What's new

2013 MLB Season (2 Viewers)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Sunday is Opening Night (it should be day but that is another discussion) and it is the Astros first game in the American League. I’m going to miss having the Stros in the Central since they were the only team worse than the Cubs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll be at Yankee Stadium with my son on Opening Day, Monday! :banana:

They're opening against the team from the Bay State. :biggrin:

Due to my work schedule, this has been my first opportunity (pretty much ever) to be able to make any kind of definite plan anywhere near an April 1st. Got lucky this year due to scheduling anomalies.

pg2_g_arod_varitek1_576.jpg

1099232034_3054.jpg

I figure this might be the only time of the year these two teams will be anywhere close to first place. Although I certainly hope that's not the case for the Sox. :biggrin:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It's nice to have baseball back again. I'm not much of a basketball or hockey fan. I try to follow the local teams but I'm just not that interested in them. Both Basketball and hockey are fantastic to see live though. Lots of energy in the arenas and Sharks and Warrior fans are among the best out there. But baseball will always be my favorite sport.

Being an A's fan I'm not expecting them to do what they did last year when I thought they might reach .500 and hopefully not finish in last place. On June 10th, after losing three straight to the Arizona Diamondbacks, they were 9 games under .500 (26-35) and barely hitting .210 as a team. They were pretty bad. Then they went 68-35 the rest of the year and finished in first place (94-68). Who'd have thought. It was a great year but they won't do it again this year. The Angels will play much better then they did last year.

BTW, the Houston Astros might not win 50 games this year in this division. The though is, whichever AL west team does the best against the Astros (17-2?) will probably win the division.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Yankees will pay A-Rod $29 million dollars this year (and he might not even play).

The entire payroll of the Houston Astros this year is $24.3 million dollars.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
I miss the days of the Reds opening up the season.
Me, too. That was one of the great traditions.

I still have a SPORT magazine from 1969 (I was ten) that extensively covered the first 100 years of MLB and, in particular, the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings.

Rangers/Astros? Snore.

Oh. And they could have just moved the Brewers back to the AL. Wouldn't that have made more sense?

Has anyone heard if MLB has announced any changes to its replay rules for this year? My blood pressure has been running a bit low... :laugh:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Found our tix to a game we went to that was already 12 years ago sheesh.

These seats were literally on the roof.
I wonder if they still sell those.

20130319_143641_zps7facee2c.jpg

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Mike Frezon said:
Rangers/Astros? Snore.
Kiss my fanny (the American version)!

Okay, maybe that's not nice for Easter Sunday. All the best to you and yours, even if you nod off at the mention of my Rangers. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
I'll be at Yankee Stadium with my son on Opening Day, Monday! :banana:

They're opening against the team from the Bay State. :biggrin:

Due to my work schedule, this has been my first opportunity (pretty much ever) to be able to make any kind of definite plan anywhere near an April 1st. Got lucky this year due to scheduling anomalies.

pg2_g_arod_varitek1_576.jpg

1099232034_3054.jpg

I figure this might be the only time of the year these two teams will be anywhere close to first place. Although I certainly hope that's not the case for the Sox. :biggrin:
Yankees 92-70 as most try to cover them over with dirt before a game is played.

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Watching the rebroadcast of yesterday's game in which the Yanks played Army at West Point.

Very cool.

And, yes, I'd rather watch yesterday's baseball than today's NCAA Elite Eight game... :biggrin:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Kiss my fanny (the American version)!

Okay, maybe that's not nice for Easter Sunday. All the best to you and yours, even if you nod off at the mention of my Rangers. :)
Nothing against the Rangers (I'm not disrespecting anyone...at least not intentionally)...just the idea of Rangers/Astros (practically inter-league) to open the season. No biggie. :D

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
I miss the days of the Reds opening up the season.
So do I, traditions should be one of baseball's strongest assets but they willingly throw them out for the sake of money.

To make things even worse, who do the Reds open the season against? The Angels! A freaking inter-league game, if only I could become the omnipotent commissioner of baseball so I could do away with the abomination that is inter-league play.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Even after the loss, here's still hoping the Phils will be the only bright spot in Philly sports.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This had nothing to do with the Phils getting clobbered last night but there is a rule that is just plain dumb that came into play late in the game.Utley was on second with two outs. Michael Young dribbled a ball to the pitcher.He picked it up and hit Young in the leg so he was safe, but old on. The home ump called him out saying he was out of the base line.In fact he was literally right on the line and was actually stepping on first base as the ball hit him.So it looked like a run scored and Young was on first. No run and three outs.

Users who are viewing this thread