• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#61 of 130 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,660 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:48 AM

So a white nuclear sky is one gigantic cloud?

I admit I am late to the party but I would like to check out some of those nuclear skies (and I assume the Hudson, too).
Do you have a timecode for me?

Edited by OliverK, April 06 2013 - 07:49 AM.

• noel aguirre likes this

#62 of 130 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:52 AM

Great disc and great review. I agree with Matt's opinions on the casting. I have nothing against Michael Crawford, but I have seen many stage productions of Dolly and my favorite portrayals of Cornelius are the ones where he is a handsome and sexy guy who is so naive he doesn't know that he is sexy. In other words, naive instead of goofy. I truly love this movie and have, in fact, watched it twice already, but you do have to just kind of suspend disbelief when it comes to the relationships of Dolly/Vandergelder and Irene/Cornelius.

I think Anthony Perkins captured exactly what you are talking about in the film of The Matchmaker (the play that Dolly is based on). The Matchmaker is a good film, too. Shirley Booth, Shirley MacLaine and Paul Ford. It was in BW VistaVision. I am sure it would make a nice blu-ray.

• Rob_Ray likes this

#63 of 130 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 06 2013 - 01:25 PM

I think Anthony Perkins captured exactly what you are talking about in the film of The Matchmaker (the play that Dolly is based on). The Matchmaker is a good film, too. Shirley Booth, Shirley MacLaine and Paul Ford. It was in BW VistaVision. I am sure it would make a nice blu-ray.

Yes, as much as I like Hello Dolly! for it's lavish production, as eye and ear candy, and as wonderful musical entertainment, The Matchmaker's gentle humor, cozy atmosphere and ideal casting make it the definitive telling of the story for me.  Everyone is perfectly cast.  My only complaint with The Matchmaker is that Minnie Faye's character is underwritten and given to a middle-aged actress who isn't romantically paired with Robert Morse's Barnaby.  At the end, when everyone gets a moment to break the fourth wall and speak to the audience, poor Minnie just watches while everyone else gets to offer up a moral to the story.

Still, being a VistaVision production, I would love to get this on BluRay.

#64 of 130 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted April 06 2013 - 02:06 PM

I have to agree that The Matchmaker has a certain charm. The casting is perfect and it hews closer to the simple story without the overblown trappings of the musical (which I enjoy, BTW). And lest we forget, Shirley Booth and Shirley MacLaine were both Broadway musical veterans at the time; and Anthony Perkins and Robert Morse would soon be cast in musicals.

OK, Booth was no Streisand, but neither was Channing.

Anyway, this is all fantasy. By the time Hello, Dolly! came out, all of these actors were too old, though Streisand was too young.

This is where suspension of disbelief kicks in. 

Edited by bujaki, April 06 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#65 of 130 OFFLINE   jseabough

jseabough

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 03:30 PM

Got my DOLLY blu ray today at the same time that I received Mr. Kimmel's  marvelous, first time ever  CD release of A TIME FOR SINGING, the musical based on "How Green Was My Valley."

As to the former, the skies are blue - no white in sight, and, as  for the latter, THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU Bruce for this and the other wonderful cast recordings/soundtracks you have issued. I thank you and I know my friend Music Theatre of Wichita  producing artistic director Wayne Bryan thanks you as well!  :)

#66 of 130 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,294 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 06 2013 - 03:38 PM

I admit I am late to the party but I would like to check out some of those nuclear skies (and I assume the Hudson, too).

He's not going to give you anything.  This is a person who won't even LOOK at the exterior of Vendergelder's shop, where the sky is bright, bright BLUE.  He says there's no blue at all in the transfer.  And after the last page of posts, I presume he's left the room.  

#67 of 130 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,294 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 06 2013 - 03:39 PM

Got my DOLLY blu ray today at the same time that I received Mr. Kimmel's  marvelous, first time ever  CD release of A TIME FOR SINGING, the musical based on "How Green Was My Valley."

As to the former, the skies are blue - no white in sight, and, as  for the latter, THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU Bruce for this and the other wonderful cast recordings/soundtracks you have issued. I thank you and I know my friend Music Theatre of Wichita  producing artistic director Wayne Bryan thanks you as well!  :)

That is lovely of you to post.  

#68 of 130 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted April 06 2013 - 05:51 PM

I have the old LP of A Time for Singing, but ordered the CD as soon as I read this post!

#69 of 130 OFFLINE   KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 299 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted April 06 2013 - 06:00 PM

I have the old LP of A Time for Singing, but ordered the CD as soon as I read this post!

Me, too! So glad I checked back on this thread!

#70 of 130 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 430 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 02:59 AM

Now how about Star!? Like to see Fox get that 70mm film out on Blu or give it to TT.

I understand Michael Crawford has given the came away and retired to my country where he had been a frequent visitor and signed copies of a book at a large shopping center around the corner from my house. I wasn't available that day or I would have gone to see him. We had a mutual friend, who has passed, and besides being a silent film fanatic was a crystal ball reader/medium of which connection Crawford knew him.

