 said:
I thought Jamie Lee Curtis has been at Halloween conventions before?
I can't say for sure but she wrote a brief piece in the current issue of Horror Hound magazine (who set up the convention) and she said how that this would be her one and only appearance. As an aside, she was there for charity and together they raised almost $200,000 for a children's hospital in Los Angeles.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HDvision said:
The european release is not an upscale, I saw the film being scanned as I worked with the same tech on another project. It was made from an IP, back in 2000, so it's an early scan, hence the low quality.
Might as well be an upscale, no additional details whatsoever and awful edge enhancement, apart from increasing contrast the release looks like the DVD version, now usually when people make such claims it is hyperbole and untrue, usually a BD, even a bad BD beats the DVD for image quality, not so with The Fog, it truly is that bad.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I have not seen that BD, but I have seen the tech doing the transfer, he rolled the first reel to me and director Christophe Gans, it was magnificent on the small screen at the time. Perhaps they used the SD reduction on the Blu (ie the Digital Beta)?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HDvision said:
I have not seen that BD, but I have seen the tech doing the transfer, he rolled the first reel to me and director Christophe Gans, it was magnificent on the small screen at the time. Perhaps they used the SD reduction on the Blu (ie the Digital Beta)?
Who knows, at least we are finally going to get a modern scan and this release should look very good and by that i mean as good as the filmed materials allow it to look, i must add i have never been into the eye candy way of looking at releases, if its ugly but looks as intended then i take it.

Incidentally i do not know if you are a hater of screencaps, some are, i am not, this site gives you an idea about the old Blu ray edition of The Fog.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cID=667#auswahl

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The HDnet broadcast looked great in hd. Vast improvement over the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks