What's new

Will any HTIBs go with any brand Tower speakers? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Swaroop
I am building my Home theater for the first time and my budget is 2000 (+/- 200 is fine). This includes speakers, receiver, blueray player.
I really loved Definitive technology's BP 8040ST Floor standing speakers. I tried these at bestbuy, they sounded great. The best deal I found so far is $1300 per pair on eBay. Please point me to better deals, if any.

Now, if I am trying to add surround and center channel speakers separately to these towers, it is exceeding my budget or not enough left for receiver and blueray player. Please give your ideas to make a complete system.
My idea is buy a good quality HTIB for a low price and add these towers to it, can I add these towers to a HTIB system to make a complete 7.1/5.1 system?
Like:
Polk Audio Blackstone TL1900 5.1 + 2 Definitive technology's BP 8040ST Floor standing speakers
or something like
Klipsch HD Theater 600 HDT-600 5.1 + 2 Definitive technology's BP 8040ST Floor standing speakers

I did not get a chance to try these Polk & Klipsch HTIBs, can they go together with towers? If so can someone please suggest a good 7.1 network ready receiver to drive this kind of setup? Please point me to good deals for any/all components.

Thanks,
Swaroop

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You need to correct your terminology. You aren't looking at HTiB.You are looking at pre-package, there is a monumental difference. Now you should match your speakers. Mixing brands is never advised. Now Def Tech is not an inexpensive brand. The least expensive are the StudioMonitor. The 350 can be had for $200/pair.My advice is to start with the 2.0 and add them in as you can afford to do so.

Real Name
Swaroop
Thanks for your reply. Sure, I will correct my terminology, now that I joined this forum :)
Starting from a small setup is a good idea.
How about starting from this system?
Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1CH Home Audio Speaker System - eBay has a new one for $250
Did you or anyone in the forum tried this system before?
May be I can add the 8040ST towers later. Let me know your thoughts.

Real Name
Swaroop
Okay, in that case, how about I choose Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 5.1 instead of '60'. Will this also have similar problem of sub getting lost with 8040 towers? I am hoping 600 is better and advanced system than 60.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Real Name
Swaroop
"I've not heard the newer 80x0 series. I'm going on my impression of the prior 700X...'
What do you mean by this? Sorry, I am new to hometheater terminology :)

So, you are saying I can get either DefTech procinema 600 or DefTech procinema 60 and add the subwoofer you suggested. Then I will be good to go?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, as i don't see either subwoofer doing anything your mains won't. The 8040 is part of a series(8020/60 are the other two). The prior version is the 7002/4/6.Hence 80x0 and 700x..."x" being the swapped number...You'll see the same thing when people talk about AVR...the Denon XX13 are on clearance for the upcoming XX14...

Real Name
Swaroop
Okay, Sounds good. Thanks for all your inputs :)
I will most likely go with DefTech procinema 60 + two 8040st towers (and add a good subwoofer later)

Can you please suggest a few good receivers for this kind of setup? (around 400$)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For the AVR(what the receiver is called)...

Sources/main content...

DVD/BD?
VHS?
Wii?
Xbox?
Turntable?

Movies?
TV?
Gaming?
Music?

Do you want...
Networking?
Front HDMI/USB?
2nd or 3rd Zone?

$400 leaves you lots of options(especially since "last years" are on clearance making room for this years).

Real Name
Swaroop
DVD/BD? - YES for both
VHS? - NO
Wii? - NO
Xbox? - may be in future
Turntable? - NO

Movies? - YES (may be like streaming from my laptop via HDMI)
TV? - YES (comcast cable, no HD service)
Gaming? - NO
Music? - YES (ipod, iphone, andriod phone(optional))

Do you want...
Networking? YES - (no Wifi is okay)
Front HDMI/USB? (good to have this option)
2nd or 3rd Zone? NO

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, A4L links for the 1913 and 616...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1913/DENON-AVR-1913-7.1ch-Home-Theater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR616/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

The Onkyo has a better remote...(the remote it comes with will control "the rest" of your system...except for computer/gaming)
Denon has a better version of Audyssey...(the remote here is a "joke". But the Audyssey and "most people's penchant" for buying aftermarket remotes...meant Denon slacked off on the remote)

To get a "great remote" and the "better Audyssey" on one AVR would require $600...from either...

Since I'm going on "pre-bought" ideas here...

If you plan on buying a Harmony/URC remote...or if you have a Samsung tablet(look at today's Wood Deal thread) the Onkyo's advantage is a moot point. Unless you want/need two HDMI outputs eventually(not a feature you said you needed...but it is there on the Onkyo).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks