What's new

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases July-August 2013 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
phil.jpeg
leave.jpeg
hard.jpeg
driver.jpeg
only.jpeg
sleep.jpeg
loveis.jpeg
body.jpeg
sexy.jpeg
disa.jpeg

PHILADELPHIA (1993) BLU-RAY - May 14th
LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945) BLU-RAY - May 14th
HARD TIMES (1975) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - June 11th
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970) BLU-RAY - June 11th
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (1993) BLU-RAY - July 9th
LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955) BLU-RAY - July 9th
BODY DOUBLE (1984) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
SEXY BEAST (2000) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Sexy Beast is the one that interests me, but I already have it.

Twice.

UK HD DVD and UK Blu-ray Disc. One is 16:9 the other 2.35:1. It was shot in Super 35, so you'd expect it to be good in 2.35:1 and lots of dead space in 16:9, but it appears fine in 16:9 and a little tight in 2.35:1.

But the UK releases are both 1080i, so I'm looking forward to a 'proper' version.

Superb film - an absolute favourite.

Steve W

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Oh dear. This is going to be expensive!

I didn't see Love Is A Many Splendored Thing coming. The DVD is mediocre so if the BRD is up to Twilight Times' usual high standards, this will be an automatic purchase. Same with Leave Her To Heaven. I watched the DVD quite recently: it's pretty bad and an upgrade will be very welcome. The two Walter Hill's are also automatic purchases even though both respective DVDs are good. The Only Game In Town I've seen only once and I want to see it again, but is it worth Twilight Time's price just to watch it once? And then there's Body Double . . . .

It's going to be expensive.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I'm thrilled to get LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN in Blu. Technicolor Noir! One of the greats.

I'm also happy to get HARD TIMES and THE DRIVER.

It amazes me that the studios wouldn't choose to put out PHILADELPHIA, SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and BODY DOUBLE on Blu-ray themselves. One would think those would easily sell more than 3000 copies. At least Twilight Time will be able to make their money back on them. They'll hopefully help pay for the "niche" titles they choose to put out.

Speaking of niche titles, the real curios are THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN and THE DISAPPEARANCE. Certainly not films one would normally think about when coming up with a list of potential Blu-rays. Though they're not films I have any particular interest in, I'm glad that Twilight Time is willing to spend their time, money and effort putting out both the well known films and obscure titles such as these. George Stevens and Donald Sutherland completists can rejoice!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm usually in for curios, so The Only Game In Town and The Disappearance will likely be purchased. Body Double, Driver, and Hard Times are no-brainers. I'm also in for the two Fox classics from the old "Studio Classics" line, Leave Her to Heaven and Love is a Many Splendored Thing, which should be big improvements over the earlier releases. Looks like June will be my most expensive month for Twilight Time titles.

Interesting that some big Tom Hanks titles are showing up. Are 90s dramas really not selling that well?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Eastmancolor said:
It amazes me that the studios wouldn't choose to put out PHILADELPHIA, SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and BODY DOUBLE on Blu-ray themselves. One would think those would easily sell more than 3000 copies. At least Twilight Time will be able to make their money back on them. They'll hopefully help pay for the "niche" titles they choose to put out.
In this case the "studios" is one in particular - Sony. Sony has all but abandoned new-to-Blu catalog releases unless it's a Super A-List title (Lawrence of Arabia, Funny Girl) or a tie-in (Les Miserables 1998). Otherwise they have licensed titles to Criterion, Image, Mill Creek and Twilight Time. Fortunately, all the mastering is apparently still done at Sony and it's only the distribution that is spread around.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
As AS GOOD AS IT GETS is still available through TT, I imagine Columbia thinks the titles have already reached saturation on DVD. I do think BODY DOUBLE, grandmother of the "erotic thriller" along with DRESSED TO KILL, will move a few units.

