Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Game of Thrones Season 4 (news and episodes discussion)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#21 of 293 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted July 09 2013 - 06:17 AM

I was able to attend a Q and A with Peter Dinklage a few days ago. Didn't reveal anything except he starts back this week, but also because he mentioned he hasn't read the books either apart from the first one so he only knows what's going to happen from the scripts.

He also mentioned that the film out of sequence for the whole season so he could be doing something from Episode 6 before going back to something from 1, 2 or 3. Makes sense though I assumed before they filmed each episode before moving on to the next.

Regards Tyrion as the best role he has ever had. Lena Headey and Jason Momoa were also there but I missed their presentation.

#22 of 293 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 11 2013 - 07:50 PM

My thinking about the article was the same as the first comment -- it would make more sense for that ep to be the penultimate ep of season 4 rather than the finale. They've done a great job of putting big events in ep 9 (execution of Ned, Blackwater, Red Wedding) and leaving the finale to clean up the pieces and set up the ensuing season. I thought Blackwater was shot very well, so I like the choice to bring him back.

And now Variety is indeed reporting that Marshall will be directing the ninth episode of Season Four, not the tenth.

#23 of 293 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 16 2013 - 02:44 PM

Entertainment Weekly has the full list of directors for Season 4:

Episode 1: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
Episodes 2: Alex Graves
Episodes 3: Alex Graves
Episodes 4: Michelle MacLaren
Episodes 5: Michelle MacLaren
Episodes 6: Alik Sakharov
Episodes 7: Alik Sakharov
Episodes 8: Alex Graves
Episodes 9: Neil Marshall
Episodes 10: Alex Graves

No Season 1 directors this year. Alik Sakharov was the cinematographer for four episodes in the first season, before moving up to director with the third episode of the second season. Alex Graves ("The West Wing", "Journeyman", "Terra Nova")'s first episode was the fourth hour of the third season. Michelle MacLaren ("Breaking Bad", "The Walking Dead")'s first episode was the "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" late in the third season. Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent) of course directed the absolutely epic "Blackwater".

I was hoping Alan Taylor would be back this season, but apparently he's still tied up with post-production on Thor: The Dark World.

Edited by Adam Lenhardt, July 16 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#24 of 293 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 17 2013 - 06:21 AM

I just saw Rex's awesome post.  Rex, I think you have sleuthed out a lot of interesting parallels, many (but not all!) I was aware of, but it's just that, influences and not reality.  And remember the TV show is an interpretation (!!!!) of other source material and the second attempt at it at that.  If Tolkien wasn't so set against his stories being non-allegorical despite the geo politics of his age and the war he himself took part in one might be (and many have!) be tempted to claim that his stories were similarly patterned.

Here's the thing tho: a smidge of familiarity goes a long way.  It helps you identify with characters and choose favorites.  You bring your own set of biases in based on your world view and then the author is free to mess you up by turning the tables around with the ways things aren't the same.

I can think of no better example of this than of (only semi spoiler)

Spoiler
  The TV show hasn't really made this leap yet the way the books did for me, but you can see it coming.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#25 of 293 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted July 17 2013 - 06:53 PM

If Tolkien wasn't so set against his stories being non-allegorical despite the geo politics of his age and the war he himself took part in one might be (and many have!) be tempted to claim that his stories were similarly patterned.

Tolkien has clarified a few times (most famously in an interview included in the LOTR extended edition DVDs and BDs) that his "not an allegory" statement meant that there wasn't a 1:1 equivalence.  In no way was he dismissing the fact that his work was clearly influenced by various sources.  Therefore, I would say Tolkien is a fair comparison (allowing, of course, for the Tolkien-only aspects like philology, which certainly drove most of his work).

With regard to your spoiler, Sam, as I've written a few times in these threads, Jaime is my favourite character.  I think one reason he isn't as developed as he is in the books is the show's relative inability to reproduce the inner dialogue in a satisfying way.  While it's true he has a lot of interesting scenes with Brienne, much of his character is revealed in those quiet moments where he's thinking to himself--the entire scene with the White Book is a prime example (not a spoiler, don't worry).

Edited by Josh Dial, July 17 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#26 of 293 OFFLINE   Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

• 1,527 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 04:36 AM

Josh -

I think Jaime has gotten pretty fair treatment in the series v. the books. Yes, we are missing the inner dialogue, but I think the effect is similar to that of other characters. The White Book scene is a particularly good scene that wouldn't translate well onto the screen and a good example of where his tv character got shortchanged, but the same could be said for Tyrion and Cersei. Both are portrayed accurately on the screen, but the depth of their pain of betrayal (Tyrion) and egomania (Cersei) don't hit as purely as they do in the books. The two scenes that come to mind that show the true nature of Jaime (note: not growth) are his account of how he killed King Aerys and became the "Kingslayer" and when he went back to save Brienne.