#71 of 130 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 386 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted April 07 2013 - 08:17 AM

I have to agree that The Matchmaker has a certain charm. The casting is perfect and it hews closer to the simple story without the overblown trappings of the musical (which I enjoy, BTW). And lest we forget, Shirley Booth and Shirley MacLaine were both Broadway musical veterans at the time; and Anthony Perkins and Robert Morse would soon be cast in musicals.

OK, Booth was no Streisand, but neither was Channing.

Anyway, this is all fantasy. By the time Hello, Dolly! came out, all of these actors were too old, though Streisand was too young.

This is where suspension of disbelief kicks in. 

It's also called acting! This and" Barefoot in the Park" are my sick day stand bys. I saw the RoadShow three weeks in a row.

• Virgoan likes this
Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#72 of 130 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted April 07 2013 - 08:27 AM

Everett,

I meant this as a compliment. All good acting entails a suspension of disbelief. That's why Streisand succeeds against all odds. She brings all her talent to the character and makes us believe in her Dolly.

#73 of 130 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 386 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted April 07 2013 - 10:17 AM

Everett,

I meant this as a compliment. All good acting entails a suspension of disbelief. That's why Streisand succeeds against all odds. She brings all her talent to the character and makes us believe in her Dolly.

I was agreeing with you.

• bujaki likes this
Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#74 of 130 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 05:14 PM

See 16:25, 25:56 (no rain- the sun is out- yet the sky and the Hudson are a bloomin' arse white. 

And the worse offender is at 2:24:45 all the mens suits look exactly the same washed out whitish color.

#75 of 130 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 05:17 PM

He's not going to give you anything.  This is a person who won't even LOOK at the exterior of Vendergelder's shop, where the sky is bright, bright BLUE.  He says there's no blue at all in the transfer.  And after the last page of posts, I presume he's left the room.  

Please stop with your posts that refuse to acknowledge mine and others on here stating the the whites are overdone. 

There is no blu in the scenes we have referred to - Not the entire picture. Geesh!

End of story. 

Edited by noel aguirre, April 07 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#76 of 130 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,744 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 07 2013 - 08:02 PM

See 16:25, 25:56 (no rain- the sun is out- yet the sky and the Hudson are a bloomin' arse white. 
And the worse offender is at 2:24:45 all the mens suits look exactly the same washed out whitish color.

I went to those three time marks. The sky is overcast as mentioned on the short about Gene Kelly. The reason I call it overcast is you can see a mist on the river and in the far background. You can also see the blue of Barnaby Tucker's work apron along with other blues in both shots.

What I don't understand is your comment about the men's suits. They are various shades of grey, white and beige. It appeared to me that each man wore a different shade. I only saw one white suite and it did not bloom out.

Not trying to be snarky, but i was giving you the benifit of doubt until I went to the 2.25 mark and saw different shades of color on the suits. None were blooming white. Perhaps your monitor needs adjusting. Just a thought.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I find the transfer almost near perfect and very enjoyable.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#77 of 130 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 07 2013 - 08:14 PM

I compared 16:25 with the DVD and the bluray has stronger color, with whiter whites, better flesh tones and generally more color everywhere.  The skies and river that are "bloomin' arse white" on the bluray are dull dishwater grey-white on the DVD.  That's just the weather they had to contend with on location.  The bluray's color is quite impressive.  I wouldn't want to change anything.

#78 of 130 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 386 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted April 08 2013 - 11:14 AM

I am very surprised at all the talk on this.Anyway it looks and sounds great! Hint for owners of Panasonic players, try the video settings set to aniamation,it really helps with the blacks, & contrast.

#79 of 130 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,429 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm generally pleased with the disc, but I also think the contrast is a little too bright in some shots for my taste - just a slight bit. Sometimes skin tones appear too white. Of course the color is still there and the skies are blue when they're not cloudy. The detail and color is much improved.

There is nothing wrong wit the print - it's great.

This whole blue/sky white/sky discuss is ludicrous  - I think we all know the poster is saying the contrast is too bright, and in some instances he may be correct.  I saw the film in 70MM twice in the last 10 years and do not remember thinking the whites were too bright, but I did feel the contrast was a little too strong in this transfer (just a hair) even after I adjusted it (on two different large screen TV sets) and only in some shots 

Edited by GMpasqua, April 08 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#80 of 130 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted April 08 2013 - 07:41 PM

The color of the Blu-ray is very much Deluxe 70mm printing at its best.  Strong colors when needed, rich pastels, delicate shading. 

This is a very different look from dye-transfer Technicolor (which we all love I am sure).  So many Fox films of the 50's and 60's really looked beautiful in their own way.

Color by Deluxe was, of course, fleeting.  We are fortunate to have one here looking like it did originally for once.

Edited by rsmithjr, April 08 2013 - 07:43 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews, Blu-ray, Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users