What's new

RIP Roger Ebert :( (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Sad... It was Siskel and Ebert and their old show that influenced me thinking of movies as more than just "entertainment".

Movies could be about more.... they can give us something to think about.

RIP

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One of my all time favorite movie going experiences was seeing Apocalypse Now at the CineramaDome in Hollywood and sitting one row in front of Roger Ebert. I think he was on a date with his soon to be wife, and I loved hearing the occasional comment he would make regarding the film.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Here in the UK, we only knew Mr Ebert from his written work and of course in more recent times his DVD commentaries. I think he was far and away the best film critic the USA has produced. A sad sad loss.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
His "The Great Movies" series of books are really good and are among the best film books that I have ever bought. I wish I had bought the first book when it was available in hardback.

While I often disagree with his opinions on current movies, his writing was so clear that I could usually tell whether I would like a film based on his reviews regardless of his opinion.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Very sad news. Years ago he had a forum on Compuserve and he was very accessible to his readers. He even mentioned me in print once, in his review of Cop Land. RIP, Roger. You deserve peace after what you had to endure in recent years.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Your final line says it all, Richard. Roger deserve's peace.

To me, Roger was the greatest entertainment writer of the generation. More than just a "film critic." His words were always on target, honest, succinct, and entertaining. If a film was garbage, he didn't hold back. If it was great, you could feel his absolute personal pleasure in his words.

And then there were Ebert's Rules of Film.

I first met Roger in 1979. Later, he and Gene joined us at our openings of Napoleon in NY and Chicago. They were in place for our Lawrence opening in LA. He had an absolute love of film and filmmakers, and was always as a fan. Never above it.

One thing that I'll always remember. Just because it was absolutely charming and unaffected. When he saw me chatting with Gregory Peck at the Lawrence after-party, he came over, pulled on my suit jacket, and whispered in my ear... "Introduce me..." I did.

My heart goes out to Roger's extraordinary wife Chaz, and to his family. We'll miss you Roger.

There is no replacement.

RAH

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
"Siskel & Ebert"/"At the Movies" was must-see TV on WTTW, later syndication. Even if I had no interest in the movies being reviewed I watched as they were just entertaining to watch interact. A sad day, indeed.

Ruly2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
He and his reviews will be greatly missed! my heart goes out to his family and friends. I always looked to reading his reviews every Friday. He was one of the best there was. Today is a sad day :( :( :( :( :(
"So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies."
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;]- Roger Ebert,"A Leave of Presence".[/color]

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
A great loss to the world of film criticism and appreciation. Far too often, today's "critics" are simply misanthropic elitists who have an all too narrow view of what constitutes a good film.

RIP Roger.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Roger Ebert (and Gene Siskel) did a lot to enhance my enjoyment of film, and they both educated me to some extent with regard to the genre.

Thankfully, I own A Kiss Is Still a Kiss -- a very enjoyable read indeed. Mr. Ebert will be missed.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My niece has always thought I was a genius at selecting films for her when she was little. She gives me all the credit for discovering gems like My Neighbor Totoro. Just want to come clean on that now that Rog is gone. Thank you sir for the fun words about movies. I didn't always agree, but I always saw where you were coming from (well, mostly... those tripods were awesome in Spiel's War of the Worlds, I don't know what you were talkin bout!!!!)

RIP sir. Sorry that horrible stuff got you. :(

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Siskel and Ebert At The Movies was one of the few shows done by critics that I would watch for their opinion as it usually went with what I thought too. I loved the banter between the two of them.

I remember Ebert of CompuServe too and like Richard said he would always write you back if you sent him an email regarding his take on a movie or any other subject. He wasn't as much a critic of the movies as he was a fan that had an educated opinion and was a terrific author.

When he got sick and with all the surguries he had to endure I am thankful that he could go peacefully at home and his long suffuring had ended. No one should have to go through what he did and he did so with courage and grace.

RIP Mr. Ebert. You will be miss.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I agree with all of the above comments. I "met" Roger from the old CompuServe days, and even got him to mention me in his booklet "EBERT'S LITTLE MOVIE GLOSSARY". It was funny to me (he later apologized to me for it) that he credited me as Raul Marquez, Maryland because I signed my comments to him as Raul Marquez, MD.

He set the bar by which all films critics should be measured. His 3 volumes on "THE GREAT MOVIES I, II and III" should be required reading for all movie fans.

Raul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks