Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2013 MLB Season

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#41 of 534 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 08 2013 - 08:21 AM

Interesting about the baseline rule. Although I don't have my rulebook handy at the moment, I believe that in Little League, the "baseline" is what is established by the runner in the judgment of the umpire.

I like interleague play as a special case, but I agree that having it throughout the season is silly. Of course, now that there are an odd number of teams in each league, they have no choice (unless they change the Monday/ Thursday day-off scheduling).

Thankfully, it sounds like Lackey's injury is not too serious.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#42 of 534 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,567 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 08 2013 - 08:56 AM

Interesting about the baseline rule. Although I don't have my rulebook handy at the moment, I believe that in Little League, the "baseline" is what is established by the runner in the judgment of the umpire.

I like interleague play as a special case, but I agree that having it throughout the season is silly. Of course, now that there are an odd number of teams in each league, they have no choice (unless they change the Monday/ Thursday day-off scheduling).

Thankfully, it sounds like Lackey's injury is not too serious.

Okay, Aaron.  Three separate thoughts from you...three reactions from me:

1.)  I think what you are describing is what takes place between first and third when there's a question about running out of the baseline or an interference play in that part of the field.  It's different between home and first base.

2.)  I have never liked Interleague play.  I would get rid of it ASAP when elected commissioner.

3.)  Amen, brother!  :cheers: I'm hoping he has a good year.  Most pitchers--a year removed from Tommy John surgery--say they've never felt better and have pretty good years.  Some kids are having it done way early now (college!) just to get it out of the way and actually improve the internal mechanics of their pitching arm.  Crazy stuff. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#43 of 534 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 02:34 PM

How about Buchholz today?  He pitched seven innings of three-hit shutout ball.  And Chen was almost as good until the bottom of the inning.  That's two excellent starts each from Lester and Buchholz.

#44 of 534 ONLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 2,035 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 04:10 PM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]I have never liked Interleague play.  I would get rid of it ASAP when elected commissioner.[/color]

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#45 of 534 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,044 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 09 2013 - 08:22 PM

Ho!  The Astros only managed to knock in 17 runs in 7 games, but they're currently whipping on Seattle 13-0. 

Congrats to MY on his almost-cycle.

#46 of 534 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,460 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 09 2013 - 08:49 PM

We were at the game tonight.Young singled, homered then tripled and had one more AB coming but Unfortunately he dribbled to second.Wife and I were at the last game a Phil did get the cycle when David Bell did it in '04.I don't mind inter league games but the Phils might have the worst or Close to worst IL record since it started.My problem has been two. For about the first ten years it really wasn't inter league, It was just your team playing the same division from the other league every year .For the Phls it was always the AL East.They finally fixed that but someone decided that there should be a rivalry Series and that seems to be Phils/Boston. Huh?I haven't looked at the schedule so I can't say if they play again this year.IL should be done the way NFL does it. Rotate every season, and no rivalry series. Also Mike, you are correct on the baseline rule between first and home. A runner mayEstablish a baseline but he then has to stay within his own baseline.That to me is as dumb as the rule running to first. Oh well.
facebook.com/whotony

#47 of 534 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,065 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 10:15 PM

It was the first five seasons not ten.

#48 of 534 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 10 2013 - 07:53 AM

Remember, I was referring to the Little League version of the baseline rule. If I remember, I'll check my rulebook when I get home. (On that note, we continue to drop close games, but at least my kid finally broke out of his hitting slump. He's reached base safely every at-bat for the past three games.)

Speaking of the Phillies, we're going to the Phils-Marlins this weekend. Driving to the new stadium is much less awful than I was expecting. Whew! Sadly, no Red Sox in Miami this year, though.

Unless they both make it to the Fall Classic!!!  :lol:

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#49 of 534 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,567 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 10 2013 - 09:08 AM

Sadly, no Red Sox in Miami this year, though.

Unless they both make it to the Fall Classic!!!  :lol:

I don't know about the Marlins...but the Sox are comfortably alone atop the AL East. 

As each day goes by, the World Series is starting to look more and more like a sure thing for them this year...

:biggrin:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#50 of 534 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,460 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 12:25 PM

I don't know about the Marlins...but the Sox are comfortably alone atop the AL East. 

As each day goes by, the World Series is starting to look more and more like a sure thing for them this year...

:biggrin:

Wow, jinx anyone.

facebook.com/whotony

#51 of 534 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,567 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 10 2013 - 12:50 PM

That's it...I've ruined their chances. 

:laugh:

#52 of 534 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,460 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 06:06 PM

Maybe you did do something. No sellout tonight, that streak is over.
facebook.com/whotony

#53 of 534 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,567 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 10 2013 - 06:36 PM

And the new closer (Hanrahan from the Pirates) imploded in the 9th tonight.

I guess I've gone and done it all right.

#54 of 534 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,460 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hmmm. Lackey strikes out the first man he faces in the bottom of the fifth inning and then he is relieved by Aceves.Walter,I don't mind interleague play, although I don't think that it should occur at the start of the season. There is something wrong with that picture.I know you're a Phillies fan (as opposed to the Pirates), but do happen to know why the Pirates let Hanrahan go? He's been fabulous in his three relief appearances thus far with

I can't answer that but did you guys see tonight's game. Yikes.Although to be fair to Hanrahan Catcher Saltamalmachia messed up two pitches that should have been strikes.He caught one with his glove turned the wrong way and another that he shiftedAcross the plate and made it look like the ball was inside, both pitches should have been strikes and McLouth an out.
facebook.com/whotony

#55 of 534 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 06:52 PM

Tony,

Before tonight's five-run ninth allowed by the Red Sox, Hanrahan looked quite good.  I believe that he had three saves in four outings, and had struck out the only batter he had faced in one of his non-save situations.

Edited by Ockeghem, April 10 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#56 of 534 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,220 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 10 2013 - 08:19 PM

First time in years I have half a hope for my Royals, who for right now sit alone atop the Central
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#57 of 534 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,044 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 10 2013 - 10:16 PM

Oh, snap!  The Angels have fallen below the Astros for the bottom of the West.  Posted Image

I kind of really need you guys to win at least one against the A's, though.

#58 of 534 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 11:59 AM

I kind of like it the way it is now, but I suppose the NL might adopt it one day.

http://espn.go.com/m...itter-spread-nl

#59 of 534 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,044 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 11 2013 - 11:47 PM

I'd be interested in watching the 'Stros vs. the Halos, but I don't have MLB.tv yet this year.  If I didn't have to pay more to watch it on my 360, I might have gotten it.  Either the Angels will breathe a sigh of relief from whipping them, or Scioscia might really be in a bit of trouble.  It's early, but they had trouble early last year and it cost them in the end.

#60 of 534 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,213 posts

Posted April 12 2013 - 07:37 AM

Seeing Mutley laughing there, I can't help but think the Angels are being run by the likes of Dick Dastardly, thinking he has this big, foolproof plan to win it all with the 2 big free-agent signings, only that it will backfire in a big way. :D

TV Episodes Watched - 2015 - March
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read) / 2014 (1 read)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users