Another example where his character is not as well developed as in the books is

Spoiler

#27 of 293 OFFLINE   Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 1,894 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted July 19 2013 - 04:41 AM

I just have to say that I think Cersei has been "completely off the rails " since at least her arrival at Winterfell.  

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#28 of 293 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 05:38 AM

Her motivations arent nearly as well fleshed (heh) out as they are in the book either.

#29 of 293 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted July 19 2013 - 03:11 PM

Her motivations arent nearly as well fleshed (heh) out as they are in the book either.

In the show's defence, a large part of those motivations aren't revealed until Book 4 anyway, specifically:

Spoiler

#30 of 293 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 08:46 AM

Via King Joffrey on the twitters, every death in Game Of Thrones:
BZYMD0ZIEAEYCHl.jpg
  • Simon Massey likes this

#31 of 293 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 09 2014 - 07:31 PM

15-Minute Preview of Season 4:

#32 of 293 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 17 2014 - 10:44 AM

Season 4 Trailer #2 - Vengeance:

#33 of 293 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 25 2014 - 03:38 PM

New Season 4 Character Posters:
got-s04-char-posters-01.jpg
Clockwise from top-left: Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke), Tyrion Lannister (Tyrion Lannister),
Arya Stark (Maisie Williams), Oberyn Martell (Pedro Pascal)

got-s04-char-posters-02.jpg
Clockwise from top-left: Jon Snow (Kit Harington), Ygritte (Rose Leslie),
Tywin Lannister (Charles Dance), Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner)

got-s04-char-posters-03.jpg
Clockwise from top-left: Margaery Tyrell (Natalie Dormer), Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau),
Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey), Joffrey Baratheon (Jack Gleeson)

Edited by Adam Lenhardt, February 25 2014 - 03:38 PM.

• Sam Posten likes this

#34 of 293 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted February 26 2014 - 08:23 AM

Finally finished Book 3 and started A Feast of Crows, which means judging by the trailer, I'm now ahead in the books for the first time. Not sure how I feel about this since the Red Wedding took me completely by surprise in the show and now I know what is coming - well this season anyway. But it is a fantastic book and this season should surpass Season 3 just in terms of forward momentum of the story.

#35 of 293 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 26 2014 - 04:36 PM

Episode breakdown (this post will be updated with episode titles at a later date):

Episode Title                      Directed by       Written by
4x01    Two Swords                 D. B. Weiss       David Benioff & D.B.Weiss
4x02    The Lion and the Rose      Alex Graves       George R. R. Martin
4x03    Breaker of Chains          Alex Graves       David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
4x04    Oathkeeper                 Michelle MacLaren Bryan Cogman
4x05    First of His Name          Michelle MacLaren David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
4x06    The Laws of Gods and Men   Alik Sakharov     Bryan Cogman
4x07    Mockingbird                Alik Sakharov     David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
4x08    The Mountain and the Viper Alex Graves       David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
4x09    The Watchers on the Wall   Neil Marshall     David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
4x10    The Children               Alex Graves       David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

Edited by Adam Lenhardt, April 14 2014 - 02:41 PM.

• Sam Posten likes this

#36 of 293 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 04:41 PM

I case you missed it they replaced Daario this season. The new guy looks MUCH more like he is described in the books.

http://www.slashfilm...daario-naharis/

Michiel played Sonny, a troubled musician on Treme, he was awesome in that, reminded me a LOT of a young Steve Jobs.

#37 of 293 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 10:02 AM

SUNDAY!  As Gogol Bordello says:  Start wearing purple!

http://insidetv.ew.c...nners-season-4/

#38 of 293 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,944 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 10:19 AM

Just finished re-watching season 3 on blu-ray last night, so I'm eager to get started. I'm still kind of amazed at the attention this show is getting after its debut in 2010 when it was very questionable whether it would last. Sometimes, I guess, talent is rewarded and a show gets the recognition it deserves.

#39 of 293 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 04 2014 - 01:44 PM

Michiel played Sonny, a troubled musician on Treme, he was awesome in that, reminded me a LOT of a young Steve Jobs.

He also played a record producer on "Nashville".

#40 of 293 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 04 2014 - 08:27 PM

You know a new season is almost upon us when the New York Times posts its negative review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users