I've never been able to get through THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN but to each his own. I doubt THE DISAPPEARANCE has been shown anywhere since Cinemax circa 1983. I recall it being pretty lifeless, but perhaps time has been kind. There's talk on the IMDb of a director's cut (Stuart Cooper made the well-regarded OVERLORD, and no further features after this) but I don't know what TT has. It doesn't seem to have a Fox or Sony connection unless the rights have changed.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Brandon Conway said:
In this case the "studios" is one in particular - Sony. Sony has all but abandoned new-to-Blu catalog releases unless it's a Super A-List title (Lawrence of Arabia, Funny Girl) or a tie-in (Les Miserables 1998). Otherwise they have licensed titles to Criterion, Image, Mill Creek and Twilight Time. Fortunately, all the mastering is apparently still done at Sony and it's only the distribution that is spread around.
It is slim pickings all the way around. Between now the first week of June, Sony has only five Blu-ray titles slated for release:

Iron Man: Rise of the Technovore
Small Apartments
Funny Girl (Amazon Excusive)ParkerBreaking Bad Season 5

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brandon Conway said:
In this case the "studios" is one in particular - Sony. Sony has all but abandoned new-to-Blu catalog releases unless it's a Super A-List title (Lawrence of Arabia, Funny Girl) or a tie-in (Les Miserables 1998).
Or Ishtar....

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Love is a Many-Splendored Thing is not a surprise to me at all. Hopefully the original, non-noise-gated audio masters are used. I wouldn't get my hopes up on quality though, given that a recent Fox title starting Jennifer Jones, The Song of Bernadette, was sourced from a DVD era master. Leon Shamroy's CinemaScope photography was nominated for an Oscar and Alfred Newman's score won the Oscar that year (undeservingly in my opinion; it's irritatingly repetitious and is easily bested by Hugo Friedhofer's score for The Rains of Ranchipur and Bernard Herrmann's score for Prince of Players. Neither of those were even nominated that year.) By the way, when will we be getting Prince of Players, Twilight Time?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brandon Conway said:
Which has been indefinitely delayed for over a year now...
Is it still on the schedule for August, or has it been delayed yet again?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Bob Cashill said:
As AS GOOD AS IT GETS is still available through TT, I imagine Columbia thinks the titles have already reached saturation on DVD. I do think BODY DOUBLE, grandmother of the "erotic thriller" along with DRESSED TO KILL, will move a few units.

I've never been able to get through THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN but to each his own. I doubt THE DISAPPEARANCE has been shown anywhere since Cinemax circa 1983. I recall it being pretty lifeless, but perhaps time has been kind. There's talk on the IMDb of a director's cut (Stuart Cooper made the well-regarded OVERLORD, and no further features after this) but I don't know what TT has. It doesn't seem to have a Fox or Sony connection unless the rights have changed.
None of this is quite accurate re The Disappearance. It was a Z Channel exclusive in Stuart's director's cut. However, what has been ascertained is that the only difference between his initial cut and the film as released in the UK and which will be on the Blu-ray, is in the first eleven minutes of the film - and his cut of those first eleven minutes will be on the Blu-ray - otherwise the film is exactly the same in both cuts. What is vastly different is the film as released in the US by World Northal - that was the bastard child - cut down to eighty minutes with a synthesizer score by Craig Hundley. That makes linear that which wasn't and it's purportedly awful. I just came from a meeting with Stuart and the Twilight Time guys - I've been doing other projects with him (we're doing the Overlord soundtrack and also the soundtrack from The Disappearance, which is by Robert Farnon (with a little Ravel) - and also the soundtrack for the film Stuart made AFTER The Disappearance, which is called Hustle.

The Disappearance is a kind of lost gem, much like Rapture. No, it doesn't have quick editing and hurried pacing - it is a measured romantic thriller with a great cast and it looks amazing on Hi-Def, shot by the brilliant John Alcott. Highly recommended to those who like a little something off the beaten track. And there will be a lot of nice extras, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks