Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases July-August 2013

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 of 164 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,966 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:13 AM

phil.jpeg  leave.jpeg  hard.jpeg  driver.jpeg  only.jpeg  sleep.jpeg  loveis.jpeg  body.jpeg  sexy.jpeg  disa.jpeg

PHILADELPHIA (1993) BLU-RAY - May 14th

LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945) BLU-RAY - May 14th

HARD TIMES (1975) BLU-RAY - June 11th

THE DRIVER (1978) BLU-RAY - June 11th

THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970) BLU-RAY - June 11th

SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (1993) BLU-RAY - July 9th

LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955) BLU-RAY - July 9th

BODY DOUBLE (1984) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th

SEXY BEAST (2000) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th

THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977) BLU-RAY - Aug 13th

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 164 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,603 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:28 AM

Phila and Body Double works for me.

facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 164 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:53 AM

Sexy Beast is the one that interests me, but I already have it.

Twice.

UK HD DVD and UK Blu-ray Disc.  One is 16:9 the other 2.35:1.  It was shot in Super 35, so you'd expect it to be good in 2.35:1 and lots of dead space in 16:9, but it appears fine in 16:9 and a little tight in 2.35:1.

But the UK releases are both 1080i, so I'm looking forward to a 'proper' version.

Superb film - an absolute favourite.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#4 of 164 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,269 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:10 AM

Oh dear. This is going to be expensive! 

I didn't see Love Is A Many Splendored Thing coming. The DVD is mediocre so if the BRD is up to Twilight Times' usual high standards, this will be an automatic purchase. Same with Leave Her To Heaven. I watched the DVD quite recently: it's pretty bad and an upgrade will be very welcome. The two Walter Hill's are also automatic purchases even though both respective DVDs are good. The Only Game In Town I've seen only once and I want to see it again, but is it worth Twilight Time's price just to watch it once? And then there's Body Double . . . . 

It's going to be expensive.

Edited by Robin9, April 02 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#5 of 164 OFFLINE   warnerbro

warnerbro

Second Unit

• 263 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:11 AM

Leave Her to Heaven!  Yes!  Gene Tierney in color and acting evil!  Who could ask for anything more!

#6 of 164 OFFLINE   Mark Mayes

Mark Mayes

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood

Posted April 02 2013 - 10:14 AM

I have eagerly awaited notification of pre-order for "Leave Her To Heaven" for weeks! Won't be long now!

#7 of 164 OFFLINE   Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 02 2013 - 10:23 AM

I'm thrilled to get LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN in Blu.  Technicolor Noir!  One of the greats.

I'm also happy to get HARD TIMES and THE DRIVER.

It amazes me that the studios wouldn't choose to put out PHILADELPHIA, SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and BODY DOUBLE on Blu-ray themselves.  One would think those would easily sell more than 3000 copies.  At least Twilight Time will be able to make their money back on them.  They'll hopefully help pay for the "niche" titles they choose to put out.

Speaking of niche titles, the real curios are THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN and THE DISAPPEARANCE.  Certainly not films one would normally think about when coming up with a list of potential Blu-rays.  Though they're not films I have any particular interest in, I'm glad that Twilight Time is willing to spend their time, money and effort putting out both the well known films and obscure titles such as these.  George Stevens and Donald Sutherland completists can rejoice!

#8 of 164 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,055 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'm usually in for curios, so The Only Game In Town and The Disappearance will likely be purchased.  Body Double, Driver, and Hard Times are no-brainers.  I'm also in for the two Fox classics from the old "Studio Classics" line, Leave Her to Heaven and Love is a Many Splendored Thing, which should be big improvements over the earlier releases.  Looks like June will be my most expensive month for Twilight Time titles.

Interesting that some big Tom Hanks titles are showing up.  Are 90s dramas really not selling that well?

#9 of 164 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,266 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted April 02 2013 - 11:27 AM

Body Double for me :)
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#10 of 164 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,737 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 02 2013 - 11:34 AM

It amazes me that the studios wouldn't choose to put out PHILADELPHIA, SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and BODY DOUBLE on Blu-ray themselves.  One would think those would easily sell more than 3000 copies.  At least Twilight Time will be able to make their money back on them.  They'll hopefully help pay for the "niche" titles they choose to put out.

In this case the "studios" is one in particular - Sony. Sony has all but abandoned new-to-Blu catalog releases unless it's a Super A-List title (Lawrence of Arabia, Funny Girl) or a tie-in (Les Miserables 1998). Otherwise they have licensed titles to Criterion, Image, Mill Creek and Twilight Time. Fortunately, all the mastering is apparently still done at Sony and it's only the distribution that is spread around.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 164 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,469 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 11:43 AM

As AS GOOD AS IT GETS is still available through TT, I imagine Columbia thinks the titles have already reached saturation on DVD. I do think BODY DOUBLE, grandmother of the "erotic thriller" along with DRESSED TO KILL, will move a few units. 

I've never been able to get through THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN but to each his own. I doubt THE DISAPPEARANCE has been shown anywhere since Cinemax circa 1983. I recall it being pretty lifeless, but perhaps time has been kind. There's talk on the IMDb of a director's cut (Stuart Cooper made the well-regarded OVERLORD, and no further features after this) but I don't know what TT has. It doesn't seem to have a Fox or Sony connection unless the rights have changed. 

#12 of 164 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,399 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted April 02 2013 - 12:11 PM

In this case the "studios" is one in particular - Sony. Sony has all but abandoned new-to-Blu catalog releases unless it's a Super A-List title (Lawrence of Arabia, Funny Girl) or a tie-in (Les Miserables 1998). Otherwise they have licensed titles to Criterion, Image, Mill Creek and Twilight Time. Fortunately, all the mastering is apparently still done at Sony and it's only the distribution that is spread around.

It is slim pickings all the way around. Between now the first week of June, Sony has only five Blu-ray titles slated for release:

Iron Man: Rise of the Technovore

Small Apartments

Funny Girl (Amazon Excusive)ParkerBreaking Bad Season 5

Rich Gallagher

#13 of 164 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,055 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 12:11 PM

In this case the "studios" is one in particular - Sony. Sony has all but abandoned new-to-Blu catalog releases unless it's a Super A-List title (Lawrence of Arabia, Funny Girl) or a tie-in (Les Miserables 1998).

Or Ishtar....

Edited by JoHud, April 02 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#14 of 164 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,752 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 02 2013 - 12:12 PM

I wouldn't have guessed that Twilight Time would get Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, but I'm glad it's coming.

#15 of 164 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,737 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 02 2013 - 12:27 PM

Or Ishtar....

Which has been indefinitely delayed for over a year now...

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 164 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 12:52 PM

Love is a Many-Splendored Thing is not a surprise to me at all. Hopefully the original, non-noise-gated audio masters are used. I wouldn't get my hopes up on quality though, given that a recent Fox title starting Jennifer Jones, The Song of Bernadette, was sourced from a DVD era master. Leon Shamroy's CinemaScope photography was nominated for an Oscar and Alfred Newman's score won the Oscar that year (undeservingly in my opinion; it's irritatingly repetitious and is easily bested by Hugo Friedhofer's score for The Rains of Ranchipur and Bernard Herrmann's score for Prince of Players. Neither of those were even nominated that year.) By the way, when will we be getting Prince of Players, Twilight Time?

Edited by Lromero1396, April 02 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#17 of 164 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,408 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 12:54 PM

The pre order date for Leave Her To Heaven is??

#18 of 164 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,055 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 12:54 PM

Which has been indefinitely delayed for over a year now...

Is it still on the schedule for August, or has it been delayed yet again?

#19 of 164 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,691 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 02 2013 - 01:42 PM

As AS GOOD AS IT GETS is still available through TT, I imagine Columbia thinks the titles have already reached saturation on DVD. I do think BODY DOUBLE, grandmother of the "erotic thriller" along with DRESSED TO KILL, will move a few units. 

I've never been able to get through THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN but to each his own. I doubt THE DISAPPEARANCE has been shown anywhere since Cinemax circa 1983. I recall it being pretty lifeless, but perhaps time has been kind. There's talk on the IMDb of a director's cut (Stuart Cooper made the well-regarded OVERLORD, and no further features after this) but I don't know what TT has. It doesn't seem to have a Fox or Sony connection unless the rights have changed. 

None of this is quite accurate re The Disappearance.  It was a Z Channel exclusive in Stuart's director's cut.  However, what has been ascertained is that the only difference between his initial cut and the film as released in the UK and which will be on the Blu-ray, is in the first eleven minutes of the film - and his cut of those first eleven minutes will be on the Blu-ray - otherwise the film is exactly the same in both cuts.  What is vastly different is the film as released in the US by World Northal - that was the bastard child - cut down to eighty minutes with a synthesizer score by Craig Hundley.  That makes linear that which wasn't and it's purportedly awful.  I just came from a meeting with Stuart and the Twilight Time guys - I've been doing other projects with him (we're doing the Overlord soundtrack and also the soundtrack from The Disappearance, which is by Robert Farnon (with a little Ravel) - and also the soundtrack for the film Stuart made AFTER The Disappearance, which is called Hustle.

The Disappearance is a kind of lost gem, much like Rapture.  No, it doesn't have quick editing and hurried pacing - it is a measured romantic thriller with a great cast and it looks amazing on Hi-Def, shot by the brilliant John Alcott.  Highly recommended to those who like a little something off the beaten track.  And there will be a lot of nice extras, too.

#20 of 164 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted April 02 2013 - 04:25 PM

Bruce, do you know where TT have licenced The Disappearance from? I didn't think Fox or Sony had it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users