What's new

Samsung TV, Time Warner Cable Box and JVC DVD/Surround Sound Receiver (1 Viewer)

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
Arghh... How many hours have I spent researching this? I have a Samsung LN52B750. I have a TWC cable box Explorer 8640 and JVC TH-G31. The surround sound works with a DVD in the JVC receiver but I can't get the TV to use surround sound. The cable box and JVC unit have separate HDMI cables to the tv. I used a digital optical cable from the JVC unit to the TWC box. How do I get the surround sound to play on the tv? So frustrated..and out $50 on cables and wires. Please help. I'm ready to call the Geek Squad and that is so not me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dolby Digital.Your TV only handles PCM 2.0.If you've not set your cable box for audio/surround/DD...it isn't providing anything other than 2.0 to the receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Go into your settings. Every STB is different. I'm sure yours comes with a manual...or when you get into the audio setup, you should be able to find it.If this were a Directv box(which im familiar with), the process takes 10 seconds.

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
Just found the pdf for the Explorer 8640 manual. There's a paragraph about changing the settings for Dolby. Can't wait to get home and see if it works. I'll let you know.

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
I changed the setting to Dolby and set the speaker to External but still no sound. Is there a way to check if the optical cable is functioning? What now?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I misunderstood your original post. I assumed you "got sound", just not in "surround sound".

IT is possible TWC "kills" the "other outputs" when you use HDMI. So, try turning off the HDMI and using the component. The only thing you "lose" is 1080P VOD.

That "killing of the other inputs" is a point of consternation for numerous people...and why I call them Time Werner...and their alter ego...Concast.

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
Wait! The sound is only coming from two speakers. So then I accessed my Apple TV to play a movie and see if the sound worked. The sound was a tv channel and the movie was playing on the screen. I think we're on to something but it needs tweaking. Any thoughts? Also, once I got the sound through two of the speakers I turned the tv off and the sound of the channel was still coming through the speakers. I'm holding 4 remotes in my hand. Not cool.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Getting an "all-in-one" remote would be a good idea(look at the Woot Deals thread on here...if there are any left...worth it for a Samsung Tab, I almost bought one myself).

Anyway....

If you've turned on your DD and you are still only getting 2.0 it is possible...
1. Your cable box dumbs the signal back down to 2.0(of all "connections" the capablility of the "lowest common denominator" is what takes preference)
2. Your AVR can't accept 5.1(though this is doubtful since it is apparently taking it from a DVD player)

So...try DPL(Dolby ProLogic). I also just realised this is a DVD-HTiB(looked for it, previously on my phone).

It "should" accept 5.1 from your cable box...provided your cable box can send 5.1 from the optical while the HDMI is connected to a TV(see No. 1 above).

I have not seen a picture of the remote of the JVC...but it should have a "sound mode" button.

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
Here's a recap: TV and AVR connected with HDMI. TV set to Dolby. TV and Cable Box connected with HDMI and Cable Box set to Aux Opt. Cable box and AVR connected with Optical cable. And lastly, Apple TV connected to TV with HDMI. Movies on DVD player have surround sound. Some TV channels (cooking) have sound from all 5 speakers but some channels have sound only coming from 1 or 2 speakers. I'm good with that. I think it's just a channel thing.

How do I access my Apple TV and watch my Itunes movies with surround sound? The Apple TV is connected directly to TV with HDMI and not connected to anything else. We're almost there. When I access my Itunes movies on Apple TV the sound from the speakers is the channel I had on the TV before accessing the Apple TV. So my movie is playing and the sound is from a TV show. Thanks for all your help. I was ready to trash everything and just listen to the TV speaker.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can't connect anything directly to the TV, and then audio from it to the JVC. The JVC, being limited capability HTiB, doesn't have enough inputs.

HTiB does not equal AVR.

Which generation of ATV do you have? They are different. Some have HDMI only, some have HDMI and a toslink. Some have HDMI, toslink and analog audio. So, which one you got?

IF your ATV has a toslink, you'll need a toslink switch.
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28734-Explorer-Selector/dp/B0002OF2FC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364997125&sr=1-1&keywords=toslink+switch

That is the fact of life of buying limited capability HTiB.

If your ATV does not have a toslink, and only the HDMI...
If your TV has an optical(or digital coax) output, you can run that to a toslink switch. (digital coax will require a dig coax -> optical adapter)

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
OK, so I'm confused again, but trying desperately to figure out the terminology. My Samsung LN52B750 has a digital audio out optical. My TV has 4 HDMI ports. Should i connect the digital audio optical cable from my tv to the Cable box or to the HTiB? There is a single digital audio optical plug on both the cable box and the HTiB box. How do I know if I have toslink?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It would help to post a picture of the rear of this G31. I've only found the G30 through searches. I doubt there are (m)any differences between them.

You have...
ATV(which one?)
Cable STB(connections on cable/sat STB have been pretty much universal for 15 years now...except in implementation)
LCD that(luckily) has a digital toslink.
HTiB.

Your HTiB has....1 optical input.
You have two sources(being the ATV and STB) that need "some connection" to the HTiB.

So...covering all the bases(cause I have no idea which ATV you have...)

If your ATV has a toslink...you need...

A toslink switch to switch between the audio from the ATV and STB.

If your ATV does not have a toslink...you need...

A toslink switch to switch between the STB and the TV(cause the audio will have to go there first).

Regardless...you need the toslink switch.

You "could" spend $50+ on a HDMI switch that has a 5.1 capable toslink(but...getting back to the "issue there" is you have to make sure the toslink is capable of 5.1 when the HDMI is connected to a TV...as some HDMI switches dumb the signal down to 2.0...because of the TV...separating the toslink from the HDMI at the source, and again, source being the STB/ATV, you mitigate the 5.1 dumbing down to 2.0 problem)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way(since I was using phone yesterday and JVC/USA was wonky)...

The G31 has two analog audio inputs. 1/8th on the front and a standard red/white on the back. If your ATV has an analog audio out, you can connect it.

I don't use an ATV so I have no idea how much content can be streamed other than 2.0 on it. I use a laptop.

If there is very little 5.1 over the ATV, and you have the analog, there is no reason not to use it and use the JVC's onboard DPL.

kkarey27

Grip
Real Name
Kathy
Real quick: can you help me with some of the acronyms? ATV (apple tv)? STB? I'm still confused. I have a Samsung TV LN52B750(researched everything before I bought this). I have a cable box from Time Warner Cable Explorer 8640 and the HTiB JVC TH-G31(this was a gift - not my choice). I also connected my little black box Apple TV to my Samsung TV. My apple tv is only 1.5 years old. Does that help?
http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/17/14.PDF

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks