• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#261 of 272 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 07:33 AM

I sincerely hope that we've seen the last of any "new" product on flippers!

The only (relatively) recently released new product I have come across on double-sided dvd flipper discs, are the dvd copies that are enclosed in some HBO/Cinemax bluray-combo season sets.

(For example, my bluray combo pack of Cinemax's Strike Back season 1 has the dvd-copy as flipper discs).

Though I would imagine for many bluray customers, they might not really care about the dvd-copies being in the form of flipper discs.

• Mr. Handley likes this

#262 of 272 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted September 09 2014 - 03:35 AM

(For completeness).

Here's a list of the new (and old) ASIN numbers of these Alliance/E-one 2010 tv season set releases in Canada.  If anybody orders any of these Alliance/E-one released dvd season sets, one should order the version with the new ASIN, and not the old ASIN.  (I'll list the old ASIN numbers in parentheses for reference as to what to avoid).

These ones I can confirm directly that the new ASIN numbers are indeed the repackaged re-releases (from my recent amazon.ca orders).

Lexx

- season 4

new ASIN - B0057GUDUY

(old ASIN - B003VPX5US )

I can confim that the new ASIN number for Lexx season 4, is indeed the repackaged re-released version.  It is a 6-disk set in a generic viva dvd case.

#263 of 272 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted September 23 2014 - 03:24 PM

Sliders complete series set being released on December 2, 2014 as a 22 disk set.

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B00NTWTWDW

From the quoted disc count, it sounds like season 3 will be single-sided discs.  (The original version of season 3 had four double-sided flipper discs).

#264 of 272 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,614 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted September 23 2014 - 03:56 PM

^As did S1/S2.  Those two recently received individual SS releases.

#265 of 272 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted September 23 2014 - 04:01 PM

^As did S1/S2.  Those two recently received individual SS releases.

I remember that crappy foam packaging that held the discs in that original s1/s2 Sliders set.  (The discs were single-sided to begin with).

The foam seemed to do weird things to the discs overtime.  My copy looked like it was sitting in a warehouse for ages.

#266 of 272 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,614 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted September 23 2014 - 08:26 PM

I remember that crappy foam packaging that held the discs in that original s1/s2 Sliders set.  (The discs were single-sided to begin with).

The foam seemed to do weird things to the discs overtime.  My copy looked like it was sitting in a warehouse for ages.

Of course they are since I didn't look at my set to verify before posting!  I've been on somewhat a mission to replace them for so long because of the crappy package I'd zoned and begun thinking they were DS discs!  And I'd still do it *if* the price were right.

Even so... that full series set is horribly overpriced!  But if it gets a separate SS season 3 release out there as a result it'll be a good thing...

#267 of 272 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,158 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted September 24 2014 - 02:10 AM

I yanked that foam out and stored the discs in separate cases years ago.

They still fit in the original box, so the set is intact. But that floating disc effect was rather pointless.

#268 of 272 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted September 24 2014 - 11:57 AM

Even so... that full series set is horribly overpriced!  But if it gets a separate SS season 3 release out there as a result it'll be a good thing...

Most likely the price will tumble after awhile.

I might pick up the Quantum Leap complete series set, once it hits the $50 mark (or less).  For that matter, if the seasons 2 to 5 single-sided discs re-released sets are released individually and are less than $15 a pop.  (Whichever comes first).

For Sliders, I only really want the season 3 set re-released as single-side discs.  (I already have all the other sets).  The complete series set would have to hit rock bottom prices for me to pull the trigger.  Otherwise I can wait for season 3 to be re-released as an individual set.

• BobO'Link likes this

#269 of 272 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted October 03 2014 - 07:48 AM

The other thing that is really annoying about flipper discs, is when the manufacturer completely drops the ball and ends up manufacturing flippers with the wrong content on a disk side.

Recently I ordered Alien Nation - Ultimate Movie Collection, which had the five post-series telemovies.  The five movies were:

- Dark Horizon

- Body and Soul

- Millennium

- The Enemy Within

- The Udara Legacy

http://en.wikipedia....es)#DVD_release

Much to my dismay, my copy only had four of the movies.  The flipper discs had two copies of the same movie "Millennium", while the "Body and Soul" movie was missing.

So I ended up returning it for an exchange.  Hopefully the replacement copy will have all the correct five movies.

(The previous time I came across a mis-manufactured flipper disc with the wrong content, was when I first got the season 1+2 set of the original Dallas, which I later returned).

#270 of 272 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted October 03 2014 - 07:51 AM

In the amazon reviews for Alien Nation - Ultimate Movie Collection, I noticed there were a few reviews which mentioned mis-manufactured flipper discs with the wrong movie.

#271 of 272 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted October 03 2014 - 07:55 AM

(More generally).

I suppose this hammers home the point, that one should immediately check every new purchase of a dvd/bluray disc as soon as one gets home.  Even if it's to minimally check whether the discs have all the correct content, and to find if there are any incorrectly manufactured discs with the wrong content.

#272 of 272 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted October 04 2014 - 03:49 PM

The Hunger

- season 1

new ASIN - B005OA71BC

(old ASIN - B003FLLPYG )

The following don't appear to have any updated ASIN numbers.

The Hunger

- season 2

(ASIN - B003FLLPYQ )

Against my better judgement, I recently picked up seasons 1 and 2 of The Hunger in the original atrocious crappy packaging, after finding them in the local dump bins.  (They were too good of a deal to pass up).

To find a set that had the least likelihood of the discs being warped by the atrocious packaging, I looked for the sets which made the most amount of "noise" from loose discs sliding around in the package, when the package was shaken.  Fortunately when I got home and opened up the two packages, none of the discs were warped or scratched.

I guess I got lucky this time around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users