What's new

Advice for centralizing components for multi room use (1 Viewer)

Tundratic

Auditioning
Hey folks,
Bear with me as I'm kinda new to this stuff. I'm just looking for a little advice on how I could accomplish the following project:

Basically, I'm just looking to centralize components in a cooling rack in my house and then run cabling to various rooms for multi-room-use (internet modem, router, cable DVR, DLNA server, PS3 etc).

I'm not looking to try the impossible of using one of the components in two rooms at the same time - I know there are such DVRs out there, but mine doesn't have that capability (yet anyway).

I just want to be able to use the DVR, PS3, etc in more than the one room it is currently connected to (ie turn one room off and move to the other and turn it on there).

I'm wondering if I could accomplish this by merely placing an HDMI switch in the rack and connecting the DVR, PS3 into it and then running individual cables to the various rooms.

I could then program my Logitech Harmony 1100 remote to have separate room functions (ie "Watch TV Theater room" or "Watch TV livingroom" etc).

Would this work? I would just have to get IR extenders so my remote works throughout the house.

Any ideas? I'm sure there are better ways to do this. Probably better remote controlling systems too (wifi connected ipad remote perhaps?)

Sorry for the wall of text, but any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post my step by step and lots of photos once it's finished.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep, there are, off the top of my head, 45 different companies making stuff to do this.

CableToGo
Vanco
MonoPrice
Xantech

And on, and on, and on

Easiest thing to do is call one of those companies and talk to them. Tell them what you got, how far HDMI/signal has to go...and they'll tell you exactly what you need.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Tic.

HDMI splitters will work fine except for maybe your DVR, that working correctly will depend on what your provider allows. For example my Comcast cable box will disable the component output when the HDMI cable is plugged in. It also doesnt like using a HDMI splitter.

IMO a flexible AVR is your best friend and the easiest solution. The most flexible I have found so far is my current AVR, the Yamaha RX-A3010. There could be other Yamaha models, or other manufactures, that offer the same features but Ive not really looked. The biggest feature of the Yammy, besides obviously being a dual HDMI output AVR, is simultaneous HDMI output while zone 1 is in stand by mode. What this means is I can have two displays in two different rooms being switched by the AVR even if all four of its audio zones are off! Very cool. In all other AVRs that Ive found, including feature-chumps like Onkyo, HDMI out requires zone 1 power ON to work, pain in the ass to mute a zone to get video support in another zone.

Won't work with your Harmony 1100, as it has a rechargeable battery, but I use a IR repeater system that replaces either a AA or AAA battery in your universal remote. Works great but only used for video selection and individual component control. Yamaha has a cool Android app that allows control and two-way communication of streaming services built into the AVR, in my house that provides remote-control-free Pandora music services in three rooms in my house. Again, very cool. Anyway, thats just for music. Youd want to purchase additional transmitter batteries for multiple zones but heres the IR repeater system I use for standard remote controls:

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks