What's new

Mystery Horror Film: Anyone Know The Title? (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
This has been bothering me for YEARS! And I'm hoping that someone here will know what I'm talking about and can tell me the title of this film. I must have been 7 or 8 years old at the time (it was the mid 1970s) and I remember that the film trailer and newspaper ad really scared me. Sadly I cannot remember any of the actors who were in it.

This is what I can recall:

1) Film was from the mid 1970s. I think it was around the time that FOOD OF THE GODS was released as well.

2) It was most certainly a low-budget film that involved monsters and a tenement building in some American city.

3) The only thing from the commercial that I remember is that a scary looking, white slimy hand was turning a door knob in the dark.

4) The movie poster is probably what I remember the most about it. At the time there was a full page newspaper ad and it had a picture of the outside of a tenement building where a bunch of terrified people were on the fire escape - some were literally hanging from it or falling from it. I think there was some monsters on that fire escape too.

I know that's not much to go on but perhaps there's someone here who's familiar with obscure 1970s horror films. Thanks to anyone who can figure this one out. This has been a mystery to me for over 30 years!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My first thought was Crawlspace with Klaus Kinski. But that poster has bloody hand smears near an open AC vent..

Second guess was Q The Winged Serpent... probably Not....

poster-the-winged-serpent-q-the-winged-serpent-american-monster2.jpg

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
Scott-S said:
Do you remember if the poster/ad was a photo realistic type or a more cartoonish/stylized one?
It was definitely not a photograph or photo realistic. The art style was colorful but very dramatic in a horrific way. It was enough to scare me at the time - and this was just a poster! Imagine what the film might have done to me! :D

@Radioman970: No that's not the film, although I did go and actually see "Q" in the theater when I was a kid. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll keep thinking on it... game to know what it is! I've had several like this that I finally stumbled upon it was good times!

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
First thought was People Under the Stairs, but the movie poster isn't what you described and it was released in 1991.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Had thought Sisters with Margot Kidder or Don't Look Now with Donald Sutherland, but the posters ain't it.

I wish I could remember the one I was looking for and just found it by accident. Eventually I will... and list it here. Maybe folks could help me with that? haha!

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
@ Russell G: It's definitely not "The Brood" or "God Told Me To" but thanks for trying. :)

@ Radioman970: LOL! Well I give you credit for finding a poster with people hanging out of a building! :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
For all the dumb movies Radioman and myself have watched in the horror challenges, THIS SHOULD BE EASY! :lol:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The Devils Rain?

devils_rain.jpg

(and don't judge me for still thinking about this topic, the HTF has NEVER failed to discover a forgotten title!) :P

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If you haven't checked, this might be a great place to try and track down the poster: http://www.movieposter.com/

In addition to the standard movie posters, there are alternate posters as well as lobby card sets (in case the image you remember seeing in the newspaper was a different part of the advertising campaign).

Click "advanced" next to the search icon and you can select both a genre and a date range.

I scanned through "Horror" "1970-1979" (1022 results) and didn't see quite what you describe, but it's surprisingly difficult to scan images without starting to read titles, and the lobby card set thumbnails are distorted and hard to make out without actually loading them.

It's a cool site - I've ordered posters from them before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks