Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Spirit of St. Louis 1957 Jimmy Stewart film

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 07:06 AM

I happen to catch the last 10 minutes of this film on PBS last weekend. I had not seen it since the late 70's or early 80's on TV.

I always liked this movie, despite that biopics sometimes get a bad rep. PT-109 and The Great Escape are always favorites of real life events, so I would include this movie among them.

I see that there is a 2006 DVD only so far. I'm going to assume because this movie did poorly upon initial release, it's not going to get a blu ray release? The video I saw on the PBS broadcast looked pretty good. Anyone have any thoughts on the DVD or other info? I'd like to try to get a copy before its no longer available. Thanks!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,112 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted April 04 2013 - 07:45 AM

I have heard nothing about a possible Blu-ray release, but who knows? In the meantime, I just checked and the DVD is currently available at Amazon for $4.99, so at that price you won't regret the purchase if comes out on Blu-ray some day.

Rich Gallagher

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 07:52 AM

I'd think there is a chance for a Blu-Ray release, especially if a studio includes this title in a larger collection (box set) of Billy Wilder films.

#4 of 5 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,542 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hey thanks guys!

A Billy Wilder collection makes sense.

And I agree, at $5.00 at Amazon, that's a deal.

I guess I was used to the old forum software that automatically made you a subscriber to the thread if you post on it, so I didn't see your replies till now.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,112 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted April 05 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hey thanks guys!

A Billy Wilder collection makes sense.

And I agree, at $5.00 at Amazon, that's a deal.

I guess I was used to the old forum software that automatically made you a subscriber to the thread if you post on it, so I didn't see your replies till now.

The DVD comes with some extras which might not make it to a Blu-ray set, including a Joe McDoakes comedy short and the Speedy Gonzales cartoon Tabasco Road. It also has the theatrical trailer and footage of the film's premiere. A nice package for a price you'd expect to pay at Big Lots.

Rich Gallagher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users