What's new

Orphan Black Season 1 (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Orphan Black start tonight on BBC after an all new Doctore Who. I'm very curious about this show.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, the previews look good. To be honest, the first preview reminded me a lot of a series of X-Files episodes regarding "Eves". But we'll see. I do like the idea.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I thought it was funny that Felix cross dressed the kids, and at first the boy was against it, but then when he put the boy in a dress he lived it and wanted him to stay and spend the night.I'm liking the show so far and want to stay with it till the end.I love the mood and music.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It does have a very interesting mood to it. You get the feeling that Sarah's been living on the edge for a very long time now, and this whole clone thing is just another complication in a long line of complications, mostly self-made, for her.It was interesting that the Canadian soccer mom was surprised that Kira was Sarah's biological daughter. This suggests that at least some of the clones are infertile. This would mean that either Sarah's the original (or one of the originals, if the DNA was taken from identical twins) or she was a more successful variation than some of the others. I'm still kind of rooting for them to ALL be clones, with the DNA taken from the remains of some long dead historical figure like Joan of Arc.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
JohnS said:
Orphan Black start tonight on BBC after an all new Doctore Who.I'm very curious about this show.
Never seen a single episode of X-Files, so this will all be new to me.

Got the first four episodes on DVR, just haven't had time to watch them yet.

Do you guys think it's worth the effort or is this a dud?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I thought the first two eps were pretty muddled; but episodes 3 and 4 pulled into place, and I really like the direction this is going now. I think it took the show runners a bit to lay down their guiding story, but now that it's in place I'm pretty hopeful for this series.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Matt's assessment. The pilot in particular, got bogged down with Sarah's messy private life. The second episode was bit better, and episodes three and four have been very solid.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As the sci-fi element comes more and more to the foreground, I become more and more invested. Last night's episode confirmed that Beth was infertile, so if Allison is also infertile it definitely starts raising interesting questions about Sarah.

We know Vic isn't Kira's father, but who is? In the pilot, I thought it'd have just been some ill-advised hook-up on Sarah's long journey of delinquency, but now I'm starting to think that the answer's more interesting.

Also interesting is Cosima running the tests for genetic markers, including for certain animal DNA. We know all of the clones are genetically identical in terms of appearance, but perhaps there are other parts of their genetic code that vary from clone to clone. If Sarah is one of the clones and not the original, it would explain why she's fertile and some of the other clones are not. I wonder if the clones are precursors to "Dark Angel"-style transgenics.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great news! Thanks for sharing.
I don't know know if BBC America was a full production co-partner from the beginning, but it looks like the network definitely is for the second season.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Looks like Orphan Black, even though its a good show is getting audience from it's Sci-fi Saturday block. With Doctor Who and The Nerdist.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
A little behind, but finally watched the first six episodes today.

Pretty decent show, although I'm still trying to figure out which clone is which, other than the hairstyles, a little confusing.

Are there more clones to come? I thought I heard one of them say in episode six that so far they've discovered nine. Looking forward to tonight's episode, glad it has been renewed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, tonight's episode explained where the title came from. Sarah was an orphan who was sent "into the black" for her own protection. If she's a clone it might explain why she's different from the others; she was rescued before they could sterilize her. If she's the original, it might be the reason she was so special as to be worth rescuing.I love the scenes with Sarah and Mrs. S. So much baggage there, lots of hostility but also lots of love.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The best part about this show is that it moves along at a breakneck speed. It felt a little slow in the beginning, but it's just a freight train now.

Tatiana Maslany is my favorite actor in anything right now.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It is amazing how well she pulls off so many different roles and makes them seem like legitimately different characters; different accents, different posture, different demeanor.. and she completely pulls that off. It's one of the most difficult roles I've seen for a woman on TV in a while because of that element.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
mattCR said:
It is amazing how well she pulls off so many different roles and makes them seem like legitimately different characters; different accents, different posture, different demeanor.. and she completely pulls that off. It's one of the most difficult roles I've seen for a woman on TV in a while because of that element.
While I certainly wouldn't classify the show as great, I do find it to be well done in several aspects. The acting was quite surprising since most shows like this are B type actors at best. Tatiana Maslany has some nice acting skills and one of the reasons why the show holds together for me. She is convincing in her different parts playing herself but with different souls. That's something most can't pull off that well and even Sarah Michelle Gellar had very big issues with that in her CW show that was cancelled.

Overall, I find it worth watching and am glad it will return for another season.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I think that is part of why it's so confusing sometimes as to who is who. Not being rude, she's a very "generic" nice looking woman, but my opinion is almost the opposite, nothing major that stands out so difficult to tell the different clones apart. Still have episodes seven and eight to watch, so maybe things will begin to clear up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks