Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Zeffirelli's ROMEO AND JULIET 6/12 in France

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted April 01 2013 - 11:05 PM

Great news... One of my favourite films!

http://www.amazon.fr...64886454&sr=1-1

Edited by Andrew Budgell, April 01 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,512 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:39 PM

Price is a bit steep. I think I'll hold off (as much as I really want a Blu of this), as Warner Bros might release it in the foreseeable future.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 11:11 PM

This is one of my most-wanted, all-time favorite films (and soundtracks). I first saw it on re-release paired with, of all things, Let the Good Times Roll in 1973, followed by repertory screenings thereafter. But I'd been listening to the soundtrack LP since it came out, the one with the dialogue from the film..

Anyhow, there hasn't been inkling of a blu-ray release from either Paramount or Warner Brothers. I had hoped Criterion would oversee a transfer and blu-ray release because they'd do  it right. Pricey though it is, I can't wait to see Romeo & Juliet in hi-definition. I'll buy the French blu.

Edited by Richard--W, April 03 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,986 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hopefully the road show.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,591 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 03 2013 - 07:42 AM

Hopefully the road show.

Why? Is there a difference?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted April 03 2013 - 09:28 AM

I wasn't aware there was a roadshow version...

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted April 03 2013 - 11:19 AM

The DVD contains the intermission card, which I thought was odd given the film's 138-minute running time.  Could that be what RAH is referring to?

I'm starting Romeo & Juliet with my students next week (gotta love R&J season), so I'll likely be watching scenes from this film multiple times for the next five weeks or so.  We primarily read and analyze the text, but I'll sometimes treat them to a key scene so they can see how the words would truly be performed.

Edited by Escapay, April 03 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,986 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 11:23 AM

Intermission, and as I recall, a short entr'acte.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 01:05 PM

I'm starting Romeo & Juliet with my students next week (gotta love R&J season), so I'll likely be watching scenes from this film multiple times for the next five weeks or so.  We primarily read and analyze the text, but I'll sometimes treat them to a key scene so they can see how the words would truly be performed.

This is the performance you want your students to hear:

R&J.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=

I've listened to, watched and even participated in many performances of this play over the years but I've never heard it delivered with such in-the-moment down-to-earth conviction.  It doesn't sound like arhcaic language because the actors are calling upon emotions that everyone can relate to. The idea is to play it real. Zefferelli had a gift for Shakespeare and it's a shame he only directed three dramatic adaptations ( I don't count the opera ).  Before this film, actors emphasized the poetry and musicality of the lines. Zefferelli did away with that, and the poetry comes across anyow.

Nina Rota's soundtrack CD is sensational, too.

R&Jmusic.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...TF8&me=&seller=

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,512 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 03:39 PM

The album you refer to above was actually the severely truncated (40m) score with blocks of dialog, and was the one that sold a kazillion copies in 1968. For class study, it is not very suitable. There was a subsequent release (also on Capital Records, as seen in this link) that was a 4-disc and contained the entire soundtrack, dialog and all. Of course, such a (originally quite expensive) set is really pretty much moot in these days of DVD's... why not just show the movie, or at least play the soundtrack for the class from the video?

Anyway, I am glad these MIA Paramount films are getting released, regardless of where or by whom.

http://www.amazon.co...d juliet (1968)

Edited by Dick, April 03 2013 - 03:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users