Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Fog (Collector's Edition) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Shout Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,625 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 04:32 AM

fog.jpeg

• Mark Walker likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 43 OFFLINE   Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted April 05 2013 - 05:06 AM

Great news! One of my favorites, along with the original Halloween.

#3 of 43 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,600 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 05:38 AM

This is the original one, right?

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#4 of 43 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,625 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 05:41 AM

Yes, per the poster and per the cast member's name on the Amazon preorder link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 43 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,345 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 05 2013 - 05:41 AM

Yep. I'm looking forward to it.

EDIT: Ron beat me to it by a matter of seconds. :)

Edited by TravisR, April 05 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#6 of 43 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,600 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 07:07 AM

Great, just needed confirmation.  Can't say I'm a fan of the remake.  :thumbsdown:

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#7 of 43 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 08:38 AM

New HD transfer supervised by Dean Cundey, too!

#8 of 43 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 05 2013 - 08:47 AM

New HD transfer supervised by Dean Cundey, too!

That's great, the European edition looks like an upconvert to me so it will be great to finally get this in proper HD.

:EDIT: For Typo.

Edited by FoxyMulder, April 05 2013 - 08:48 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 of 43 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 05 2013 - 09:56 AM

Looking forward to this one.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 43 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted April 05 2013 - 11:54 AM

The european release is not an upscale, I saw the film being scanned as I worked with the same tech on another project. It was made from an IP, back in 2000, so it's an early scan, hence the low quality.

#11 of 43 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted April 05 2013 - 12:06 PM

I love The Fog, though I can't think of what new special features would be added, the Special Edition from 2002 had a lot on it, so I'm guessing besides a better picture quality nothing new.

#12 of 43 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,345 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 02:31 PM

I love The Fog, though I can't think of what new special features would be added, the Special Edition from 2002 had a lot on it, so I'm guessing besides a better picture quality nothing new.

Nothing but a guess based on Shout Factory's other releases but I think they might get some new interviews or maybe even a making-of (and, like you said, the laserdisc/DVD features). Carpenter did a new interview for They Live so they probably got him to talk about The Fog then too. Jamie Lee Curtis made a one time only appearance at a horror movie convention and Shout was there so I imagine they got an interview with her. I'm pretty sure that Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins and maybe even Charles Cyphers were also at conventions that Shout was also at so they seem pretty likely to participate too.

#13 of 43 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 472 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 05 2013 - 03:28 PM

Really looking forward to this. Can't wait to finally upgrade this horror classic to HD.

I know this goes against the grain for Carpenter fans, but this is my favourite of all his films. I absolutely love the creepy, classic horror atmosphere. Totally unmatched in sinister, foreboding terror!

Shout Factory really has become the new Blue Underground....

Edited by Will*B, April 06 2013 - 02:58 AM.

• Bryan^H likes this

#14 of 43 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted April 05 2013 - 04:20 PM

Nothing but a guess based on Shout Factory's other releases but I think they might get some new interviews or maybe even a making-of (and, like you said, the laserdisc/DVD features). Carpenter did a new interview for They Live so they probably got him to talk about The Fog then too. Jamie Lee Curtis made a one time only appearance at a horror movie convention and Shout was there so I imagine they got an interview with her. I'm pretty sure that Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins and maybe even Charles Cyphers were also at conventions that Shout was also at so they seem pretty likely to participate too.

I thought Jamie Lee Curtis has been at Halloween conventions before?

#15 of 43 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,644 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 05 2013 - 05:20 PM

Awesome news. My favorite Carpenter film. I can finally delete the hdnet HD broadcast from my dvr.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#16 of 43 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,345 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 06:37 PM

I thought Jamie Lee Curtis has been at Halloween conventions before?

I can't say for sure but she wrote a brief piece in the current issue of Horror Hound magazine (who set up the convention) and she said how that this would be her one and only appearance. As an aside, she was there for charity and together they raised almost $200,000 for a children's hospital in Los Angeles.

#17 of 43 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 06 2013 - 08:19 AM

The european release is not an upscale, I saw the film being scanned as I worked with the same tech on another project. It was made from an IP, back in 2000, so it's an early scan, hence the low quality.

Might as well be an upscale, no additional details whatsoever and awful edge enhancement, apart from increasing contrast the release looks like the DVD version, now usually when people make such claims it is hyperbole and untrue, usually a BD, even a bad BD beats the DVD for image quality, not so with The Fog, it truly is that bad.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#18 of 43 OFFLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted April 06 2013 - 09:13 AM

I have not seen that BD, but I have seen the tech doing the transfer, he rolled the first reel to me and director Christophe Gans, it was magnificent on the small screen at the time. Perhaps they used the SD reduction on the Blu (ie the Digital Beta)?

#19 of 43 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 06 2013 - 10:57 AM

I have not seen that BD, but I have seen the tech doing the transfer, he rolled the first reel to me and director Christophe Gans, it was magnificent on the small screen at the time. Perhaps they used the SD reduction on the Blu (ie the Digital Beta)?

Who knows, at least we are finally going to get a modern scan and this release should look very good and by that i mean as good as the filmed materials allow it to look, i must add i have never been into the eye candy way of looking at releases, if its ugly but looks as intended then i take it.

Incidentally i do not know if you are a hater of screencaps, some are, i am not, this site gives you an idea about the old Blu ray edition of The Fog.

http://caps-a-holic....cID=667#auswahl

Edited by FoxyMulder, April 06 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#20 of 43 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,644 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 06 2013 - 12:49 PM

The HDnet broadcast looked great in hd. Vast improvement over the DVD.

Edited by Tino, April 06 2013 - 12:49 PM.

It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users